Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   PSA Bulk $18 pre/post 1980 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=325927)

Mike D. 10-06-2022 08:20 PM

PSA Bulk $18 pre/post 1980

Looks like PSA has reduced their bulk price from $22 to $18 and changed the years from pre/post 1995 to pre/post 1980.

Makes putting a sub together a little easier, and while $18 isn't like pre-pandemic prices, $4 off the last price isn't a bad thing.

bobbyw8469 10-06-2022 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2270918)
Looks like PSA has reduced their bulk price from $22 to $18 and changed the years from pre/post 1995 to pre/post 1980.

Makes putting a sub together a little easier, and while $18 isn't like pre-pandemic prices, $4 off the last price isn't a bad thing.

We got $18 as a National special. SGC is now $18 also with a larger maximum value and quicker turnaround times.

Casey2296 10-06-2022 08:27 PM

Turn times? Cuz a young couple could have produced two children from conception to birth during the Swingin' 60's sub.

Mike D. 10-07-2022 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2270922)
Turn times? Cuz a young couple could have produced two children from conception to birth during the Swingin' 60's sub.

Estimated 120 calendar days.

So, not enough time to turn around children...but time for a good scare or two. :D

Mike D. 10-07-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2270921)
We got $18 as a National special. SGC is now $18 also with a larger maximum value and quicker turnaround times.

Yeah, I got a couple subs in during that "July Monthly Special" around the National. Nice to have that be the "regular" price now, though.

And yeah, SGC...I have like 875 PSA slabs, about 5 Beckett, and no SGC...not sure I can bring myself to add them to the mix. :)

hockeyhockey 10-08-2022 04:52 PM

if it's similar to the july submission turnaround dates, it won't take too long. they logged one of my $18 subs on september 7 and it's already done.

Mike D. 10-08-2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2271529)
if it's similar to the july submission turnaround dates, it won't take too long. they logged one of my $18 subs on september 7 and it's already done.

It's been faster, for sure, although still inconsistent. I sent two orders in July, one I already have back, the other is still in grading.

hockeyhockey 10-08-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2271569)
It's been faster, for sure, although still inconsistent. I sent two orders in July, one I already have back, the other is still in grading.

inconsistent for sure. i sent 2 orders in the same box. one is done and the other hasn't even gotten out of research/ID yet.

Zach Wheat 10-10-2022 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2271588)
inconsistent for sure. i sent 2 orders in the same box. one is done and the other hasn't even gotten out of research/ID yet.

They seem to be finishing the Pre-1996 orders quicker than the 1996+ cards.

Mike D. 10-10-2022 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2272123)
They seem to be finishing the Pre-1996 orders quicker than the 1996+ cards; possibly why they enlarged the vintage submission classification to 1980

Oddly enough with my subs, the opposite happened. My 1996-present sub was in my hands two weeks ago, my pre-1995 sub is still in grading (they were mailed to PSA the same day).

hockeyhockey 10-11-2022 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2272216)
Oddly enough with my subs, the opposite happened. My 1996-present sub was in my hands two weeks ago, my pre-1995 sub is still in grading (they were mailed to PSA the same day).

same. my 1996+ is done in a month, the pre-1995 is still in research/ID.

Mike D. 10-11-2022 05:16 PM

Clearly, PSA is monitoring this thread...my pre-1995 sub just moved into Assembly. :D

Zach Wheat 10-12-2022 11:24 AM

Clearly. So did one of mine :)

hockeyhockey 10-12-2022 05:52 PM

dammit, they missed my post

bnorth 10-12-2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2272875)
dammit, they missed my post

LOL, maybe we can each make one for the Clemens BS to come back correct from PSA.:)

hockeyhockey 10-13-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2272888)
LOL, maybe we can each make one for the Clemens BS to come back correct from PSA.:)

oddly they saw mine because the pre 1995 lot moved into grading :D

no movement on rocket since last we talked. still in QC (probably 12 people staring at the card wondering why they listed it as a PD)

RayBShotz 10-17-2022 07:18 AM

I predict that the latest round of $18 Bulk will be graded and returned long before the 120 Day promise. I'm thinking more like 60-75 days.
PSA has gobs of capacity now. The only thing that might hold up the works is if supply chain issues make plastic difficult to get.

