Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Joe Tinker Cigar Box - glass cover (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=63235)

Archive 03-09-2003 12:22 PM

Joe Tinker Cigar Box - glass cover

Posted By: <b>runscott&nbsp; </b><p>Any idea what these are worth? This is meant to cover the cigar box lid (I think - it's the same size) and is glass with bronze-colored metal rim and has "Joe Tinker" printed on it. It looks like a license plate holder.

Archive 03-09-2003 01:37 PM

Posted By: <b>Hankron</b><p>Never heard of that before (let's see what Leon has to say). If original/vintage, it would be worth good money. Any original and substantial baseball star tobacco box items (box, labels, etc) are worth good money. I do know that there was a Joe Tinker cigar brand issued around 1910, and I've seen the box, labels and even cigar bands around.

Archive 03-09-2003 05:34 PM

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>I'm picking it up tomorrow. Also found a "Roger Maris" baseball game and several other baseball-related items, all at the same place and at fair prices.<BR><BR>Remember those 1950's "painting" card-decks? There were a lot of graded Wagners and Cobbs on ebay about a year ago. This guy has the Mathewson as the back-drop for a calendar - the picture is about 14 x 20.

Archive 03-09-2003 08:43 PM

Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>Scott, I have had several of those, they are actually pretty common, it is hard to get much more than $100 for them. Hope this helps. <BR><BR>

Archive 03-11-2003 07:53 AM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I have seen several of the Tinker cigar boxes.....and agree with Scott about the prices.....of course condition is always a factor but $100 sounds about right.....good luck and best regards

Archive 03-12-2003 06:15 AM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>After further review I was commenting on a Tinker Cigar box and that is not what Scott F. has found. It is basically a slide that goes over the box....probably......so back to square 1/3 for me....not sure about this .....regards.....

Archive 03-12-2003 06:45 AM

Posted By: <b>Keith O'Leary</b><p>Scott, I've seen several of these. Stores used these and they were meant to hold the cardboard cigar box lid in an upright position (displaying the inside cigar box label to customers) while keeping the cigars covered by the glass. $100-200. Now you need to find the box and you have a great display. Hope this helps, Keith<BR>

Archive 03-12-2003 06:46 AM

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>That makes more sense - nothing worse than a "stale Tinker".