Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   November Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327329)

eastonfalcon19 11-07-2022 04:30 PM

November Pickups

2 Attachment(s)
I guess I'll start November off with these two pieces. A 1958 LA Dodgers home schedule banner that came from a vendor in the area. Also picked up a GoodYear military negro league team photo.

GrayGhost 11-07-2022 05:49 PM

Great start to the pickups Ronnie

rlevy 11-07-2022 07:28 PM

Never seen that banner before, I'm quite jealous! Very nice pick-up.

Rick

Lucas00 11-07-2022 07:47 PM

Got this cool Yogi Yoo-hoo cup was listed as 60s but I think maybe early 70s. Dating it seems near impossible.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7d4c1b9358.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5af93afcbb.jpg

Chris Counts 11-10-2022 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is likely smallest thing I've ever bought on eBay — it measures only 3/4 of an inch. Not only does it feature one of the coolest Tiger mascots I've seen, but it appears to have come from an active war zone. When I tracked it online, I discovered that it was shipped from Dnipro, Ukraine on Oct. 23. The city was targeted by Russian missiles at least twice in the previous two weeks. I tracked the package online, and after it reached Odessa, it fell off the radar for about 10 days before popping up in Jamaica, New York. Two days later, it arrived in my post office box.

These pins were part of a Detroit Free Press promotion in 1935 when the Tigers won the World Series. "Iffy" penned a column in the newspaper.

bigfanNY 11-10-2022 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2281556)
Got this cool Yogi Yoo-hoo cup was listed as 60s but I think maybe early 70s. Dating it seems near impossible.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7d4c1b9358.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...5af93afcbb.jpg

I agree with 60's in fact early 60's. By 65 Yogi was a Met. And late 60's early 70's had the 7-11 cups. I think the style of plastic cup you would expect from the 70's era would be more like the 7-11 cups vs the style of cup you have.
Jmho
Jonathan

Lucas00 11-10-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 2282441)
I agree with 60's in fact early 60's. By 65 Yogi was a Met. And late 60's early 70's had the 7-11 cups. I think the style of plastic cup you would expect from the 70's era would be more like the 7-11 cups vs the style of cup you have.
Jmho
Jonathan

Makes sense to me. Didn't take that simple fact into account. Facepalm. Thanks Jonathan.

ooo-ribay 11-11-2022 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2282379)
This is likely smallest thing I've ever bought on eBay — it measures only 3/4 of an inch. Not only does it feature one of the coolest Tiger mascots I've seen, but it appears to have come from an active war zone. When I tracked it online, I discovered that it was shipped from Dnipro, Ukraine on Oct. 23. The city was targeted by Russian missiles at least twice in the previous two weeks. I tracked the package online, and after it reached Odessa, it fell off the radar for about 10 days before popping up in Jamaica, New York. Two days later, it arrived in my post office box.

These pins were part of a Detroit Free Press promotion in 1935 when the Tigers won the World Series. "Iffy" penned a column in the newspaper.

Love it!

So awful what is happening in Ukraine. :(

mrreality68 11-11-2022 06:59 AM

Some amazing items.

nothing for me this month

But keep them coming everyone

guy3050 11-11-2022 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a new purchase but just got my Jarry Stadium seats (Expos 1969-1976) back from putting legs on them

LEHR 11-11-2022 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My lone November pickup so far. c.1918-21 Charles Conlon photo of Stuffy McInnis. Technically won in October but delivered in November.:)

Lordstan 11-11-2022 02:37 PM

Picked up a super hard to find Davega catalog with Lou on the back.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3eea9a9dd2.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...51f8c7ab94.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...cef3dd7855.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...91c807de6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

perezfan 11-11-2022 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 2282749)

Awesome! Really love Sporting Goods Catalogs from the 1930s and older. Now you just need to find a pair of those cleats to match the Catalog image!

Lordstan 11-11-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2282779)
Awesome! Really love Sporting Goods Catalogs from the 1930s and older. Now you just need to find a pair of those cleats to match the Catalog image!

I actually know someone who has the shoes and the box with the label. It's beautiful

perezfan 11-12-2022 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 2282805)
I actually know someone who has the shoes and the box with the label. It's beautiful

Oh, that's cool. You often see the DiMaggio endorsed cleats New-In-Box, but don't think I've ever seen the Gehrig Cleats.

Lordstan 11-12-2022 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2283062)
Oh, that's cool. You often see the DiMaggio endorsed cleats New-In-Box, but don't think I've ever seen the Gehrig Cleats.

He bought these early this year.
https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...m=92&lot_qual=

Hankphenom 11-13-2022 08:24 AM

Quote:

Picked up a super hard to find Davega catalog with Lou on the back. Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

What an interesting piece! Is there a date on it? This would seem to date the demise of D&M. Not a huge expert on these thingss, but don't think I've heard of Davega before, despite their claim to be the country's biggest sports outfitter. Would love to be able to read some of the names of the endorsed gloves, mitts, and bats. Anyone know if there's a relation between Davega and the Athco cleats someone posted? So much to digest here.

etsmith 11-13-2022 06:23 PM

Wikipedia has an article on Davega Stores, located in New York apparently.