Mike D. 10-17-2022 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBShotz (Post 2274212)
I predict that the latest round of $18 Bulk will be graded and returned long before the 120 Day promise. I'm thinking more like 60-75 days.
PSA has gobs of capacity now. The only thing that might hold up the works is if supply chain issues make plastic difficult to get.

I can't speak for this specific special, but I think that you're spot on about the extra capacity PSA has - it's kind of overlooked, but they're going to have a LOT more throughput capacity than any other time in their history.

Add that to the pandemic card bubble deflating and I think we'll see better turnaround times, slightly lower prices, and hopefully less complaining on the internet. :D

raulus 10-18-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2274290)
...and hopefully less complaining on the internet. :D

Hope springs eternal!

I wouldn't bet on this one though.

Mike D. 10-18-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2274630)
Hope springs eternal!

I wouldn't bet on this one though.

Yeah, may have been reaching a bit there. :D

Mike D. 10-19-2022 12:03 PM

That July "pre-1995" monthly special I'm waiting on just moved into QA1, so getting closer.

jimmer77 10-19-2022 05:57 PM

My grades from the "National Special" were just posted today. They were recieved on 8/11 so a little more than 2 months, I can live with that considering my Swinging Sixties submission took 18 months. With this I may be sending more cards to PSA vs SGC, my problem is I kind of like both even though for about 20 years I was primarily SGC, but a couple years ago I switched to PSA because of their specials and SGC prices were considerably higher at that time, but now seem both are in line with one another. I also have an order that arrived to SGC today, and another at PSA, so for now I may use both.

raulus 10-20-2022 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmer77 (Post 2275184)
My grades from the "National Special" were just posted today. They were recieved on 8/11 so a little more than 2 months, I can live with that considering my Swinging Sixties submission took 18 months. With this I may be sending more cards to PSA vs SGC, my problem is I kind of like both even though for about 20 years I was primarily SGC, but a couple years ago I switched to PSA because of their specials and SGC prices were considerably higher at that time, but now seem both are in line with one another. I also have an order that arrived to SGC today, and another at PSA, so for now I may use both.

How did you like the grades?

A lot of kvetching lately that they are grading incredibly hard, with cards getting 6s and 7s instead of 8s and 9s.

jimmer77 10-20-2022 06:48 PM

To be honest, I haven't looked, they shipped today and I am trying with all my will not to look until the box arrives. I usually look, so I know and I can either get over any disappointment before opening the box, but thought I would try something new, I am sure over the weekend I will give in and peek at the grades but for now will power.

hockeyhockey 10-21-2022 05:14 PM

waiting for the box is always fun.

i tried a new idea last week - pulled all the cert numbers from the lot (put a piece of paper over the rest of the info), and then entered them one at a time to see what they graded.

bnorth 10-21-2022 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2275974)
waiting for the box is always fun.

i tried a new idea last week - pulled all the cert numbers from the lot (put a piece of paper over the rest of the info), and then entered them one at a time to see what they graded.

How did you do?

hockeyhockey 10-21-2022 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2275988)
How did you do?

19 PSA 10 and 11 PSA 9. pretty nice haul.

Mike D. 10-22-2022 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2276038)
19 PSA 10 and 11 PSA 9. pretty nice haul.

Wow, yeah, that's impressive. What years? Any you're particularly thrilled with?

hockeyhockey 10-22-2022 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2276387)
Wow, yeah, that's impressive. What years? Any you're particularly thrilled with?

it was a 1996+ lot. most of the cards were from my friend's son. ton of hockey young guns. adam fox and tim stutzle 10s were probably the most exciting cards for hockey. couple of soto/acuna/ohtani/vlad ones that came back 10 also. honestly more fired up for my pre 1995 order. had a lot of 1950s stuff i just want to get into my card case.

Mike D. 10-23-2022 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2276442)
it was a 1996+ lot. most of the cards were from my friend's son. ton of hockey young guns. adam fox and tim stutzle 10s were probably the most exciting cards for hockey. couple of soto/acuna/ohtani/vlad ones that came back 10 also. honestly more fired up for my pre 1995 order. had a lot of 1950s stuff i just want to get into my card case.

