Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   May Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=301577)

sayhey24 05-08-2021 05:07 AM

May Pickups

5 Attachment(s)
I don't think I've ever started a pickups thread before -- some of these are actually from late April. All but the Cy Young pin are local pickups. Someday I will figure out how to post full size photos.

Greg

Scott Garner 05-08-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 2100704)
I don't think I've ever started a pickups thread before -- some of these are actually from late April. All but the Cy Young pin are local pickups. Someday I will figure out how to post full size photos.

Greg

Very nice, Greg! Lots of cool stuff there...

sicollector1954 05-08-2021 07:32 AM

Gibson

3 Attachment(s)
At 5 months of patiently waiting, my Bob Gibson bat finally arrived back in my hands. The bat is only the 4th Adirondack in the PSA data base and has been determined to be from his MVP 1968 season and graded out at 8.5. Attached are a couple of before and after pics. Very happy with how this turned out.

eastonfalcon19 05-08-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicollector1954 (Post 2100728)
At 5 months of patiently waiting, my Bob Gibson bat finally arrived back in my hands. The bat is only the 4th Adirondack in the PSA data base and has been determined to be from his MVP 1968 season and graded out at 8.5. Attached are a couple of before and after pics. Very happy with how this turned out.

Who did you have restore your bat? Looks really nice.

sicollector1954 05-08-2021 08:52 AM

Gibson

John Taube's person. Thanks.

guy3050 05-08-2021 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this back from Michaels, Sept.29 2002 , game that this photo of Vlad and Jr. was taken

JoeDfan 05-08-2021 11:23 AM

Awesome Gibson bat!

perezfan 05-08-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guy3050 (Post 2100781)
Just got this back from Michaels, Sept.29 2002 , game that this photo of Vlad and Jr. was taken

Love this. Great idea and awesome framing!

Scott Garner 05-08-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Super restoration job. Congrats! :cool:

BeanTown 05-08-2021 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple new advertisers discovered on these baseball notes. Really excited to get these notes which was used in advertising from Colorado and New York.

Lordstan 05-08-2021 09:36 PM

In March I picked up a Ruth Check made out to Leo's Beauty salon

this month I was able to pick up this match book cover from Leo's which I think is pretty cool companion piece.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...fe8b82e0_o.jpg

Now I have to figure out how to display it. I might just tuck it in the corner of the front of the frame as I don't really want to redo the whole matt.

71buc 05-10-2021 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To many of you this will sound crazy. However, I’m thrilled to finally find an original photo of pitcher Frank Brosseau. Frank’s career spanned 3.2 innings 2 of those were with the 1971 Pirates. Obviously there is very little memorabilia related to Mr. Brosseau. He is the 71 Buc pitching version of the elusive Rimp Lanier. I had his autograph but missed out on the only other original photo of him 5 years ago. Don’t laugh too hard it’s the little things that keep me going. It’s the best $15 I spent in a loooong time.

guy3050 05-11-2021 07:34 PM

Roberto Clemente

2 Attachment(s)
Just received these 2 gorgeous 11x14 of Roberto Clemente taken and signed by Pirates Photographer Les Banos, Photo's were taken at Jarry Park in 1971

71buc 05-12-2021 12:34 AM

Beautiful photos Guy!

doug.goodman 05-12-2021 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2101392)
To many of you this will sound crazy. However, I’m thrilled to finally find an original photo of pitcher Frank Brosseau. Frank’s career spanned 3.2 innings 2 of those were with the 1971 Pirates. Obviously there is very little memorabilia related to Mr. Brosseau. He is the 71 Buc pitching version of the elusive Rimp Lanier. I had his autograph but missed out on the only other original photo of him 5 years ago. Don’t laugh too hard it’s the little things that keep me going. It’s the best $15 I spent in a loooong time.

Nice one! Congrats.

doug.goodman 05-12-2021 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 2100988)
Now I have to figure out how to display it. I might just tuck it in the corner of the front of the frame as I don't really want to redo the whole matt.

Sorry, but it's a worth a new mat...

Scott Garner 05-12-2021 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2102114)
Sorry, but it's a worth a new mat...

