Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How is this not fraud? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297049)

Wimberleycardcollector 02-19-2021 09:37 AM

How is this not fraud?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey...1/373458437432

This guy has sold this same card a dozen times for 14.95 up to over 1800.00. Obviously a fake as it's the same card in every auction. On the other hand do people never check feedback? Half a dozen negatives stating it's a fake and one guy says he's going to the AG. Sometimes I don't feel sorry for the people who just bid and don't read or research. I can't believe Ebay let's him get away with it.

perezfan 02-19-2021 12:29 PM

Q. What do Ebay and the current TPGs have in common?

A. They are the two biggest fraud enablers in the hobby business.

Seriously, how does eBay continue to allow this, and not ban these sellers?

And how are bidders so naive, as to not check the feedback of a completely unknown/unproven source?

NiceDocter 02-19-2021 01:01 PM

Fake

OK so its a fake but MAN LOOK HOW GREAT THOSE CORNERS ARE!

x2drich2000 02-19-2021 01:01 PM

Quite simple, while obvious to us it is fake, the seller never actually claims the card is real.

Snapolit1 02-19-2021 01:08 PM

Ebay has about 1.5 billion items listed a day. I really don’t think it’s reasonable for them to weed out every potential permutation of fraud or altered item that anyone could conceivably list on their website. Just my opinion. And, as pointed out, many of these listings are written up in an ambiguous way.

Hell is other people. Not websites, which are tools that can be good or bad depending on the bozos who use them.

drcy 02-19-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 2070681)
Quite simple, while obvious to us it is fake, the seller never actually claims the card is real.

You have to state what you are selling. Handing a counterfeit bill to a cashier and said "I never claimed it was real" will be no excuse.

There was an infamous painting forger who said he never claimed at sale that they were centuries-old originals. He said the buyers came to that conclusion themselves. The police and judge that convicted him said that wasn't enough. He knew they were modern forgeries, so was required to inform sellers. Not telling them that they were fakes he himself made was the legal equivalent of saying they were originals.

There is such a thing as lying by omission.

J-Yo 02-19-2021 01:50 PM

Yea that’s crazy that people spending that kind of $ don’t do any research. If it’s over $100 I research thoroughly, use Beckett or PSA quick opinions etc. A quick 5 minutes into this guys feedback shows he sold a locked iPhone and the exact same card at least 2x that he claims was a gift. Mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutbum97 02-19-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector (Post 2070602)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey...1/373458437432

This guy has sold this same card a dozen times for 14.95 up to over 1800.00. Obviously a fake as it's the same card in every auction. On the other hand do people never check feedback? Half a dozen negatives stating it's a fake and one guy says he's going to the AG. Sometimes I don't feel sorry for the people who just bid and don't read or research. I can't believe Ebay let's him get away with it.

Scroll through his feedback - wow :confused:

"Seller sold an stolen phone. Apple lock and he never mention in description.
Apple iPhone 6s - 32GB - AT&T - SOLD AS IS (#372630320879)"

obiwan1129 02-19-2021 03:41 PM

Ebay is always a funny place. Computer graphics cards are in incredibly high demand right now. A number of scalpers using bots buy them in bulk online or through Ebay, mark them up and then try to resell them on Ebay for even more money.

A number of folks started posting up a "picture" of a graphics card and conducting auctions on there to slow down the scalpers and their bots. If you at all read the auction description you would see it was a picture that you were bidding on. Ebay to their credit shut a lot of these down pretty quickly but I did like the thought of messing with them.

ASF123 02-19-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2070699)
You have to state what you are selling. Handing a counterfeit bill to a cashier and said "I never claimed it was real" will be no excuse.

There was an infamous painting forger who said he never claimed at sale that they were centuries-old originals. He said the buyers came to that conclusion themselves. The police and judge that convicted him said that wasn't enough. He knew they were modern forgeries, so was required to inform sellers. Not telling them that they were fakes he himself made was the legal equivalent of saying they were originals.

If, in the context of a fraud claim, discovery turned up evidence that the seller actually knew the card was fake (which it probably would), then he could be guilty/liable. But for the purposes of a buyer getting his/her money back, unfortunately listing it with "I don't know if it's fake or real" is probably enough for eBay to refuse to get involved.

Wimberleycardcollector 02-19-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Yo (Post 2070700)
Yea that’s crazy that people spending that kind of $ don’t do any research. If it’s over $100 I research thoroughly, use Beckett or PSA quick opinions etc. A quick 5 minutes into this guys feedback shows he sold a locked iPhone and the exact same card at least 2x that he claims was a gift. Mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, he was gifted many times over. At least try change up the write up some. LOL.