Good stuff! I know what you mean about the pre-1995. Mine is in QA1 and I'm looking forward to it. Nothing huge money in that sub, but a few 1964 Topps, a Cam Neely RC I'm hoping is an "8", a 1985 Fleer Star Sticker Clemens, and a few minor league cards of players I think are future Hall of Famers (Cone, McGriff, Lofton, Wagner, Rolen, Nathan).

hockeyhockey 10-23-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2276516)
Good stuff! I know what you mean about the pre-1995. Mine is in QA1 and I'm looking forward to it. Nothing huge money in that sub, but a few 1964 Topps, a Cam Neely RC I'm hoping is an "8", a 1985 Fleer Star Sticker Clemens, and a few minor league cards of players I think are future Hall of Famers (Cone, McGriff, Lofton, Wagner, Rolen, Nathan).

you probably have one of the coolest minor league collections around.

is that neely topps or OPC? was my favorite player growing up. i had a PSA 9 OPC rookie of his a while ago, but now just have a lower grade one.

i have a few sadaharu oh cards in the older lot, and wonder if that has slowed the process down. was hard to find exact info on 1 of them, so if i had trouble, imagine how long it took them.

Mike D. 10-23-2022 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2276591)
you probably have one of the coolest minor league collections around.

is that neely topps or OPC? was my favorite player growing up. i had a PSA 9 OPC rookie of his a while ago, but now just have a lower grade one.

i have a few sadaharu oh cards in the older lot, and wonder if that has slowed the process down. was hard to find exact info on 1 of them, so if i had trouble, imagine how long it took them.

The minor league cards is a fun niche that I'm enjoying. For a very small investment, I'm starting to get a decent number of very low pop minor league cards (including several 1/1's).

The Neely is the OPC version. I've probably owned it raw for 20 years, and finally decided I was never going to shell out for a PSA 9, so might as well get mine graded.

That's very cool about the Sadaharu Oh cards. Please share pics when they find their way home.

hockeyhockey 10-23-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2276618)
The minor league cards is a fun niche that I'm enjoying. For a very small investment, I'm starting to get a decent number of very low pop minor league cards (including several 1/1's).

The Neely is the OPC version. I've probably owned it raw for 20 years, and finally decided I was never going to shell out for a PSA 9, so might as well get mine graded.

That's very cool about the Sadaharu Oh cards. Please share pics when they find their way home.

it's crazy how cheap some of the HOF minor league cards are (and some of them are not cheap at all...like the pittsfield maddux for one).

that's funny - my dad bought me the neely OPC raw when i was a kid, and i found it in my old card box a few years ago. graded out a 9, but i decided i didn't need a 9, so just downgraded.

i'll have to email you those pics, still have no clue how to properly upload a picture here...lol

RayBShotz 10-24-2022 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2276675)

i'll have to email you those pics, still have no clue how to properly upload a picture here...lol

I can help you here.

Below your posting area is a button that says manage attachments. Click that.

Then a button called choose file. Click that, choose the image from your hard drive.

Once you see that the image file has been chosen successfully, click the button that says upload. Once you see the blue link to the file uploaded, you can close that window and then click the button that says submit reply on your post.

Once this becomes a routine for you it literally takes 15 seconds as long as you have the image you want to post on your local hard drive.

If you are using an image hosting site I really can't help though.
RayB

hockeyhockey 10-24-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBShotz (Post 2276803)
I can help you here.

Below your posting area is a button that says manage attachments. Click that.

Then a button called choose file. Click that, choose the image from your hard drive.

Once you see that the image file has been chosen successfully, click the button that says upload. Once you see the blue link to the file uploaded, you can close that window and then click the button that says submit reply on your post.

Once this becomes a routine for you it literally takes 15 seconds as long as you have the image you want to post on your local hard drive.

If you are using an image hosting site I really can't help though.
RayB

thank you, ray. i'll give this a shot when the cards come back. i don't have high hopes for it working, but we'll see :)

Zach Wheat 10-24-2022 05:29 PM

If that doesn't work, you have to lower the file size. You can do this through any number of free programs by resizing the image. Files over a certain size do not upload and you do not get an error message.

-Z

Mike D. 11-01-2022 02:59 PM

My cards popped today. Grades are a bit of a mixed bag...with a few positive and a few negative.

The Cam Neely OPC RC came back a "6". I was hoping for a 7 or 8, but I was not that lucky.

On the bright side, the 1994 Fleer Excel Scott Rolen I subbed (pop 25) came back a 10. The 1995 Reading Phillies Eastern League Champions Rolen (total pop 4) came back a 9.

hockeyhockey 11-01-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2279469)
My cards popped today. Grades are a bit of a mixed bag...with a few positive and a few negative.

The Cam Neely OPC RC came back a "6". I was hoping for a 7 or 8, but I was not that lucky.

On the bright side, the 1994 Fleer Excel Scott Rolen I subbed (pop 25) came back a 10. The 1995 Reading Phillies Eastern League Champions Rolen (total pop 4) came back a 9.

ahhh, tough luck on that neely.

i see modern is now open for a $15 special til end of november. how low do you think these prices may go in the next few months?

Mike D. 11-01-2022 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2279537)
ahhh, tough luck on that neely.

i see modern is now open for a $15 special til end of november. how low do you think these prices may go in the next few months?

Yes, glad I dawdled...I was going to send in a sub last week, with 20 of the 21 cards being 1996-date. Now I'll save $3 a card.

Prices are going down, although slowly. I bet we see $15 value sometime in the first half of 2023, with maybe the occasional $12 bulk special.

Zach Wheat 11-11-2022 02:03 PM

It seems progress on vintage submissions has slowed to a crawl

hockeyhockey 11-15-2022 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 2282732)
It seems progress on vintage submissions has slowed to a crawl

yup, noticed the same. was fun while it lasted.

RayBShotz 11-18-2022 06:40 AM

My $18 Bulk went entry to shipped in 30 days with a sub that popped yesterday. (1996-present).

The change in the turn around time from a year ago is remarkable.
RayB

hockeyhockey 11-19-2022 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBShotz (Post 2284736)
My $18 Bulk went entry to shipped in 30 days with a sub that popped yesterday. (1996-present).

The change in the turn around time from a year ago is remarkable.
RayB

that's awesome. someday i'd love to get an inside look at how PSA handles submissions. it's all over the map.

i have 4 lots, all in grading. all have been in grading for a pretty long time. but certainly no complaints. the improvement in turnaround time is huge.

Exhibitman 11-21-2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2285081)
someday i'd love to get an inside look at how PSA handles submissions.

Wish fulfilled

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...nkey-darts.jpg

hockeyhockey 11-21-2022 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2285915)

well played :D

hockeyhockey 11-23-2022 11:40 AM

figure i'd ask in here instead of starting a new thread somewhere. i have an error card (hockey card where the back is a giant picture of a different player than the guy on the front --- as opposed to a normal back with stats, etc).

is there a way to submit that to PSA requesting that "XXX on back" would be included on the flip, indicating it to be an error? or is that not something that they do? i just want it for my PC, it's my favorite player that ended up on the back of the card.

appreciate the feedback on this. hope you all have a great thanksgiving.

raulus 11-23-2022 01:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2286539)
figure i'd ask in here instead of starting a new thread somewhere. i have an error card (hockey card where the back is a giant picture of a different player than the guy on the front --- as opposed to a normal back with stats, etc).

is there a way to submit that to PSA requesting that "XXX on back" would be included on the flip, indicating it to be an error? or is that not something that they do? i just want it for my PC, it's my favorite player that ended up on the back of the card.

appreciate the feedback on this. hope you all have a great thanksgiving.

They've definitely done it before, including recently, for me for this piece.

Update: Just remembered that this one had been previously slabbed. But it wasn't showing up in their database. So they made me send it in again, and they re-slabbed it and put it into their database. But still, although the cert # is older, the re-slabbing occurred probably only about 6-12 months ago.

Mike D. 11-23-2022 04:24 PM

That's hilarious that someone wrote in the correct card number and batting average on the Mays wrong back. :D:eek:

bnorth 11-23-2022 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2286595)
They've definitely done it before, including recently, for me for this piece.

Update: Just remembered that this one had been previously slabbed. But it wasn't showing up in their database. So they made me send it in again, and they re-slabbed it and put it into their database. But still, although the cert # is older, the re-slabbing occurred probably only about 6-12 months ago.

That is a very nice card.

raulus 11-23-2022 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D. (Post 2286651)
That's hilarious that someone wrote in the correct card number and batting average on the Mays wrong back. :D:eek:

I guess they couldn’t handle having some other rando’s avg. and card # on the back of a Mays card.