Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Gun ownership poll (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320280)

1952boyntoncollector 12-17-2022 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1991AtlantaBraves (Post 2294956)
Banning video games such as the GTA series, television shows such as Breaking Bad, and music labeled with “explicit lyrics” would actually reduce violent crime quite a bit…..not to mention imposing heavy fines/long jail terms/death penalty on the offenders - whichever one(s) fit the crime.

This is a spiritual battle being waged, but one side completely refuses to acknowledge this fact. Said side has too much to lose if it’s wrong, I suppose.

i hate the music you are referring too as well but becomes a slippery slope when start to say what has a bad influence on people so lets control it...who gets to control it and who doesnt get controlled who barely makes the cut who makes a huuuge profit versus the guy that gets cut so has to file bankruptcy is a very thin line....who decides and how you know thats fair.........politics plays a role which means not a pure decision but a political one.

where are the parents as well who can help control their kids ability to view certain content and i would think that should be a parents choice not political.... i agree on the jail terms etc but again thats politics..

..death penalty i never for because if one person killed and was due to politics not fair....if kill one person by mistake ever not fair ..costs more to kill someone than to keep in jail...if somebody kills a hostage and knows will now get the death penalty why not kill more since punishment the same.... people have been let out of jail on death row years later when proven were innocent...if killed zero chance to free them...not sure how anyone can be for death penalty when everyone knows people go on death row that are later freed for being innocent ..

G1911 12-17-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1991AtlantaBraves (Post 2294956)
Banning video games such as the GTA series, television shows such as Breaking Bad, and music labeled with “explicit lyrics” would actually reduce violent crime quite a bit…..not to mention imposing heavy fines/long jail terms/death penalty on the offenders - whichever one(s) fit the crime.

This is a spiritual battle being waged, but one side completely refuses to acknowledge this fact. Said side has too much to lose if it’s wrong, I suppose.

Even if the suppositions were true, I would be as against banning music, films and games and ignoring the first amendment as I am against ignoring the second amendment.

I don’t think there’s much of a connection though. Violence has been prevalent in art and literature since the very beginning. Homer and Hesiod, the first western literature are replete with it. Fiction tends to always go in the most shocking direction. I think there is much to be said for the time when people spoke properly, wore suits when they went anywhere in public, and would be horrified to hear the words common on radio said so publicly. The current form, in which there are less social restrictions on people’s choices and lives than ever before certainly has not made for a happier youth, with depression being almost trendy among my generation and the next one. But I don’t think 1) there is a way to have everything perfect and 2) it has not produced much violence, statistically.

In fact, violence went down for the generation of NWA and Call of Duty. Violence has steadily dropped with time until it rocketed in 2020 for reasons that don’t seem to be generational or entertainment related.

My gut feeling would be that flooding kids with displays of violence from early childhood and on probably isn’t good. My gut feeling when I’m at a gun store and see someone trying to buy their favorite weapon in call of duty is that this is a moron and maybe should choose not to exercise his right to do that. But I don’t think the data backs up this feeling. “Ban X to solve our problems” formulations are almost never even close to true and rarely stand to even cursory examination. Playing Call of Duty doesn’t make one a murderer, listening to rap doesn’t make one a murderer, no more than owning a firearm does.

1952boyntoncollector 12-17-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2295037)
Even if the suppositions were true, I would be as against banning music, films and games and ignoring the first amendment as I am against ignoring the second amendment.

I don’t think there’s much of a connection though. Violence has been prevalent in art and literature since the very beginning. Homer and Hesiod, the first western literature are replete with it. Fiction tends to always go in the most shocking direction. I think there is much to be said for the time when people spoke properly, wore suits when they went anywhere in public, and would be horrified to hear the words common on radio said so publicly. The current form, in which there are less social restrictions on people’s choices and lives than ever before certainly has not made for a happier youth, with depression being almost trendy among my generation and the next one. But I don’t think 1) there is a way to have everything perfect and 2) it has not produced much violence, statistically.

In fact, violence went down for the generation of NWA and Call of Duty. Violence has steadily dropped with time until it rocketed in 2020 for reasons that don’t seem to be generational or entertainment related.

My gut feeling would be that flooding kids with displays of violence from early childhood and on probably isn’t good. My gut feeling when I’m at a gun store and see someone trying to buy their favorite weapon in call of duty is that this is a moron and maybe should choose not to exercise his right to do that. But I don’t think the data backs up this feeling. “Ban X to solve our problems” formulations are almost never even close to true and rarely stand to even cursory examination. Playing Call of Duty doesn’t make one a murderer, listening to rap doesn’t make one a murderer, no more than owning a firearm does.

real life is still far different than video game world as well...they were saying violence was caused by early nintendo games and early IBM games which were 100x or more less real looking then todays games....perhaps 100 years from now in the meta verse if you can touch and feel everything we can revisit...