Wimberleycardcollector 02-19-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

My point exactly. If he hadn't listed the exact same thing a dozen times it might be a little less fraud like. Maybe he discovered a hoard of perfect 33 Goudey Ruth cards. LOL.

Wimberleycardcollector 02-19-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2070685)
Ebay has about 1.5 billion items listed a day. I really don’t think it’s reasonable for them to weed out every potential permutation of fraud or altered item that anyone could conceivably list on their website. Just my opinion. And, as pointed out, many of these listings are written up in an ambiguous way.

Hell is other people. Not websites, which are tools that can be good or bad depending on the bozos who use them.

Yes, but when people complain to Ebay they've been ripped off as in this case (check the feedback) then I think Ebay has some responsibility to check it out. The last two buyers were out a significant amount of money.

drcy 02-19-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASF123 (Post 2070747)
If, in the context of a fraud claim, discovery turned up evidence that the seller actually knew the card was fake (which it probably would), then he could be guilty/liable. But for the purposes of a buyer getting his/her money back, unfortunately listing it with "I don't know if it's fake or real" is probably enough for eBay to refuse to get involved.

Ebay's own rule is if you don't know what it is, you shouldn't be selling it. His saying (honestly or dishonestly) he doesn't know if it is real or reprint is enough for the sale to have been against eBay's rules.

Tabe 02-19-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 2070681)

He lists it as a Goudey in the title. That's claiming it as real, regardless of the nonsense equivocation later.

troutbum97 02-19-2021 09:37 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Bowman...0AAOSwQ-NgKnuk

Check out this seller:

* Claims professionally graded ("CGS 4").
* Eight photos - none of the actual grading label.
* Declares no returns for "buyers remorse".

Casey2296 02-19-2021 09:51 PM

I learned a long time ago not to trust guys selling speakers out of the back of their van. Why would you think your getting a 10k card for 1500 bucks. We all have to learn the grifter lesson at some point in our lives.

Be thankful that dealing with longtime members here you can trust their integrity.

Fballguy 02-21-2021 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2070685)
Ebay has about 1.5 billion items listed a day. I really don’t think it’s reasonable for them to weed out every potential permutation of fraud or altered item that anyone could conceivably list on their website. Just my opinion.

Yikes. That's one way to look at it. I guess. :confused:

Another way is I've alerted them 100s of times and they've done nothing except continue to collect fees off fraudulent sales.

Santo10Fan 02-21-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

This is how the guy blackmails/leverages his wife in Tenet

Santo10Fan 02-21-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obiwan1129 (Post 2070741)
Ebay is always a funny place. Computer graphics cards are in incredibly high demand right now. A number of scalpers using bots buy them in bulk online or through Ebay, mark them up and then try to resell them on Ebay for even more money.

A number of folks started posting up a "picture" of a graphics card and conducting auctions on there to slow down the scalpers and their bots. If you at all read the auction description you would see it was a picture that you were bidding on. Ebay to their credit shut a lot of these down pretty quickly but I did like the thought of messing with them.

Those cards have been hot for years because of bitcoin mining.

robw1959 02-21-2021 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASF123 (Post 2070747)

From my experience on eBay, this simply isn't true. They do have a standard in place to the effect of, "A seller cannot disclaim knowledge of authenticity of the item(s) being listed." They even provide an example - something like a Gucci purse that may be a knockoff, but the seller asserts no knowledge whether it's real or not. What has been very confusing about this policy is that several years ago they added a category called "Unknown". So they are letting sellers choose to break the rules by selecting "Unknown" for their listings! However, if you as the buyer purchase one of these "Unknown" listings, you can cite the policy and get your money back upon returning the phony merchandise. I have done it myself. You can even report listings that are in violation of this policy by finding and selecting the specific reason for the violation in a series of drop-down menus! On that basis, I have reported sellers' listings many, many times, but it sure doesn't look like eBay is planning to police themselves on the issue any time soon.

Tabe 02-21-2021 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2071554)
Yikes. That's one way to look at it. I guess. :confused:

Another way is I've alerted them 100s of times and they've done nothing except continue to collect fees off fraudulent sales.

Years ago, eBay sent out a holiday catalog with a counterfeit Peyton Manning jersey on the cover. They LOVE fraud.