Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It's now official - Mastro trimmed hisT206 Wagner (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=166924)

David W 04-11-2013 06:43 AM

It's now official - Mastro trimmed hisT206 Wagner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...0451--mlb.html

What a surprise.....

CMIZ5290 04-11-2013 06:51 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how in the world a PSA 5(MC) goes for $2.1 Mil. Makes you wonder what a legit PSA 8 would sell for....

dabigyankeeman 04-11-2013 07:06 AM

Whats so pitiful is that some people are saying the card will go UP in value instead of down, because of it becoming the infamous trimmed Wagner. Geez.

T206Collector 04-11-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman (Post 1115937)
Whats so pitiful is that some people are saying the card will go UP in value instead of down, because of it becoming the infamous trimmed Wagner. Geez.

It's like people collecting Black Sox cards, and to a lesser extent the villain Ty Cobb. People like controversy. It sells and people collect it.

bn2cardz 04-11-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sports.yahoo.com
Through a Diamondbacks spokesperson, Kendrick — the card's current owner — told Yahoo! Sports:
"As a collector of rare cards and a fan who enjoys the history of the game of baseball, today's news does not change my pride in owning the Honus Wagner T-206 card. In fact, I've been advised that the notoriety of this turn of events has actually increased the value of the card and I will continue to enjoy having it as part of the 'Diamondbacks collection.' "

Who advised him? Joe Orlando?

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2013 07:19 AM

Spin.

ruth-gehrig 04-11-2013 07:21 AM

Now how did it "pass" PSA without getting deemed trimmed altered?

HOF Auto Rookies 04-11-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1115938)
It's like people collecting Black Sox cards, and to a lesser extent the villain Ty Cobb. People like controversy. It sells and people collect it.

+1, well said. Gandil sells fairly well it seems, and I think without the scandal, not so much

AMBST95 04-11-2013 07:24 AM

We'll see what he thinks when it becomes the first Wagner to take a loss in a public sale. If you are a baller kind of collector, writing checks with multiple commas, you want the best, not what used to be the best.

Leon 04-11-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1115940)
Who advised him? Joe Orlando?

Maybe, and if he did he might be right. I don't condone the fraud with the trimming but it's still the best looking Wags in the hobby. I am still undecided if I think it's value has held. It certainly might have. It's hard to say.....

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2013 07:28 AM

David Hall is now in an interesting position. He of the magnifying glass.

Orioles1954 04-11-2013 07:32 AM

Best looking? Really? Every time I see that card now I'll think "crimininal", "fraud", "fake" and "trimmed" before "best looking" comes to mind.

Leon 04-11-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles1954 (Post 1115948)
Best looking? Really? Every time I see that card now I'll think "crimininal", "fraud", "fake" and "trimmed" before "best looking" comes to mind.

You are entitled to your opinion but no matter what you say, what I said is true.

barrysloate 04-11-2013 07:43 AM

With each past sale, the new owners were certainly aware of the unconfirmed rumor it was trimmed. And they had the right to reject it as merely speculation.

Now it is no longer a rumor, it's a fact. If it comes up for sale, prospective bidders will know that. Will it affect the value? Perhaps a little, but not a lot. It very well may sell for more. Who knows? That's up to the bidders.

slidekellyslide 04-11-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1115942)

Inexperienced grader. :D

bigwinnerx 04-11-2013 07:53 AM

Think it'll go for more. It has a story...and what a story. It's not just one of the regular others that come up with every passing REA auction. Gretzky, trimmed, various lawsuits and court cases...it's like a crime novel.

If you have 2 million to spend on a card, it's not your last dollars anyway, and it's a/the storied Wagner. Think of the auction description book that'll be written to describe it and the stories you'll get to pass on at your next swank cocktail party.

Jay Wolt 04-11-2013 07:53 AM

People who purchase T206 Wagner's for 7 figures are a different breed then the rest of us.
If I spend $100 on a card and its deemed altered it keeps me up at night.
To Mr. Kendrick, its a nice card then brings him notoriety and the cost is pocket change to him.
Hell, he's picked up free agents for several million who's ended up being worthless and released.
Not saying Bill Mastro's trim job is justified or condoned, but Mr. Kendrick may look at the $2+ million he spent differently.
He's got exposure and an iconic card and as Leon states, a great looking one at that.

slidekellyslide 04-11-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigwinnerx (Post 1115962)
Think it'll go for more. It has a story...and what a story. It's not just one of the regular others that come up with every passing REA auction. Gretzky, trimmed, various lawsuits and court cases...it's like a crime novel.

If you have 2 million to spend on a card, it's not your last dollars anyway, and it's a/the storied Wagner. Think of the auction description book that'll be written to describe it and the stories you'll get to pass on at your next swank cocktail party.

