Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   '83 Topps Tony Gwynn is now a $2k+ card??? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294785)

scmavl 01-13-2021 09:24 PM

'83 Topps Tony Gwynn is now a $2k+ card???
 
In PSA 10, this card is now going for over $2000. This blows me away. The pop is 671 for PSA 10, so it's not rare. Wow.

maniac_73 01-13-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2055747)
In PSA 10, this card is now going for over $2000. This blows me away. The pop is 671 for PSA 10, so it's not rare. Wow.

The pops on Luka Doncic and Zions psa 10 I believe are 12k or something like that and the price of those cards is bonkers. A 671 pop seems like a magee error rarity in comparison lol

scmavl 01-14-2021 11:41 AM

Sure Costa, but those are current athletes. I get the rising prices on those, just like Trout. But this is a junk wax card of someone who is deceased and hasn't played in 20 years. I would've guessed $250 or something!

maniac_73 01-14-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2055871)
Sure Costa, but those are current athletes. I get the rising prices on those, just like Trout. But this is a junk wax card of someone who is deceased and hasn't played in 20 years. I would've guessed $250 or something!

I think in the last few years people are starting to appreciate exactly how good of a hitter Gwynn was. I always felt he never got his due playing in SD

Klrdds 01-16-2021 05:46 PM

I donít consider Gwynnís 1983 Topps rookie card part of the junk wax era , IMO this card preceded it by 3-5 years . Interesting note I was offered this card just today PSA 10 for $2499 and I was accepting it about 1 hr after the offer and it was gone about 45 minutes before I accepted.
Like a lot of RCs his card is traveling upward . For example look at how fast the Upper Deck 1989 Griffey has gone up .

TG19 01-18-2021 02:10 PM

Now over 3k?!?

obiwan1129 01-18-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2055747)
In PSA 10, this card is now going for over $2000. This blows me away. The pop is 671 for PSA 10, so it's not rare. Wow.

It is crazy. I'm not sure what the deal is but EVERYONE keeps saying they can't find cards. When they do, the prices are high or it gets bought out from underneath them. I've been on the lookout for a Dawson Topps RC PSA 10, should have pulled the trigger a few months ago on it. It is showing up $1-2k more than early December. At least that population count is much lower than the Gwynn.

Klrdds 01-18-2021 04:38 PM

If you are talking about the 1983 Topps Gwynn listed on eBay for $3499 there is what I consider an interesting side note on this particular card / seller and what the seller did on this past Saturday / Sunday with the listing. Nothing illegal or unethical but he's just trying to maximize the price he can get for the card maybe without knowing about what possibly occurred with another listing for a Gwynn 1983 Topps.

chalupacollects 01-22-2021 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 2057394)
If you are talking about the 1983 Topps Gwynn listed on eBay for $3499 there is what I consider an interesting side note on this particular card / seller and what the seller did on this past Saturday / Sunday with the listing. Nothing illegal or unethical but he's just trying to maximize the price he can get for the card maybe without knowing about what possibly occurred with another listing for a Gwynn 1983 Topps.

So what is the side note?

Klrdds 01-22-2021 12:06 PM

chalupacollects ... PM sent to you . It's nothing earth shattering just an observation , but I didn't want to out give the appearance of outing something.

t_vguy 01-24-2021 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 2055871)
Sure Costa, but those are current athletes. I get the rising prices on those, just like Trout. But this is a junk wax card of someone who is deceased and hasn't played in 20 years. I would've guessed $250 or something!

I don't consider '83 Topps "junk wax", it's not 1992 Leaf or Topps. 600 odd cards is very low considering the amount of 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr's graded in a PSA 10 - 3,903.

scmavl 01-24-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t_vguy (Post 2059495)
I don't consider '83 Topps "junk wax", it's not 1992 Leaf or Topps. 600 odd cards is very low considering the amount of 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr's graded in a PSA 10 - 3,903.

I think itís right on the edge of it. 7-8 years ago, Iíd buy Ď83 packs from BBCE for $3-4 bucks. But I just grabbed a wax box last week and it was a grand. So if it was junk wax, IT AINíT NO MORE. :eek:

cesarcap 01-24-2021 09:38 PM

I don't think my raw Gwynns and Griffey's in penny sleeves and top loaders will become PSA 10's but I'm going to have to check the boxes in my closets which sat there for 23+ years just to make sure....

Republicaninmass 01-24-2021 09:41 PM

you mean there is MORE???

CJinPA 02-15-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2055906)
I think in the last few years people are starting to appreciate exactly how good of a hitter Gwynn was. I always felt he never got his due playing in SD

Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 117 times in his career - ZERO strikeouts.

Vs. Pedro Martinez? Another 100+ AB's - ZERO strikeouts

Dude used his bat like a wand!

7nohitter 02-18-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJinPA (Post 2069015)
Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 117 times in his career - ZERO strikeouts.

Vs. Pedro Martinez? Another 100+ AB's - ZERO strikeouts

Dude used his bat like a wand!

Now that is beyond freaking amazing.

cardsagain74 02-18-2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJinPA (Post 2069015)
Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 117 times in his career - ZERO strikeouts.

Vs. Pedro Martinez? Another 100+ AB's - ZERO strikeouts

Dude used his bat like a wand!

He had about 35 AB against Pedro. Not that it all still isn't amazing! I would take Gywnn over any of the old-timers (as the best line drive hitter ever).

And even with a higher '80s pop, Gwynn's cards are still highly undervalued compared to Pete Rose.

deweyinthehall 02-19-2021 07:18 AM

With what the Henderson PSA 10 just went for, wouldn't be surprised to see a 10 Gwynn make 5 figures soon....

scmavl 02-19-2021 08:33 AM

I don't doubt it.

TG19 02-21-2021 03:24 PM

GWYNN OPC 1983 went for $12K already....I think it's just the start due to a lower POP....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.