Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anyone a mid-century modern aficianado? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294151)

Tere1071 12-31-2020 09:10 PM

Anyone a mid-century modern aficianado?

Other than 1953 Bowman color cards, I enjoy mid-century design. I live in southern California where mid-century architecture abounds and period furniture is easily found, but not cheap in comparison to other sections of the country.

I particularly like the Drexel Profile line. I bought the Gentleman's cabinet to use as a secretary desk and recently acquired two three-drawer nightstands. I prefer to find unrestored pieces due to the price. There are so many wonderful pieces out there, but our space here is modest (1,437 sq ft) and like cards, the deeper one gets into it, the price goes up.

Anyone else out there has an appreciation for mid-century design?

nebboy 01-02-2021 11:58 AM

We love to collect mid century modern furnishings. Currently we have 12 pieces of Heywwod Wakefield scattered around our home. My favorite being the Kohinoor line for our bedroom set. Good luck in your search to find the perfect pieces for your place.

ullmandds 01-02-2021 04:59 PM

Cool! I love MCM! I've got lots of herman miller shell chairs...have a 1st gen RAR rope edge rocker...an omni wall unit...some danish pieces...heywood wakefield...I love it all!!!!!

Tere1071 01-02-2021 06:37 PM

You guys have some nice pieces. The only other pieces I have are a Kent Coffey Titan long dresser. It's missing the original hardware and it was refinished rather poorly, but the wood is solid and a pair of Architectural Modern Morris of California nightstands. I got the pair for $20, one of the pieces was missing a pull and they looked dilapidated, but the cases were in good shape. I refinished them and they are currently in use.

I am looking for a pair of narrow Drexel Profile narrow nightstands and a pair of the Profile End Chest in restorable condition. They don't pop up that often in the Los Angeles area and although there are many pieces here, the prices are far more expensive than in other areas.

I'm into the history of the pieces, but online searches usually produce retail sales information. Are there any discussion groups that specialize in more specific information rather than hawking the merchandise?

nebboy 01-02-2021 08:27 PM

My best day was when a junk hauler asked me help with clean out. For payment I got 2 Emes Herman Miller black and white bikini chair with rare factory drafting stool bases in perfect condition, 7 pieces of California Gainey pottery, last with a large star burst Elgin clock, plus lots of odds and ends. All that would have went to the landfill. The guy gave me anything I wanted from the haul. All he wanted was the cash for the job and was happy not to pay out any money for the help.

Tere1071 01-02-2021 10:31 PM

Sometimes those situations arise and it's a matter of right place/right time. That certainly helped compile your collection.

cardsfan73 01-05-2021 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebboy (Post 2052184)
My best day was when a junk hauler asked me help with clean out. For payment I got 2 Emes Herman Miller black and white bikini chair with rare factory drafting stool bases in perfect condition, 7 pieces of California Gainey pottery, last with a large star burst Elgin clock, plus lots of odds and ends. All that would have went to the landfill. The guy gave me anything I wanted from the haul. All he wanted was the cash for the job and was happy not to pay out any money for the help.

That's one heck of a pay day! I would love to have an Elgin Starburst! While I am not a huge fan of those particular chairs I know they are worth some $$$$!

RTK 01-08-2021 05:35 AM

I grew up with Mid-Mod furniture. Ya, I love the clean lines. This is the living room table my folks had, with matching end tables (Lane). My sister now has the set.

https://marykaysfurniture.com/wp-con...Dovetail-2.jpg

Currently my house has Scandinavian style furniture, with a Frank Lloyd Wright feel in decor; stained glass panels, art, pottery, colors, etc... I'd like to get back out to Palm Springs to see the Mid-Mod houses. The wife and I have toured a number of Frank Lloyd Wright homes, and want to see more of them as well.

The finished basement is the baseball, hockey, auto racing, fishing, warbird, craft beer room :D