The Cobb/Edwards Wagner has a story too....how much would it sell for?

ruth-gehrig 04-11-2013 08:00 AM

I believe the main issue for us smaller people who can't afford million dollar cards and this hobby as a whole is how many other cards are in holders that don't match the card? How did it get slabbed that way? If it was a collaboration between Mastro and PSA/Orlando will it get admitted to???

gnaz01 04-11-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1115954)
With each past sale, the new owners were certainly aware of the unconfirmed rumor it was trimmed. And they had the right to reject it as merely speculation.

Now it is no longer a rumor, it's a fact. If it comes up for sale, prospective bidders will know that. Will it affect the value? Perhaps a little, but not a lot. It very well may sell for more. Who knows? That's up to the bidders.

Barry,

I 100% agree with yours and Leon's statement. My thoughts are this: I think the value will remain flat or maybe decline a little IF it is kept in the same PSA holder of a NM-MT 8. We all, I think, should concur that it should reside in a PSA "Authentic" holder and IF that happens (which never will happen, IMO) then the value would drop dramatically.

Greg

HOF Auto Rookies 04-11-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1115954)

Well said Barry, everyone who was a potential buyer of this card, is going to research the history on it. I doubt, most likely anyone would throw 2mill on a card, or any item for that matter, without researching it.

David W 04-11-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 1115964)
People who purchase T206 Wagner's for 7 figures are a different breed then the rest of us.
To Mr. Kendrick, its a nice card then brings him notoriety and the cost is pocket change to him.
Hell, he's picked up free agents for several million who's ended up being worthless and released.
Not saying Bill Mastro's trim job is justified or condoned, but Mr. Kendrick may look at the $2+ million he spent differently.
He's got exposure and an iconic card and as Leon states, a great looking one at that.

Yes. Now he has something else to talk about at the Country Club. He already owned the most famous card ever, now he owns the most infamous famous card ever.

lharri3600 04-11-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1115942)

Now that's an ez one!:rolleyes:

Shoele$$ 04-11-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 1115974)
Barry,

I 100% agree with yours and Leon's statement. My thoughts are this: I think the value will remain flat or maybe decline a little IF it is kept in the same PSA holder of a NM-MT 8. We all, I think, should concur that it should reside in a PSA "Authentic" holder and IF that happens (which never will happen, IMO) then the value would drop dramatically.

Greg

That's the whole point right there, it's infamous and controversial because of the story behind the PSA 8 slab that it resides in......change it to the correct "A" slab and the allure will all but disappear.

chaddurbin 04-11-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Wolt (Post 1115964)

agreed...future owners of this card won't be collectors, just like the past owners. value of this card won't suddenly have a big drop. it will still be the highest priced wagner. and if kendrick don't get his price, he'll just keep it for his son to play with.

atx840 04-11-2013 08:34 AM

I'd just keep it. Gorgeous card either way.

Leon 04-11-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoele$$ (Post 1115993)
That's the whole point right there, it's infamous and controversial because of the story behind the PSA 8 slab that it resides in......change it to the correct "A" slab and the allure will all but disappear.

But as I said several months ago, in a poll, what if (and this won't happen) PSA kept the same grade and flip but put the qualifier (handcut) on it? It would be what it is and still have the grade!! Personally, that is what I think should happen but it's not up to me AND I am in the minority (as usual).

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2013 09:29 AM

Minority of one i think. :D:D

Blitzu 04-11-2013 09:30 AM

That PSA 5 at 2.1 million buy couldn't have come at a better time. Don't they now own the highest legitimate, non altered Wagner now? It's now king of the hill.

That book The Card, really hit the nail in the head. I have a feeling PSA is next....

jcmtiger 04-11-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1115938)

I don't think people collect Ty Cobb for being a villain, but for being a Great ballplayer!!!!!

Joe

Leon 04-11-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1116019)
Minority of one i think. :D:D

C'mon Peter, it was more than that. If I remember correctly (don't challenge me as I will find it) there were about 22% of the respondents that agreed with me. So there was some agreement, just not a lot. :o

glynparson 04-11-2013 09:40 AM

A 5mc

Is not king of the hill on wagners.

SushiX37 04-11-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1116015)
But as I said several months ago, in a poll, what if (and this won't happen) PSA kept the same grade and flip but put the qualifier (handcut) on it? It would be what it is and still have the grade!! Personally, that is what I think should happen but it's not up to me AND I am in the minority (as usual).

I couldn't agree more. I seem to remember stories from people who saw this card pre-PSA slab, and commented that it was larger then than it is now. Whose to say it wasn't scrap or handcut originally?

Rich

Orioles1954 04-11-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1115953)
no matter what you say, what I said is true.

Well, thank you. Whenever I need to know absolute truth, I know who to go to.

bn2cardz 04-11-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzu (Post 1116021)
That PSA 5 at 2.1 million buy couldn't have come at a better time. Don't they now own the highest legitimate, non altered Wagner now? It's now king of the hill.

That book The Card, really hit the nail in the head. I have a feeling PSA is next....

There is a PSA 5 with no qualifiers, but I for one don't care about qualifiers but others may. So the 5mc is at best tied for the best unaltered or in second place.

I posted about this in the thread where people were trying to guess the price that the 5mc would go for.

auggiedoggy 04-11-2013 10:28 AM

The PSA 5 without qualifiers is the best Wagner (that we are aware of) out there, no question. The recently auctioned Wagner would get the #2 spot.

BTW, I see that a PSA 1 Wagner owned by Charlie Sheen is up for sale at Robert Edwards Auctions. I'd take that one over the trimmed PSA 8. :p

g_vezina_c55 04-11-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auggiedoggy (Post 1116061)
btw, i see that a psa 1 wagner owned by charlie sheen is up for sale at robert edwards auctions. I'd take that one over the trimmed psa 8. :p

E93 04-11-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1115972)
If it was a collaboration between Mastro and PSA/Orlando will it get admitted to???

For the record, Orlando did not start working at PSA until years after that Wagner was graded. It was the first card PSA graded.

As for the best unaltered Wagner, I think the PSA 5 (not the Jumbo PSA 5 MC) and three raw Wagners in private hands are the top candidates. The Jumbo would probably rank around #5 IMHO. It is a phenomenal card, but there are a few that are slightly better in my opinion, mostly due to not having the angle cut and top of the the adjoining card on the sheet showing.
JimB

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2013 10:46 AM

Jim, notwithstanding his non-involvement I suspect Joe Orlando has known the truth about the card for some time, but that's just a personal opinion. It will be very interesting to see what David Hall -- who was there -- directs PSA to do now.

wonkaticket 04-11-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E93 (Post 1116073)
For the record, Orlando did not start working at PSA until years after that Wagner was graded. It was the first card PSA graded.

As for the best unaltered Wagner, I think the PSA 5 (not the Jumbo PSA 5 MC) and three raw Wagners in private hands are the top candidates. The Jumbo would probably rank around #5 IMHO. It is a phenomenal card, but there are a few that are slightly better in my opinion, mostly due to not having the angle cut and top of the the adjoining card on the sheet showing.
JimB

+1

auggiedoggy 04-11-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

As for the best unaltered Wagner, I think the PSA 5 (not the Jumbo PSA 5 MC) and three raw Wagners in private hands are the top candidates.
JimB

Why on earth would someone not have their raw Wagner T206 graded and slabbed?

Peter_Spaeth 04-11-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auggiedoggy (Post 1116077)

If you know it's real and have no intention of selling it, why bother?

Runscott 04-11-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auggiedoggy (Post 1116077)

If you are not going to sell it, and are not a slab collector, why on earth WOULD you?

I think the current owner of the Mastro Wagner got it right.

travrosty 04-11-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1116015)

then take the jumbo wagner and make that one an (8) hand cut too, or a 9?. the mc qualifier would even go away. you can't just start doing that and changing the rules because a trimmed card looks good.

everyone would start claiming their card came from a sheet and how do you prove it didn't? how do you prove that the gretzky wagner came from a sheet. prove it, not just conjecture. then the sheet mate plank would get a handcut too. instead, it resides in an A holder (trimmed) and the wagner doesn't? psa had too much to gain with debut card #1.

barrysloate 04-11-2013 10:57 AM

The finest untrimmed Wagner is owned by one of our board members and he has no intention of ever getting it professionally graded. He's simply not interested and doesn't care.

g_vezina_c55 04-11-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1116084)
The finest untrimmed Wagner is owned by one of our board members and he has no intention of ever getting it professionally graded. He's simply not interested and doesn't care.

Any pic ?

Quote:

JimB

It is verry cool that 3 great condition Wagner is still Raw in private collection

Any pic of these 3 Raw Wagner ?

Shoele$$ 04-11-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Exactly, Joe is what in his late 30's? That puts him around 16-17 years old when the card was graded. He was still popping pimples and learning how to drive when that decision was being made. A little too much emphasis on Orlando when it comes to PSA's role in the card, lol.

barrysloate 04-11-2013 11:22 AM

Nelson- I believe he has posted it before. Also, it is pictured in an archive of T206 Wagners that I of course have no idea how to find.

ruth-gehrig 04-11-2013 11:39 AM

Is it known who exactly was in the room when the card was graded? Was Mastro there??

benjulmag 04-11-2013 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1116105)
Nelson- I believe he has posted it before. Also, it is pictured in an archive of T206 Wagners that I of course have no idea how to find.

This is the image Barry's referring to: