Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I've locked onto some Led Zeppelin lately... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=283493)

clydepepper 05-21-2020 08:03 AM

I've locked onto some Led Zeppelin lately...

Any Fans? What's your favorite song by them?

Over the Hills and Far Away

Jim65 05-21-2020 08:14 AM

Toss up- In My Time Of Dying and Ten Years Gone

edtiques 05-21-2020 09:08 AM

Depending on my mood,either Rock and Roll or Dazed and Confused. If I answered this tomorrow,it might be 2 different ones. They have so many great songs it's really hard to choose.

Seven 05-21-2020 09:35 AM

Hey Hey what can I do and When the Levee Breaks are my favorites.

Side note, Heart did a fantastic cover of Stairway to Heaven a few years ago when Led Zeppelin received honors from the Kennedy Center, highly recommend watching it.

irv 05-21-2020 12:20 PM

Been a Zeppelin fan ever since I borrowed my sisters albums, that she'd get so mad about, for years.

Imo, it is too hard to pick a favorite with so many great ones.

Stairway to Heaven live from Madison square gardens is tough to beat, but there are many others, like I mentioned, that can be as equally good depending on what mood one is in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBLHkmBKDg

mr2686 05-21-2020 01:16 PM

For me it's Since I've Been Loving You...especially live at Madison Square Garden. Blows me away every time I hear it.

2dueces 05-22-2020 08:27 AM

Saw them in 73. Stairway was the first song I remember hearing.
I can't pick a favorite. I listen to them everyday and like them all.

pawpawdiv9 05-22-2020 11:31 AM

Hey- Listen to the band called VAN GRETA FLEET.
They do a awesome Led Zepelin songs
Heres one:
https://youtu.be/Fgu0KvS_dAMhttps://youtu.be/Fgu0KvS_dAM

SAllen2556 05-22-2020 04:10 PM

Led Zep - greatest cover band of all time. And most rabid fans. Don't ever say anything bad about John Bonham. And don't ever say they stole many of their songs from old Blues guys. I don't what it is about them and Rush. Their fans are painfully loyal.

Always liked "Ramble On" though.

clydepepper 05-22-2020 06:35 PM

I have to change my favorite selection...

I forgot what a masterpiece 'Stairway to Heaven' is. I keep it playing in my car...the main locale for my music.

It's incredible!

Mark17 05-23-2020 01:32 AM

Heartbreaker (especially the bass) The Battle of Evermore, and 10 Years Gone.

A fun one, if your speakers are on opposite sides of the room, is What Is and What Should Never Be.

JollyElm 05-26-2020 04:12 AM

So many great tunes to choose from, but I'll take these beauties any day of the week:
The Rain Song
That's the Way
Down By the Seaside
Immigrant Song (put it on while you're driving!!!)
Hot Dog
Fool in the Rain
Your Time Is Gonna Come
Kashmir

Huysmans 05-26-2020 06:13 AM

Innovators and master musicians, Led Zeppelin is by far the absolute best Rock & Roll band in history, and genres such as hard rock and heavy metal wouldn't exist without them.

They're one of the main examples of why the British are the undisputed kings of Rock & Roll.

mantleman 05-26-2020 07:55 PM

Since i've been loving you

AustinMike 05-27-2020 12:43 PM

Lot of great songs to pick from. But, for now, I guess I'll go with "How Many More Times." And "Gallows Pole". Oh, and also "Black Dog." Whoa, I almost forgot "Good Times, Bad Times."

earlywynnfan 05-27-2020 01:06 PM

Chris Carter just mentioned last week how Led Zep played a bunch of concerts at a hall in London in 1975. Arguably the best band of the 70's, at the height of their popularity. Care to guess how much tickets were? It'll blow your mind, or maybe just make you feel old.

$1.70, or $4.10 for expensive seats.
Don't you wish you were there??

And to answer the question, my fave is the Immigrant Song, although Battle of Evermore is pretty amazing.

mr2686 05-27-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1984733)
Chris Carter just mentioned last week how Led Zep played a bunch of concerts at a hall in London in 1975. Arguably the best band of the 70's, at the height of their popularity. Care to guess how much tickets were? It'll blow your mind, or maybe just make you feel old.

$1.70, or $4.10 for expensive seats.
Don't you wish you were there??

And to answer the question, my fave is the Immigrant Song, although Battle of Evermore is pretty amazing.

That London concert was probably at Earl's Court. They played 5 nights there in 1975. Shortly before, they had played in San Diego and Long Beach California...those prices were just a little more at around 7.50 -8.75 from what I can tell. Still a bargain, I miss those days.

brett 75 05-29-2020 09:14 PM

Led Zeppelin

2 Attachment(s)
My all time favorite band. When you said Earls Court I remembered this album from well over 10 years gone..... yes it’s vinyl from the good old days. . Tea for One or Fool in the Rain have to be near the top for me.

JollyElm 05-30-2020 03:42 PM

Did they seriously spell "Kashmir" wrong on that album cover?? Must've been a quick pressing.

ClementeFanOh 05-30-2020 07:10 PM

Led Zeppelin

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAllen2556 (Post 1983223)
Led Zep - greatest cover band of all time. And most rabid fans. Don't ever say anything bad about John Bonham. And don't ever say they stole many of their songs from old Blues guys. I don't what it is about them and Rush. Their fans are painfully loyal.

Always liked "Ramble On" though.

Scott- I don't pay enough attention to this section of net54 and likely should, just found this topic. I can certainly answer your question about Rush and fan loyalty. Rush fans are loyal because the boys are master musicians who never compromised their integrity or fluffed a live show. They have been a clear cut example of matchless musicianship, lyrical depth, and consistency in their genre, all while deftly avoiding the main pitfalls that claim many talented bands. THAT is why their fans are so loyal. When a band is THAT good for that long, it counts for something. (And yes, I'm a huge fan. Also like Steely Dan and Hendrix).
On the topic of Zep, I caught the "cover band" snipe. Like them or not, Zep were indeed at the forefront of hard rock for a lengthy time in the 70s. Tough to argue with the skill of Bonham, Page, and Plant and the unsung contributions of Jones. They are/were "monsters of rock"- they could bring it, in other words. No one's going to win a "best band" debate, suffice it to say they were phenomenal.

ClementeFanOh 05-30-2020 07:44 PM

Favorite Led Zep?

Geesh- in my earlier reply, I didn't even list a favorite song/songs:

1) Achilles Last Stand
2) Battle of Evermore
3) Over the Hills and Far Away
4) That's the Way

Couldn't possibly narrow it to a mere one! Trent king

White Borders 05-30-2020 07:54 PM

Led Zeppelin: Good Times, Bad Times; Dazed and Confused; Communication Breakdown
II: Whole Lotta Love; What Is and What Should Never Be; Heart Breaker; Living Loving Maid; Ramble On; Moby Dick
III: Immigrant Song; Celebration Day; Since I've Been Loving You; Gallows Pole; Tangerine; Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
IV: (Arguably Greatest 70's Album along with Who's Next and The Wall) Black Dog; Rock and Roll; The Battle of Evermore; Stairway to Heaven; Misty Mountain Hop; Four Sticks; Going to California; When the Levee Breaks
Houses of the Holy: The Song Remains the Same; The Rain Song; Over the Hills and Far Away; D'yer Mak'er
Physical Graffiti: Kashmir
In Through the Out Door: Fool in the Rain

Zepplin: Top 5 Rock and Roll Band of All-Time
Bonzo: Greatest Drummer Ever (No one could play triplets like him)
Page: Second Greatest Guitarist Ever after Hendrix
Jones: Second Greatest Bassist of 60's and 70's after Entwistle
Plant: Top 10 Vocalist of 60's and 70's

Huysmans 06-04-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh (Post 1985851)
Scott- I don't pay enough attention to this section of net54 and likely should, just found this topic. I can certainly answer your question about Rush and fan loyalty. Rush fans are loyal because the boys are master musicians who never compromised their integrity or fluffed a live show. They have been a clear cut example of matchless musicianship, lyrical depth, and consistency in their genre, all while deftly avoiding the main pitfalls that claim many talented bands. THAT is why their fans are so loyal. When a band is THAT good for that long, it counts for something. (And yes, I'm a huge fan. Also like Steely Dan and Hendrix).
On the topic of Zep, I caught the "cover band" snipe. Like them or not, Zep were indeed at the forefront of hard rock for a lengthy time in the 70s. Tough to argue with the skill of Bonham, Page, and Plant and the unsung contributions of Jones. They are/were "monsters of rock"- they could bring it, in other words. No one's going to win a "best band" debate, suffice it to say they were phenomenal.

