Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ty Cobb Postcard (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=299818)

Greenmonster 04-04-2021 08:54 AM

Ty Cobb Postcard

Why is the contrast on Cobb so much different than the rest of the players?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38407516623...6&toolid=10001

Bicem 04-04-2021 10:03 AM

Cobb pc

Just the lighting I think.

vthobby 04-04-2021 10:18 AM

Go figure.....

Beautiful postcard but of course out of every subject......the only one that is blemished is Cobb! Ugh!

So cool though! Wow!

Mike

molenick 04-04-2021 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool postcard. Not saying this applies to Cobb, but part of me thinks this is a composite....not sure how else to explain the floating head!

Bicem 04-04-2021 10:29 AM

Nice catch, would be a type 3 in the photograph world.

Cmount76 04-04-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molenick (Post 2089463)
Cool postcard. Not saying this applies to Cobb, but part of me thinks this is a composite....not sure how else to explain the floating head!

So interesting that you bring this up as I just showed that to my wife. I am not techie enough to do it, but she pointed out some of the angles on the top of the ride and how those angles are rounded where his shoulders (apparently) are. If you blow the image up, you can see where the beige tarp behind him abruptly ends, even though there is a tiny portion behind the hat of the gentleman to his right.

Also, if you follow the angle of the roof from the other direction, again, you can see it take a weird angle.

I'm sure it sounds convoluted, but my wife convinced me that there is someone there...body and all!!!!!

molenick 04-04-2021 10:39 AM

Now that I look at it, I think maybe one or two others in the background were not present at the original photo and were added later. To be clear, I am not saying that the postcard did not originally look like this when issued (I have no idea). I am saying that in the process of creating the postcard, some faces were added by laying a negative on top of the original negative (or whatever people did before Photoshop).

molenick 04-04-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmount76 (Post 2089468)
So interesting that you bring this up as I just showed that to my wife. I am not techie enough to do it, but she pointed out some of the angles on the top of the ride and how those angles are rounded where his shoulders (apparently) are. If you blow the image up, you can see where the beige tarp behind him abruptly ends, even though there is a tiny portion behind the hat of the gentleman to his right.

Also, if you follow the angle of the roof from the other direction, again, you can see it take a weird angle.

I'm sure it sounds convoluted, but my wife convinced me that there is someone there...body and all!!!!!

Or maybe I am just coming up with a complicated explanation for someone contorting their body!

Bicem 04-04-2021 10:45 AM

Interesting, that's definitely possible too, but I've also seen a lot of team rppcs where they add a head of a missing player.

Regardless, great postcard, even with the pinhole should do well.

BeanTown 04-04-2021 04:47 PM

Interesting Cobb is not wearing a hat. Why was there writing on the back that went over to the address side? No stamp? Looks like it was a message meant for someone else to read. Was that a fountain pen that was used?

vthobby 04-04-2021 05:37 PM

Cobb....

As far as his cap, you know Cobb did whatever he wanted. Amazing that he was even there at spring training! :)

Writing appears to say:

"Taken after the game Sunday I seen the game it was the rotness game you even seen Tigers did not try to play F Johnson "

Perfect grammar! lol

Like mine is any better! :eek:

I mean it was spring training, doubt the Tigers cared at all! :) I'm mesmerized by that photo. Incredible really. I can't explain why. Just because! :)

Peace, Mike

JollyElm 04-04-2021 06:07 PM

Here's my first attempt at deciphering:

"Tacking (taken?) after the game Sunday I seen the game it was the rotenes (rotteness?) game you ever sen (seen?) Tigers did not try to play
F Johnson"

molenick 04-12-2021 03:56 PM

Just checked and either someone with a feedback of (1) won the card, or it did not reach its reserve, or "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing".