Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   July Pick-Ups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=321824)

RayBShotz 07-05-2022 03:16 PM

July Pick-Ups

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd get the month of to start.
Future HOF'er?
Me thinks yes.
RayB

mrreality68 07-11-2022 06:09 AM

very nice looking card.

not sure if he is a HOFer. He was on pace for it and was a good offensive catcher. career avg .302 but with only 1500 hits and 158 HR's and less than 750 rbi and less than 700 runs I think he falls short. But those 3 World Series Rings do not hurt.

Mike D. 07-11-2022 07:11 PM

If Posey isn't a HOF catcher, it'll be a long time until we see another one. I think Mauer, Posey, and Molina all make it...but it's really shocking to think about when there might be another HOF catcher. Nobody else really out of the "nice start but a real long way to go" category.

G1911 07-17-2022 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bought a pair of High Number Hobby boxes at $40 each, which is about my price point for Heritage. Boxes are usually a loser, but opening packs is fun and at that price the fun is worth the dollars. I'm paying for the base and the fun of opening. One box had the Bichette /99 as the hit, and the other had Buehler in what I think is the usual spot. Another pack had the Kershaw, even though a box shouldn't have 2 hits in it for 2020. Relics aren't worth much, but Kershaw is cool as the hit as he's the start of a generation. I don't know if I'll keep the Bichette, but I got a full base set. The Ernie Banks 1 per box inserts are really cool.

vintagebaseballcardguy 07-22-2022 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2243434)
Bought a pair of High Number Hobby boxes at $40 each, which is about my price point for Heritage. Boxes are usually a loser, but opening packs is fun and at that price the fun is worth the dollars. I'm paying for the base and the fun of opening. One box had the Bichette /99 as the hit, and the other had Buehler in what I think is the usual spot. Another pack had the Kershaw, even though a box shouldn't have 2 hits in it for 2020. Relics aren't worth much, but Kershaw is cool as the hit as he's the start of a generation. I don't know if I'll keep the Bichette, but I got a full base set. The Ernie Banks 1 per box inserts are really cool.

$40 per hobby box is pretty decent and actually much more realistic. I think this stuff is actually cool. Very nice cards. I am very much torn over modern products like this. I very occasionally buy new product with the idea of piecing together a set of whatever given product because I do watch modern MLB and enjoy it. However, after a while, it hits me that I could buy a solid vintage card for the cost of the blasters and hangers that I open in such a quest. If the cost were lower on non-hit products like Heritage, I might be a player. Nice stuff!!

G1911 07-24-2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 2244833)
$40 per hobby box is pretty decent and actually much more realistic. I think this stuff is actually cool. Very nice cards. I am very much torn over modern products like this. I very occasionally buy new product with the idea of piecing together a set of whatever given product because I do watch modern MLB and enjoy it. However, after a while, it hits me that I could buy a solid vintage card for the cost of the blasters and hangers that I open in such a quest. If the cost were lower on non-hit products like Heritage, I might be a player. Nice stuff!!

I feel torn in the same way you are! I buy maybe 5-10 boxes of stuff a year. I enjoy cracking junk wax, but after seeing every possible card 3,000 times each (or so it feels), it's fun to satisfy the ripping the urge. My love is for vintage, but opening is fun too and I like to occasionally rip a box.

It's just never worth it, dollar wise. I just belatedly got in my 2021 Heritage hobby (3 boxes of base, 2 boxes of high number, 2 boxes of minors) to build my sets, from a distributor friend that passed them along below selling price. Even at my ~$35ish average price per box, I beat the pack odds and still lost financially. It's worth the $40 for the fun of opening up a box and I expect to lose, but I don't see how the people who pay 2-3x this price point and mostly pull the same stuff or less keep gambling. The base sets are fun still, but with so many invest focused rippers, base sets are almost free on eBay to just buy without worrying about collation issues. I pulled a black chrome refractor /72 of Buehler (which is 1:534 hobby packs, the print run is truly absurd since 2020), 3 relics (Alonso, Stanton and... Aaron Hicks) and 2 auto's (of rookies who are nobodies), 3 action's (should have got 1 by the odds). It's fun, I'm happy with the fun I get from it, but it's a terrible buy for any other reason.

2021 Heritage High Number are like $50 a hobby box on the open market and about the best buy there is right now for fun vs. cost, but there's about $15 worth in the box. The massive print runs have made it really hard to hit anything numbered in your box that's worth even $2. The price on retail is absurd; blasters are like $25 now and almost nothing but base. A hobby box is about the same per pack these days from Topps.

vintagebaseballcardguy 07-24-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2245572)
I feel torn in the same way you are! I buy maybe 5-10 boxes of stuff a year. I enjoy cracking junk wax, but after seeing every possible card 3,000 times each (or so it feels), it's fun to satisfy the ripping the urge. My love is for vintage, but opening is fun too and I like to occasionally rip a box.

It's just never worth it, dollar wise. I just belatedly got in my 2021 Heritage hobby (3 boxes of base, 2 boxes of high number, 2 boxes of minors) to build my sets, from a distributor friend that passed them along below selling price. Even at my ~$35ish average price per box, I beat the pack odds and still lost financially. It's worth the $40 for the fun of opening up a box and I expect to lose, but I don't see how the people who pay 2-3x this price point and mostly pull the same stuff or less keep gambling. The base sets are fun still, but with so many invest focused rippers, base sets are almost free on eBay to just buy without worrying about collation issues. I pulled a black chrome refractor /72 of Buehler (which is 1:534 hobby packs, the print run is truly absurd since 2020), 3 relics (Alonso, Stanton and... Aaron Hicks) and 2 auto's (of rookies who are nobodies), 3 action's (should have got 1 by the odds). It's fun, I'm happy with the fun I get from it, but it's a terrible buy for any other reason.

2021 Heritage High Number are like $50 a hobby box on the open market and about the best buy there is right now for fun vs. cost, but there's about $15 worth in the box. The massive print runs have made it really hard to hit anything numbered in your box that's worth even $2. The price on retail is absurd; blasters are like $25 now and almost nothing but base. A hobby box is about the same per pack these days from Topps.

Sounds like you did well considering it's Heritage. You hit the nail on the head. It is mainly just base in those blasters. That makes it hard to build a set and not spend a zillion bucks. As you said, the dollar value is sorely lacking, and I know it isn't a hit product. I love the idea of piecing together a set, but it is too costly. Vintage is my game, and that's where I stay.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RayBShotz 07-25-2022 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Captain.

mrreality68 07-26-2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBShotz (Post 2245629)
The Captain.

Nice looking card of the Captain. Hard to tell in the picture why is it a 7 and not higher?

RayBShotz 07-28-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2246061)
Nice looking card of the Captain. Hard to tell in the picture why is it a 7 and not higher?

They hit it hard on centering. The back is a little further off. It could be an 8 or 8.5 on a different day I suppose.

RayBShotz 07-28-2022 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a recently acquired Fielder with nice centering.
Card looks really sweet in hand.
RayB

Rad_Hazard 07-29-2022 09:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One of my favorite cards and players of the 80's and seemingly tough to track down a 10 these days that is actually centered.

Rad_Hazard 07-29-2022 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBShotz (Post 2246575)
Here's a recently acquired Fielder with nice centering.
Card looks really sweet in hand.
RayB

Beautiful Fielder! One of my favorite players as a kid. Those early refractors are really something.