Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1919 Ruth vs 2021 Ohtani (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305740)

frankbmd 08-07-2021 09:28 AM

Breaking News

The Allied forces secret weapon leading to victory at The Battle of the Bulge was none other than Babe Ruth.

Now you know the rest of the story.

frankbmd 08-07-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2131190)
The Allied forces secret weapon leading to victory at The Battle of the Bulge was none other than Babe Ruth.

And after that Babe Ruth walked on water from Pearl Harbor to Iwo Jima.;)

todeen 08-07-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2131172)
For modern cards I would buy, depending on which you like best, the base of the first Topps or Topps Chrome card, or the base Heritage card. I avoid all the other million issues.

I agree, I stick with Topps and Topps Chrome. Some Heritage. I will buy other Topps products for autographs, though. I really like the Clearly Authentic stuff this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

todeen 08-07-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2131190)

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2131192)
And after that Babe Ruth walked on water from Pearl Harbor to Iwo Jima.;)

Thanks Paul Harvey. Thumbs up emoji.

todeen 08-07-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2131189)
I agree with you completely, but you can't get through to these guys, no matter what you come up with or say. They are loaded with today's facts and stats. They've had big drinks of the sacred Kool-Aid. Today's ballplayers are just so much better, never mind Jacoby Ellsberry and Giancarlo "don't call me Mike" Stanton, neither of which can get over their hangnails, but can sure draw a big paycheck. Obviously MLB was Wiffel Ball back when Ruth played. Walter "The Big Train" Johnson was really throwing slow-pitch softballs. All other pitchers were tossing even slower, maybe even placing T-balls. Ray Chapman didn't die from being hit in the head from one of those balls of fluff, he died of fright.

I guess it was recently the anniversary of when Nolan Ryan showed Robin Ventura that yesterday's stars are stronger than the young guns think. My 8yo son sure enjoyed the video. I think that's symbolic of this argument about Ohtani and Ruth.

frankbmd 08-07-2021 11:07 AM

https://www.collectorfocus.com/image...p/78211/ohtani

Ricky 08-07-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2131189)
I agree with you completely, but you can't get through to these guys, no matter what you come up with or say. They are loaded with today's facts and stats. They've had big drinks of the sacred Kool-Aid. Today's ballplayers are just so much better, never mind Jacoby Ellsberry and Giancarlo "don't call me Mike" Stanton, neither of which can get over their hangnails, but can sure draw a big paycheck. Obviously MLB was Wiffel Ball back when Ruth played. Walter "The Big Train" Johnson was really throwing slow-pitch softballs. All other pitchers were tossing even slower, maybe even placing T-balls. Ray Chapman didn't die from being hit in the head from one of those balls of fluff, he died of fright.

No one ever said any of this... drama queen much?

No one ever said pitchers were lobbing softballs up to the plate or throwing Little League speed... unless you know Little Leaguers throwing 85 mph... sign 'em up!

But Johnson's pitches were recorded and measured at 89 mph. And you can certainly die from being hit in the head by an 85 mph fastball. Why is it so hard for you to accept that pitchers in 1900-1920 weren't throwing 95-100 mph gas all game long? You still haven't explained to any of us how these guys were piling up 300-400 innings year after year, pitching complete games every third day all season long? Throwing 95-100 all game and not breaking down? And, for the most part, they were smaller than men of today and not as well trained. Uh huh... here's a clue: they played in the Dead Ball Era. The ball didn't carry... so they didn't have to throw as hard. Players used much heavier bats to just get the bat on the ball, easier when it was being thrown 80-85. Walter Johnson only struck out 5 in every 9 innings... and when the live ball era started in the 1920s, pitchers had to throw harder more often and as a result, innings pitched came down and batters went to lighter bats so they could get around on pitches. Which part of this is illogical to you?