Definitely! ;)

sayhey24 05-12-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 2102132)
Definitely! ;)

What about a nice small frame of its own, right next to the larger original frame?!

Greg

vintagesportscollector 05-12-2021 10:03 AM

c.1900 Cornell Ceramic Football Player Plate

3 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up. I believe it to be c.1900, and it's marked 'Hand painted' and 'Germany' on the back. In my years of collecting I have only seen one other example of this plate, and the background was slightly different. It's also marked with a number on the back indicating many may have been painted. Has anyone seen other similar examples of this? maybe for other schools or different designs/poses?
Thanks

Lordstan 05-12-2021 02:16 PM

I know. I know. There is definitely part of me that wants to rematt it. I probably will at some point.
I dont have room for another frame where this one is currently.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

baseball tourist 05-12-2021 03:31 PM

Grail piece for me

4 Attachment(s)
Very excited to own a star jersey from the Jays’ first pennant winning season. Tony Fernandez’s powder blue, road gamer. Tony was lost too soon. Leader in so many categories both offensive and defensive for the team.

icollectDCsports 05-12-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseball tourist (Post 2102376)
Very excited to own a star jersey from the Jays’ first pennant winking season. Tony Fernandez powder blue, road gamer. Tony was lost too soon. Leader is so many categories both offensive and defensive for the team.

Congratulations. Beautiful jersey. And powder blue is now back in style in MLB. (Although some versions are, IMO, better than others.)

perezfan 05-12-2021 05:19 PM

Fantastic, Chris...

That pullover style in powder blue is so tough, and usually elicits a bloodbath when they come to market. Just to find one is a big win, but to snag one that was worn by a star player of Fernandez' caliber is a major conquest.... Congrats!

UKCardGuy 05-12-2021 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up this 1915 Sporting Life newspaper featuring one Charles D Stengel (e.g. Casey Stengel) on the cover.

baseball tourist 05-12-2021 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icollectDCsports (Post 2102423)
Congratulations. Beautiful jersey. And powder blue is now back in style in MLB. (Although some versions are, IMO, better than others.)

Agreed. Thanks!

baseball tourist 05-12-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2102427)
Fantastic, Chris...

That pullover style in powder blue is so tough, and usually elicits a bloodbath when they come to market. Just to find one is a big win, but to snag one that was worn by a star player of Fernandez' caliber is a major conquest.... Congrats!

Thanks Mark. Had to step up, that is for sure. Have a 1984 George Bell powder blue gamer as well. Bought that over 10 years ago and the prices have really moved!

baseball tourist 05-13-2021 12:00 AM

It’s been a good month...

6 Attachment(s)
Not as cool as the Tony F jersey, but I’m happy to have picked this up as it goes with my 1960 Leafs AAA game flannel - a team signed ball from the same season . Has a young George Anderson on the ball. International League Champs

matty39 05-15-2021 05:59 PM

BF-Unc

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up four more of these small felts.

Shoeless Moe 05-19-2021 12:51 PM

Sorry for the duplicate post - I may have posted this in someone's personal thread

7 Attachment(s)
Minneapolis Millers(1906-1913) / Boston Red Sox (1915-1919) Scorebook

....includes some guy named Ruth and many Red Sox Games.

Features one pitching matchup of Babe Ruth vs Walter Johnson, not a bad summer afternoon dual between the veteran and the young kid.
(Spoiler alert - the kid gets rocked and WJ shuts out the Sox).

Also, one of the games is Ruth's 1st career Save, not that Ruth knew what the hell a Save was.

Not sure what the Minneapolis & Boston connection is, a scorekeeper who finally got The Call, or a Reporter who was re-assigned/relocated or a fan who followed both teams.
Maybe I'll find something going through the pages, maybe not.

I love a good mystery......as you know.

ThomasL 05-19-2021 01:06 PM

Very cool, I threw some bids on that as well.

Shoeless Moe 05-19-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasL (Post 2104737)
Very cool, I threw some bids on that as well.

Damn you, stop running me up!!!!!

I kid I kid

ThomasL 05-21-2021 09:41 PM

LOL I just threw in the first bid with my ceiling very low and didnt rebid..I think.

Also I see a 1908 game vs Indianapolis with HOFer Rube Marquard pitching

Topnotchsy 05-24-2021 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Possibly the most exciting pickup I've had in a few years. It's an item I've been looking for (and posting on the BST boards here) for a few years.

1946 Nashua Dodgers Don Newcombe Contract

To provide a bit of historical background (which I'm sure is familiar to many here). In the off-season between the 1945 and 1946 baseball seasons, the Dodgers made history by signing 4 black players. Famously, the first player they signed (who would also break the color barrier when he was the first called up to the Majors after 1 season in the Minors) was Jackie Robinson. After Robinson, they signed a pitcher named John Wright who was to be Jackie's roommate. He had talent, but struggled under the circumstances and never made the Majors. Both players initially played for the Dodger's AAA team in Montreal. Branch Rickey understood the challenge these players would face, and so wanted to make sure they were paired off.

The other pair of black players that Rickey signed were Roy Campanella and Don Newcombe. While initially assigned to Danville, IL, they were reassigned to play for the Nashua Dodgers (under manager Walt Alston) after the Danville team indicated they were not ready to integrate.

A number of years back I was lucky enough to acquire Roy Campanella's 1946 Nashua contract (as well as his Danville contract). I had been searching and trying to acquire Newcombe's Nashua contract for years with no success.

Recently I was able to work a deal for Newcombe's Nashua contract, and I'm thrilled to be able to add it to the collection alongside the Campanella contracts from the same season.

For me when it comes to integration, the contract, which was in many ways the first step towards integration, was a huge deal. Both Newcombe and Campanella signed their contracts before Jackie (or any other black player) had played a game in the Minors or Majors.

Mark 05-26-2021 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 2106537)
Possibly the most exciting pickup I've had in a few years. It's an item I've been looking for (and posting on the BST boards here) for a few years.

To provide a bit of historical background (which I'm sure is familiar to many here). In the off-season between the 1945 and 1946 baseball seasons, the Dodgers made history by signing 4 black players. Famously, the first player they signed (who would also break the color barrier when he was the first called up to the Majors after 1 season in the Minors) was Jackie Robinson. After Robinson, they signed a pitcher named John Wright who was to be Jackie's roommate. He had talent, but struggled under the circumstances and never made the Majors. Both players initially played for the Dodger's AAA team in Montreal. Branch Rickey understood the challenge these players would face, and so wanted to make sure they were paired off.

The other pair of black players that Rickey signed were Roy Campanella and Don Newcombe. While initially assigned to Danville, IL, they were reassigned to play for the Nashua Dodgers (under manager Walt Alston) after the Danville team indicated they were not ready to integrate.

A number of years back I was lucky enough to acquire Roy Campanella's 1946 Nashua contract (as well as his Danville contract). I had been searching and trying to acquire Newcombe's Nashua contract for years with no success.

Recently I was able to work a deal for Newcombe's Nashua contract, and I'm thrilled to be able to add it to the collection alongside the Campanella contracts from the same season.

For me when it comes to integration, the contract, which was in many ways the first step towards integration, was a huge deal. Both Newcombe and Campanella signed their contracts before Jackie (or any other black player) had played a game in the Minors or Majors.

That's a very interesting piece. It's gratifying to learn that your focused collecting meets with success.

UKCardGuy 05-28-2021 08:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

That's a great piece (especially as you have the matching Campanella contract). Thanks for the additional background info. I learned a few things.

While not as exciting as that, this 1920 Spalding Guide arrived today. I was pleased with the condition. It features the 1919 World Series and the Black Sox team as well as Ruth.

ooo-ribay 05-28-2021 08:07 PM

Quote:

Looks great. Those foil stamped Adirondacks just did not hold up. I have a beat up Bobby Bonds I would like to restore but the price I got was two or three times what the bat is worth.

sicollector1954 05-29-2021 06:08 AM

May Pickups

Thank you. Understood.

