Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Tatis contract (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297088)

doug.goodman 02-19-2021 05:37 PM

Tatis contract

2 Attachment(s)
In honor of Fernando Tatis, Jr. signing a $340mil deal after playing 143 ML games, I would like to present these two items from my collection.

Doug

todeen 02-19-2021 06:17 PM

I didn't know anything about this guy. I had to look him up. I guess a more modern example that I could relate to is Rick Ankiel..... although Ankiel was skilled enough to return as an outfielder.

D. Bergin 02-19-2021 10:15 PM

It's the only way a franchise like the Padres can wrap somebody like Tatis up, through the entirety of his prime.

It's a big gamble for the Padres but if he even comes close to reaching his potential, it will be a bargain (cough, cough) for the Padres at $24 Million a year.

To put it in perspective, 7 years ago, the Yankees gave a 30 year-old injury prone Jacob Ellsbury, a $21+ Million a year, 7 year contract.

Unless Tatis suffers a brutal injury, I think this will work out much better for the Padres.

pclpads 02-20-2021 01:49 AM

Tatis Jr.

Short career so far, but the kid's a helluva ballplayer. Potential in spades. Still, I'm betting inside of 3 years, he'll claim he's underpaid and cry and whine to renegotiate. To keep him fat and happy, the Padre clownocracy will have to make him a part owner of any renegotiation cuz the Pads' pockets are barren. Book it!

Schlesinj 02-20-2021 07:03 AM

What I found most interesting is he was one of the minor leaguers that signed an agreement with that investor/former Phillies minor leaguer firm to provide him up front money (while in minors) for a % of his future earnings. From what I read that firm will make $30mm. It just seems odd that he was a son of a former big leaguer, so you would think at that time he had some access to cash.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fernand...es-11613732572

doug.goodman 03-01-2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2070823)
I didn't know anything about this guy. I had to look him up. I guess a more modern example that I could relate to is Rick Ankiel..... although Ankiel was skilled enough to return as an outfielder.

Damn, I'm old.

packs 03-02-2021 07:58 AM

I remember when Jon Singleton signed a 10 year / 10 million dollar contract with the Astros before ever appearing in a major league game and most current players thought he was stupid and that the Astros robbed him.

Jon Singleton went on to have more career strikeouts than games played in a two season career.

Take the money always but what are the Padres paying for? It's not going to amount to ticket sales. The Padres will never be a hot ticket. I think you'd have to win 2 or 3 titles for that tag to be worth it.

scmavl 03-02-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2075672)
I remember when Jon Singleton signed a 10 year / 10 million dollar contract with the Astros before ever appearing in a major league game and most current players thought he was stupid and that the Astros robbed him.

Jon Singleton went on to have more career strikeouts than games played in a two season career.

Thanks for posting this. I was going through a box of cards this weekend and ran across a RC of his. Always wondered what happened, as he was hot in 2010 or so.

packs 03-02-2021 12:07 PM

2021 will be Singleton's final contract year. Not bad for a guy who hasn't played in organized baseball since 2017.

ALR-bishop 03-04-2021 06:39 AM

Doug— had not realized before how old you really are

doug.goodman 03-06-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2076548)
Doug— had not realized before how old you really are

Because of my "youthful good looks"?

Snapolit1 03-10-2021 02:00 PM

It was the first crazy sports contract of my lifetime where I did the math and first thing I though of was "jeez. . . .I might not be alive to see how this turns out . . . "

packs 03-25-2021 08:06 AM

Well not to be outdone in a smaller way, the Astros have given Lance McCullers an 85 million dollar extension. Not bad for a guy who hasn't won more than 10 games in a season or pitched more than 128 innings.

packs 04-06-2021 08:16 AM

Uh oh

D. Bergin 04-06-2021 09:57 AM

Ok, I originally thought this was a good signing by the Padres...........and then I just read.

Quote:

Tingler said then that Tatis had been dealing with left shoulder discomfort since his minor league days. Tatis later said he'd had it since rookie ball.
:eek:

packs 04-06-2021 10:37 AM

I think Conforto had a similar injury and doesn't seem too hampered by it now. Still though, from my understanding this is the type of injury that has the potential to lead to recurring dislocations.

the 'stache 04-12-2021 09:11 AM

That they had to make an announcement his shoulder injury wouldn't require surgery...almost frightens me more than if he needed it, if I'm a Padres fan.

On some level, it feels like ownership was not only giving fans a sigh of relief, but they were somehow trying to justify what they spent. As in, "he's not damaged, and after some rest, he can play again."

He was OPSing .619 when we went down. Small sample size, but...

I get that they felt they had to sign him long term, but no matter how proactive I'm being as a team, trying to lock him in long term at what will eventually be a bargain--I'm waiting to see him play one full season, minimum, first. And no, playing 59 of 59 games in 2020 doesn't count.

I'm getting a bad vibe from this.

darwinbulldog 04-12-2021 09:20 AM

I'm just relieved to have gotten outbid on a few of his shiny rookie auto cards the week after he signed the contract.

packs 04-12-2021 09:54 AM

I'm trying to wait and vulture one just in case. I did the same thing with Julio Urias and it looks like maybe it'll work out for me.