And the OP simply stated that Ohtani was doing something that hadn't been done since Ruth in 1919... pitching in the regular rotation and playing and hitting in games where he wasn't pitching. Which is true. No one ever said that Ohtani was or will be a better player than Ruth, or that his 2021 season is better than Ruth's. Just that he is doing something we haven't seen in 100+ years. I don't know how people have misinterpreted what Frank originally wrote so badly.

Peter_Spaeth 08-07-2021 02:35 PM

Maybe, Rich, it's because to justify spending so much money on vintage cards people have to believe the players from the pre-war days not only were better in relative terms, but were better in absolute terms. Maybe that explains the bias I referred to in an early post? It's certainly a misplaced romantic notion that baseball somehow is exempt from the same trends we see in other sports. Or that players back then somehow had superior character. Etc.

Relative to his times, Ruth clearly is the best player ever, and likely always will be. But that doesn't seem to be enough to appease the mob.

frankbmd 08-24-2021 07:44 AM

Farmers in the Hall of Fame?

Thought this belongs in this thread

Added without comment

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/shohe...than-babe-ruth

bnorth 08-24-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2137752)
Thought this belongs in this thread

Added without comment

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/shohe...than-babe-ruth

My comment is David Justice is correct about Babe Ruth for the most part. Ohtani is having the greatest year in baseball history. :eek::D:D:D

toledo_mudhen 08-24-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2131220)

Frank - I want one!

BTW - I got underwear older than this kid..... TMI?

Peter_Spaeth 08-24-2021 03:24 PM

He's hitting .270. Presented without comment.

toledo_mudhen 08-24-2021 03:39 PM

also presented without comment -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31348924382...4AAOSwvRBgd9UL

Directly 08-24-2021 03:51 PM

Nice investment flip

A investor/collector I know bought a Ohtani certified autographed card pulled out of pack numbered to 99 for $150.00 two years ago, sold it last week for $3,000--

frankbmd 08-24-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 2137884)
Frank - I want one!

BTW - I got underwear older than this kid..... TMI?

If you are suggesting a trade, I'll respectfully pass.

Tabe 08-24-2021 04:53 PM

Other than the subtle shot at Ruth for only winning 1 MVP*, I don't have much fault with the article. I don't necessarily agree with Justice's conclusion but he's not wrong about the differences in competition**.

* - Since they were only allowed to win 1 back then

** - Ohtani isn't facing Mariano River or Randy Johnson either.

profholt82 08-24-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2137896)
If you are suggesting a trade, I'll respectfully pass.

I laughed a little too hard at this. Well done.

mrreality68 08-25-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tabe (Post 2137916)
Other than the subtle shot at Ruth for only winning 1 MVP*, I don't have much fault with the article. I don't necessarily agree with Justice's conclusion but he's not wrong about the differences in competition**.

* - Since they were only allowed to win 1 back then

** - Ohtani isn't facing Mariano River or Randy Johnson either.

Agreed the article has some valid points but the bottom line is
Ruth is great and is an icon
Ohtani is have a great year. And lets see what he can do with his career

Lets enjoy the Past, present , and future

Tabe 08-25-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2138106)
Agreed the article has some valid points but the bottom line is
Ruth is great and is an icon
Ohtani is have a great year. And lets see what he can do with his career

Lets enjoy the Past, present , and future

I agree. Ohtani is 26 and hasn't played a truly full season in the majors yet and only parts of 3 others besides this one. We're basically comparing Ohtani to full-career Ruth when we should be comparing him to Ruth up through 1917 or 1918.

frankbmd 08-25-2021 03:46 PM

In terms of how they were used 1919 is the closest match to 2021.

Once agan I was never comparing Ohtani’s career to Babe’s career.

I’m not that dumb.

Frank A 08-25-2021 03:54 PM

I have been following Ohtani pretty closely all year. He is an unbelievable talent. I am fascinated at his ability to Pitch so well and Hit so good. It will take a long time for him to be Babe Ruth, who is the best player of all time. Not sure in this day and age a player can do it. He has brought excitement back to me in baseball. I wish him the best.