Clutch-Hitter 05-29-2021 09:00 AM

1980-83 C271 Claudell Washington

Big pick-up for me as I'm assembling an early 80s Braves game used bat collection. As a youngster, when my friends weren't available to play ball, I used to mimic the Braves players, assuming their batting stances and throwing the ball up to hit it. Their averages in those games were very high and they jacked a lot of dingers! For the most part, however, my friends and I played sandlot games all day every day.

Currently I have:
* Bruce Benedict (2)
* Glenn Hubbard (2)
* Rafael Ramirez (3)
* Bob Horner (2)
* Dale Murphy (4), two of which are Phillies and don't count toward my project, selling to apply towards other bats
* Terry Harper
* Bob Watson
* Claudell Washington

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4684d54e_z.jpg1980-83 C271 Claudell by Greg Martin, on Flickr

eastonfalcon19 05-29-2021 09:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Not huge value items but pretty cool items in my book. I also love to find game used bats from obscure players especially Yankee players. The bat is a Chet Trail GU bat from the 60s. Chet Trail is the only player to be on a World Series (1964) roster without ever appearing in a major league game. The deed is from a house owned by Henry Anson father of Cap Anson.

Clutch-Hitter 05-29-2021 10:07 AM

Great bat, Ron! Bats used by guys who fought for years in the minors for a shot in the show have a strong impression on me.

ooo-ribay 05-29-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 (Post 2108066)
Not huge value items but pretty cool items in my book. I also love to find game used bats from obscure players especially Yankee players. The bat is a Chet Trail GU bat from the 60s. Chet Trail is the only player to be on a World Series (1964) roster without ever appearing in a major league game. The deed is from a house owned by Henry Anson father of Cap Anson.

Unreal.

sayhey24 05-29-2021 01:16 PM

Very cool items Ron!

Greg

Topnotchsy 05-30-2021 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2106969)
That's a very interesting piece. It's gratifying to learn that your focused collecting meets with success.

Thank you! Definitely gratifying to find something that's a real centerpiece to the collection. I can go many months without finding anything that really fits, so almost any pick-up is a big deal for this collection. (I collect other areas as well, since a "once-every-few-months" collection isn't keeping me busy enough haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2107699)
That's a great piece (especially as you have the matching Campanella contract). Thanks for the additional background info. I learned a few things.

While not as exciting as that, this 1920 Spalding Guide arrived today. I was pleased with the condition. It features the 1919 World Series and the Black Sox team as well as Ruth.

Thank you! And my pleasure. One of the joys of collecting is the way it leads to uncovering fascinating history; which inevitably shines a light on other items to collect.

The Guide you picked up there is awesome! Love the pictures from that era!

MVSNYC 05-30-2021 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guy3050 (Post 2100781)

When I first opened this thread and glanced at this, I thought it was that famous picture of Altuve and Judge, ha! :D

Nice piece!

rlevy 05-30-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

1946 Nashua Dodgers Don Newcombe Contract.

Jeff, great addition to your incredible collection. I know you have been chasing that one for quite a while, good to see it finally made it into the proper home.

Rick

Jcosta19 05-30-2021 06:45 PM

First press pin I've picked up in awhile.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...de1b927b12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bpm0014 05-31-2021 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ty Cobb painting I had custom made by a painter. Turned out great. Looks even better in person. It’s huge. 3ft by 4 ft.

LOUCARDFAN 05-31-2021 10:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this MLB authenticated 2017 Rhys Hoskins rookie game used jersey. Did some research and found out that he actually used this jersey to hit his first ever MLB home run. He also used this same jersey to hit 8 of his record breaking 18 home runs in 2017 to become the fastest player in MLB history in terms of games played. He hit 18 home runs in 118 AB’s in just 34 games.

milkit1 05-31-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 2108709)
Ty Cobb painting I had custom made by a painter. Turned out great. Looks even better in person. It’s huge. 3ft by 4 ft.

Looks great! Who was the painter? Id love to have a t3 Tinker like that :)

murphusa 05-31-2021 12:40 PM

early photo

1 Attachment(s)
recent pickup. Can anyone please help me date this