Yeah, calling them a cover band is hilarious. There will always be those who whine and complain about others.

conor912 06-04-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven (Post 1982816)
Hey Hey what can I do and When the Levee Breaks are my favorites.

I like your style. I’d add Your Time is Gonna Come. Love that organ.

MooseDog 06-05-2020 07:55 AM

Sign of getting old and soft...when I was younger it would probably have been one of the more loud and rockin' classics...but I have to say one favorite I still stop and listen through the whole thing whenever I hear it is "Thank You".

Griffins 06-05-2020 11:57 AM

Changes for me year to year it seems. Current fav is Since I've Been Loving You, but 10 years gone in shooting up the chart fast

JollyElm 06-05-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins (Post 1987452)
Changes for me year to year it seems. Current fav is Since I've Been Loving You, but 10 years gone in shooting up the chart fast

It always gives me chills when the music picks up in the section where Robert Plant pleads, "Do you ever remember me, baby, did it feel so good..."

Chris Counts 06-10-2020 08:57 AM

Led Zeppelin has my vote for the greatest band ever. For my favorites, I'm going to go with Ramble On, Thank You, Tangerine, That's the Way, Hey Hey What Can I Do, California, Rain Song, Over the Hills and Far Away, In the Light, Ten Years Gone and Down by the Seaside.

AGuinness 06-11-2020 11:14 AM

When the Levee Breaks has always been my favorite. Amazing song.

I'll add that I have a 12-year-old dog, a lab and flat coat retriever mix with soft and long black hair. And my black dog is named Zoso (and we sometimes call her Zoey or Zo).

White Borders 06-27-2020 04:45 PM

I was at Half Price Books yesterday and picked up LZ II on cd. I never had any Zep in vinyl, but I had the first four albums on cassette.

JollyElm 06-28-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Borders (Post 1994209)
I was at Half Price Books yesterday and picked up LZ II on cd. I never had any Zep in vinyl, but I had the first four albums on cassette.

Man, I love that store. The one near us out here recently moved due to a dispute with the building owner, but it had the greatest layout ever, with hardly an ounce of structure to it. A million little nooks and annexes...and a staircase that led to nowhere. You could wander around endlessly, never knowing what types of cool things you would run into. The music section was near the entrance, and was redolent with the old time musty smell of record shops. The new location is laid out like a supermarket, and is a complete borefest.

White Borders 06-29-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1994485)
Man, I love that store. The one near us out here recently moved due to a dispute with the building owner, but it had the greatest layout ever, with hardly an ounce of structure to it. A million little nooks and annexes...and a staircase that led to nowhere. You could wander around endlessly, never knowing what types of cool things you would run into. The music section was near the entrance, and was redolent with the old time musty smell of record shops. The new location is laid out like a supermarket, and is a complete borefest.

We used to have a bookstore like that here in Wichita called The Green Dragon. It was an absolute labyrinth with crazy twisty aisles and hidden alcoves. Unfortunately, the owners relocated about 20 years ago. Our Half Price Books is like the new location you described - laid out like a supermarket, tidy and squeaky clean like a Barnes and Noble. I think they are a national chain so probably laid out based on a corporate model. Apologies to Raymond for hijacking the thread :)

Wihawk 07-02-2020 06:05 PM

Dancing Days and Dazed and Confused

TUM301 07-03-2020 05:46 AM

Damone

"Put On the 2`nd side of Led Zeppelin 4 ", one of the best scene in "Fast Times" is when his buddy actually does it. Classic.....

Griffins 07-03-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUM301 (Post 1995857)
"Put On the 2`nd side of Led Zeppelin 4 ", one of the best scene in "Fast Times" is when his buddy actually does it. Classic.....

Except they cut to him playing Kashmir from Physical Graffiti. That always bugged me.

clydepepper 07-03-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Borders (Post 1994700)
We used to have a bookstore like that here in Wichita called The Green Dragon. It was an absolute labyrinth with crazy twisty aisles and hidden alcoves. Unfortunately, the owners relocated about 20 years ago. Our Half Price Books is like the new location you described - laid out like a supermarket, tidy and squeaky clean like a Barnes and Noble. I think they are a national chain so probably laid out based on a corporate model. Apologies to Raymond for hijacking the thread :)

No problem - I'm enjoying all this.