Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scam alert - seller by the name of Frank Thomas and/or Ash Cole (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=324890)

Eric -goudeyhunter 09-15-2022 10:27 AM

Scam alert - seller by the name of Frank Thomas and/or Ash Cole

Hello all,

Yesterday I created a WTB post asking for a 1933 Butterfinger for sale. A man named Frank Thomas (no pun intended here) emailed me this morning offering one for $60, and provided an image of the card. I agreed to buy it and Paypal'd him. After doing so I felt something was off and started to research. I found an old 2009 post here that suggested a man with the same name had tried to scam them. I also found another post from 2015 with an image of the same exact card I agreed to buy, with the owner stating it was his. I have reached out to both to get more facts.
After discovering these details I opened a case with Paypal.
If you have any information on a card seller using the name Frank Thomas please contact me. His email: frankthomas2979@gmail.com and he uses this email for Paypal payment: ashcole904@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light here and help protect our card collecting community.

Casey2296 09-15-2022 10:31 AM

Is he a member here? Sounds like a real ashcole...

Eric -goudeyhunter 09-15-2022 10:35 AM

No, this is a scam. Another person posing as Charles Litt: charleslitt619@gmail.com
just emailed me asking $50 for the same exact card.

raulus 09-15-2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric -goudeyhunter (Post 2263870)
No, this is a scam. Another person posing as Charles Litt: charleslitt619@gmail.com
just emailed me asking $50 for the same exact card.

Classic Charles Litt!!!

frankbmd 09-15-2022 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2263869)

I never realized that being an asshole was a prerequisite for Net54 membership.

Casey2296 09-15-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2263879)

It's a box you check/uncheck when you fill out the net54 application Frank.

raulus 09-15-2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2263892)
It's a box you check/uncheck when you fill out the net54 application Frank.

Is it a self-identification thing, or does Leon check that box for us?

Leon 09-15-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

It goes from the top down.

scottbuda 09-17-2022 06:34 PM

I just had a similar feeling of not legit on that PP address. So came here to the group to see if anyone had a history with it and found your post. Thanks for posting. The guy tried to use grayj8948@gmail.com as “Gray John” as an email. Offered to sell a t212 for $90. Sent me the wrong card first, I said as much, then immediately sent me another pic. I asked him if he was in the UK as PP wanted to convert to pounds. Oh well. I didn’t send funds. I’m bummed, I really wanted the card. Lol Scott

Eric72 09-17-2022 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2263869)

Now that's funny. Bravo. :)

JMANOS 09-18-2022 05:41 AM

Scammer

Charles Litt tried to scam myself and Ben Yourg he obviously is still lurking this board???

Fred 09-18-2022 06:07 AM

Eric,

Did you pay FF or goods/services with paypal? If paid with FF, will paypal allow a case to be opened on something like that? Perhaps another reason to use goods/services if the seller is not known.

swarmee 09-18-2022 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2264918)
If paid with FF, will paypal allow a case to be opened on something like that? Perhaps another reason to use goods/services if the seller is not known.

No, that money is long gone. Why would they do extra work when you're not paying them the fees to do so? In fact, by notifying them of using F/F when you're purchasing items for delivery, you could get your own account locked.

raulus 09-18-2022 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottbuda (Post 2264851)
I’m bummed, I really wanted the card. Lol Scott

Obviously our little scammer is counting on all of us being so desperate to pick up the offered items that we’ll take some risks and just start sending cash…

Louisville_Hugger 09-18-2022 06:13 PM

This is why I only buy or trade with members who frequent the boards. If you spend enough time on here, you get a feel for who’s who. The handful of “members” who have tried scamming me (always on WTB posts) were blatantly obvious and were banned within hours. Obviously anyone can get over on you if you use f&f, but overall this forum is 99% honest collectors who look out for each other.

NiceDocter 09-20-2022 08:25 AM

Frank Thomas

Frank Thomas is just trying to live up to that “The Big Hurt” nickname.

Yoda 09-20-2022 09:13 AM

Quote:

Frank, always wondered if the prerequisite was being an asshole or having one? Maybe both.

Leon 09-22-2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisville_Hugger (Post 2265097)
This is why I only buy or trade with members who frequent the boards. If you spend enough time on here, you get a feel for who’s who. The handful of “members” who have tried scamming me (always on WTB posts) were blatantly obvious and were banned within hours. Obviously anyone can get over on you if you use f&f, but overall this forum is 99% honest collectors who look out for each other.

+1. Always be careful and know your trading partner or have references for him/her. IF you send PayPal FF to someone you don't know, you are taking a chance.

Leon 09-27-2022 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottbuda (Post 2264851)
I just had a similar feeling of not legit on that PP address. So came here to the group to see if anyone had a history with it and found your post. Thanks for posting. The guy tried to use grayj8948@gmail.com as “Gray John” as an email. Offered to sell a t212 for $90. Sent me the wrong card first, I said as much, then immediately sent me another pic. I asked him if he was in the UK as PP wanted to convert to pounds. Oh well. I didn’t send funds. I’m bummed, I really wanted the card. Lol Scott

Always good to check and I want to bump this thread again. I still get, almost daily, PMs concerning scammers. The new one is Goldberg :).... Ask someone their Net54 id and that seems to be taking care of a lot of them. If they give one then vet it with me. Anyone with 50 or more posts, isn't a scammer. The great majority of scammers will have less than 5 posts and many have 0.

and a card...