Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tendencies of starting new sets (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=291669)

bks14sr 11-12-2020 07:26 AM

Tendencies of starting new sets

I am starting to see a pattern in my collecting. I hunt down bigger cards of interest, and these cards are typically the primary cards of their respective sets. Then something happens in my mind, that starts making me justify building the set. It痴 first happened when I bought a 52T Mays. I initially just had interest in the main 52T cards (Mays, Mantle, Robinson, Mathews), but that turned into building a low number set. Now 6 cards away from a low number set, I知 now building a master low number set and high numbers. 80% in, so why stop right haha?

This same thing happened after getting a 54T Aaron, which I知 now most of the way into the 54T set. Now the latest occurrence, bought a Leaf Robinson last week and already justifying pieces to this set. I think I have an addiction

ALR-bishop 11-12-2020 09:57 AM

Bill-- I have had the set addiction on and off, mostly on, since 1957. There are 12 step programs for almost all addictions, maybe set building too :)

What will be included in your 52 low number master set ?

steve B 11-12-2020 10:51 AM

That's a much better way of going after sets than what most of us do.

Buy a bunch of cards from a set, realize I'm maybe 1/3 of the way there, or just like the set, and consider going after the rest. Which very quickly becomes just needing the expensive cards, and now they're way out of reach.

rats60 11-12-2020 11:00 AM

Most of the time I go into it with the intentions of completing the set. However, there have been a couple of exceptions. When I first started going to shows one of the main dealers I bought from got a nice high grade collection of t206s. Mostly he just dealt in Topps and Bowman. He talked me into buying two, a Matty and Speaker. I ended up putting the set together.

The second time was when I got married, I talked my wife into picking a set to collect. She decided on t205s. She was so picky on condition, I didn't think we would ever finish the set. Fast forward many years and I saw a PSA 6 Cobb at auction. I ended up putting a max bid in on the card and winning it. After getting the key card, I decided to finish off the set.

ALR-bishop 11-12-2020 11:48 AM

rats--does your wife generally follow or participate in your collecting ? I find it fascinating she picked t 205s. What other sets did she consider and what were deciding factors ?

rats60 11-12-2020 12:01 PM

She definitely follows my collecting, especially larger purchases. I pretty much self fund my collection by selling off things I no longer want. However, she is very interested and encouraging in my activities. I think it stems from when we first got married. I got the down payment on our first house from selling cards. She understands that cards are good investments and something we can tap into if we need quick cash.

We used to go to shows together. So I encouraged her to collect things for herself rather than just watch me. I had all the Topps and Bowman sets including many odd ball Topps sets, t206, 33 Goudey and 41 Play Ball. So, that didn't leave her much to choose from and pretty much just Prewar. The only other set she expressed interest in was the 38 Goudey. She bought a DiMaggio after meeting him and getting his autograph.

Volod 11-12-2020 12:46 PM

Rats 60

Wow, you're fortunate to have such a considerate and cooperative spouse...but I guess my impression is formed mostly from personal experience.:::o

judsonhamlin 11-12-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2034436)

Buy a bunch of cards from a set, realize I'm maybe 1/3 of the way there, or just like the set, and consider going after the rest. Which very quickly becomes just needing the expensive cards, and now they're way out of reach.

This totally sums up my last 35 years of card collecting. Like a set, buy a bunch of commons and then get stuck on the superstars. I'm in the middle of doing it again with 1963 but at least have some of the big ones (not Rose, though) from a long time ago.

wdwfan 11-12-2020 02:24 PM

You must know me. Or at least my collection habits. Happening right now on my 57 set. I've got over half the set, most of which are commons/lower tier stars. Don't have but a handful of the tougher 3rd (or 4th, can't remember exactly) series and just a couple of stars (Maz RC, Colavito RC, Martin, Spahn, etc.).

Debating on just selling my entire starter lot minus the stars and just picking up stars I like. I've never dealt in graded, but I'm thinking of picking up a few graded HOFers/stars I like from the 1950s/1960s just to add more quality to my collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2034436)

bks14sr 11-12-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2034417)
Bill-- I have had the set addiction on and off, mostly on, since 1957. There are 12 step programs for almost all addictions, maybe set building too :)

What will be included in your 52 low number master set ?

It is truly an addiction. I even go into some of these purchases telling myself the limits. Then I start scrolling the forums and eBay, and just can稚 pass good finds.

Regarding my 52 set, I will have red/black backs, color/print variations, and errors, but not chasing the grey backs. I知 about 40 cards away in total, including the Sain error card

bks14sr 11-12-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 2034440)
Most of the time I go into it with the intentions of completing the set. However, there have been a couple of exceptions. When I first started going to shows one of the main dealers I bought from got a nice high grade collection of t206s. Mostly he just dealt in Topps and Bowman. He talked me into buying two, a Matty and Speaker. I ended up putting the set together.

The second time was when I got married, I talked my wife into picking a set to collect. She decided on t205s. She was so picky on condition, I didn't think we would ever finish the set. Fast forward many years and I saw a PSA 6 Cobb at auction. I ended up putting a max bid in on the card and winning it. After getting the key card, I decided to finish off the set.

I致e yet to dive into T206s, as I知 scared I知 going to lose control goin for that set. But, I do want the 4 Cobb cards, with the intent of stopping with those.

I知 jealous that you also have your wife collecting. My wife likely thinks I知 an idiot for some of my purchases.