Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Clever marketing (my vote), total BS (or what’s the difference?) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294297)

Belfast1933 01-03-2021 05:33 PM

Clever marketing (my vote), total BS (or what’s the difference?)

Wondering if experienced members have ever analyzed PWCC’s use of “PWCC Certified, top xx% eye appeal”

Like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Topps-....m46890.l49292

I wonder how much extra attention and $$ this generates for them.... I actually think it’s pretty clever as long as they don’t pull that card (excuse the pun) too frequently.

It does get my attention a little more on a card that has their recognizable symbol. I know PWCC is not a board fave (not with me as small time collector, either)

But I have to say that their marketing tricks and some business models are pretty effective. Had anyone ever studied their use of this extra “kicker?”

Thx for weighing in... curious to hear your opinions and experiences

Jeff

swarmee 01-03-2021 05:43 PM

It was studied last year, and it was found that it was mainly on cards that Brent's buddies purchased to trim to improve the centering/eye appeal, sent back to PSA for a number grade, and fenced through PWCC again. Probably half of the stickers for eye appeal were outed to be altered. It was practically a flashlight shining on them.

Casey2296 01-03-2021 05:47 PM

I trust my own eyes and feeling for the card. I choose eye appeal over grading every time and I don't have a need for pwcc to tell me what I should think.

sreader3 01-03-2021 05:47 PM

Hard to prove, but looking at final prices over a number of years I would say that PWCC's "top x% eye appeal" marketing exacts a substantial premium above would be realized just from looking at the scans. Not saying whether this is good or bad. It just is.

upstateNYmilb 01-03-2021 06:01 PM

As soon as I see "PWCC" I'm out, won't even consider it. Honestly, I'm surprised any knowledgeable collector would consider purchasing from them.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

doug.goodman 01-03-2021 09:18 PM

They should put the slab in a slab, that would make the most sense.

Doug "insert smiley face here" Goodman

toledo_mudhen 01-04-2021 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belfast1933 (Post 2052435)
Wondering if experienced members have ever analyzed PWCC’s use of “PWCC Certified, top xx% eye appeal”

Like this one:

Jeff

So if this Clemente was sitting in a PSA 7 holder without the PWCC Sticker - Would you question the grade?

skelly423 01-04-2021 04:10 AM

Whether you love them or hate them, I think PWCC has identified and exploited a flaw in the grading system. We all know that not all PSA (or SGC, etc.) 4s are the same. I have owned PSA 2.5s that are objectively nicer in hand than many PSA 6s. Eye appeal matters a lot in evaluating a card, and visually appealing cards for a given grade should sell at a premium. I think PWCC's eye appeal system is brilliant marketing.

All that having been said, my opinion of eye appeal is well centered cards without creases. I don't care about corners and edges. For other collectors, good corners and edges are the number one factor in evaluating eye appeal, and creasing/centering don't matter. I don't know how PWCC can consistently designate a card as having strong eye appeal for something that is such a personal opinion. I also wouldn't put it past them to have ulterior motives in designating certain cards as having strong eye appeal.

bnorth 01-04-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2052437)
It was studied last year, and it was found that it was mainly on cards that Brent's buddies purchased to trim to improve the centering/eye appeal, sent back to PSA for a number grade, and fenced through PWCC again. Probably half of the stickers for eye appeal were outed to be altered. It was practically a flashlight shining on them.

Nobody but maybe 5 people care about PSA or PWCC being allegedly corrupt. All that matters is the $ signs. I was on the same same side as you for a few decades. Now after being harassed by many of the hobby icons for calling them out I just plain don't care. Let the scammers have the hobby and now I enjoy the small part I control(my buying habits).

steve B 01-04-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 2052534)
So if this Clemente was sitting in a PSA 7 holder without the PWCC Sticker - Would you question the grade?

Yes, because I believe it's trimmed.

Johnny630 01-04-2021 10:39 AM

Any Updates on the 2019 FBI Subpoenas that we’re served at the 2019 National In Chicago ?

perezfan 01-04-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skelly423 (Post 2052536)
Whether you love them or hate them, I think PWCC has identified and exploited a flaw in the grading system. We all know that not all PSA (or SGC, etc.) 4s are the same. I have owned PSA 2.5s that are objectively nicer in hand than many PSA 6s. Eye appeal matters a lot in evaluating a card, and visually appealing cards for a given grade should sell at a premium. I think PWCC's eye appeal system is brilliant marketing.

All that having been said, my opinion of eye appeal is well centered cards without creases. I don't care about corners and edges. For other collectors, good corners and edges are the number one factor in evaluating eye appeal, and creasing/centering don't matter. I don't know how PWCC can consistently designate a card as having strong eye appeal for something that is such a personal opinion. I also wouldn't put it past them to have ulterior motives in designating certain cards as having strong eye appeal.

PWCC's fraudulent eye appeal stickering system means nothing... other than the card is very likely altered/trimmed. See link below with a recent example... just one of hundreds that have been exposed. God only knows how many more remain under the radar...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1432452

Anyone who's not familiar with this, please do your homework and do not buy into their bullsh*t hype.

Belfast1933 01-13-2021 02:25 AM

So.... just to put a bow tie on my original question, apparently the bidders have spoken and PWCC’s own kicker designation above and beyond the actual grade does make a TINY (!!!) difference here

To give context, PSA 6 Clemente’s have been selling in the last week from mid 600’s to mid 800’s, depending on the eye appeal of the card... and this one ended at over $1600!

I was blown away to wake up to see that this one (“superior, top 5%”) sold for an almost 100% premium over recent sales prices

(If anyone here is still watching this thread, would love to hear what “private listing” means for the bidders on this card. All bids are listed that way when you explore the bid details, at least on the app)

Crazy. I just don’t get it.