Chris Counts 11-18-2022 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this wonderful photo of the 1944 Senators — I'd been watching it on eBay for years as a BIN, and the seller finally auctioned it with a low minimum bid. It's filled with an interesting assortment of war-time fill-ins, including a few players from Latin America (Mike Guerra, Alex Carrasquel, Roberto Ortiz). There are also some great old-timers as manager and coaches (Ossie Bluege, Nick Altrock, George Uhle and Clyde Milan), along with HOFer Rick Ferrell, the ill-fated Jake Powell and a very early Early Wynn. The billboards in Griffith Stadium make a great backdrop.

LEHR 11-18-2022 09:26 AM

That's a great photo, Chris!

bgar3 11-18-2022 09:47 AM

Nice photo. George Case was from where I grew up and had a sporting goods store. As an aside he was related to the Case’s pork roll family.

bigfanNY 11-18-2022 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 2284764)
I just picked up this wonderful photo of the 1944 Senators — I'd been watching it on eBay for years as a BIN, and the seller finally auctioned it with a low minimum bid. It's filled with an interesting assortment of war-time fill-ins, including a few players from Latin America (Mike Guerra, Alex Carrasquel, Roberto Ortiz). There are also some great old-timers as manager and coaches (Ossie Bluege, Nick Altrock, George Uhle and Clyde Milan), along with HOFer Rick Ferrell, the ill-fated Jake Powell and a very early Early Wynn. The billboards in Griffith Stadium make a great backdrop.

Chris I had same photo. I got it from a board member who bought it as part of items from Dutch Leonard's estate. I thought it was 43 based on players. It looked good on my wall for a few years and I sold mine on BST. Such a great photo..with alot of tough signatures. Enjoy it.
J

Schlesinj 11-18-2022 10:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Super excited to grab this on Heritage tonight.Attachment 543144

Attachment 543145

Goes with my ticket and program collection from 1927 WS.

Michael B 11-20-2022 12:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My Olympic club collector's show was in Colorado Springs the first weekend of November. Despite publicizing it our show rarely attracts anyone off of the street. Being in Colorado Springs, home of the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, Training Center and Museum we did expect more than normal. During the show one of the other members came up to me and started looking for an autograph. He asked me to come to his table. A woman was standing there. She said her grandfather, Ben Eastman, competed in the 1932 Olympics. I knew who he was as I had written him in the early 1990's. He won a silver medal in the 400m. I told her I had the cover of the 1932 Time magazine he was on signed by him and I would send it to her for free. I also have a number of photos I could scan and email to her. She said she would come back the next day. She came to my table the next day with two boxes. One had a 6' x 8' Olympic flag, presumably from the 1932 games. She showed me a photo of it in a frame on her wall. It looks like she went through quite a bit to get it down.

The other box was his wool warmup suit from the 1932 Olympics. She gave me the box and said she wanted me to have it. She appreciated my knowledge and enthusiasm and knew I would enjoy having it. Strangely, she had contacted the Olympic Museum years ago and they did not respond to her. The archivist, a Parlympic medalist and two time winner of the NY City Marathon wheelchair division, said they did not have one and would gladly display it if I would loan it to them. I want to enjoy having it in my possession for now. Perhaps I will loan it to them in the future.

Here are some photos. It is almost navy blue and made by Spalding. My camera was being stubborn so no good photos of the tagging. The zippers on the pants still work perfectly. I am also including a photo of the Reemstma card that shows him wearing it. He is on the right. The photo of the box is how it will be stored. That is an archival, metal edge box. The two pieces are folded in unbuffered tissue and there a desiccant cannister inside. When covered the box will be placed in a polyethylene bag.

Attachment 543311

Attachment 543312

Attachment 543313

Attachment 543315

Attachment 543314

Lordstan 11-20-2022 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 2285341)
My Olympic club collector's show was in Colorado Springs the first weekend of November. Despite publicizing it our show rarely attracts anyone off of the street. Being in Colorado Springs, home of the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee, Training Center and Museum we did expect more than normal. During the show one of the other members came up to me and started looking for an autograph. He asked me to come to his table. A woman was standing there. She said her grandfather, Ben Eastman, competed in the 1932 Olympics. I knew who he was as I had written him in the early 1990's. He won a silver medal in the 400m. I told her I had the cover of the 1932 Time magazine he was on signed by him and I would send it to her for free. I also have a number of photos I could scan and email to her. She said she would come back the next day. She came to my table the next day with two boxes. One had a 6' x 8' Olympic flag, presumably from the 1932 games. She showed me a photo of it in a frame on her wall. It looks like she went through quite a bit to get it down.

The other box was his wool warmup suit from the 1932 Olympics. She gave me the box and said she wanted me to have it. She appreciated my knowledge and enthusiasm and knew I would enjoy having it. Strangely, she had contacted the Olympic Museum years ago and they did not respond to her. The archivist, a Parlympic medalist and two time winner of the NY City Marathon wheelchair division, said they did not have one and would gladly display it if I would loan it to them. I want to enjoy having it in my possession for now. Perhaps I will loan it to them in the future.

Here are some photos. It is almost navy blue and made by Spalding. My camera was being stubborn so no good photos of the tagging. The zippers on the pants still work perfectly. I am also including a photo of the Reemstma card that shows him wearing it. He is on the right. The photo of the box is how it will be stored. That is an archival, metal edge box. The two pieces are folded in unbuffered tissue and there a desiccant cannister inside. When covered the box will be placed in a polyethylene bag.

Attachment 543311

Attachment 543312

Attachment 543313

Attachment 543315

Attachment 543314

Now I don't collect Olympic items, but that is unbelievably spectacular. To have that survive for so long is crazy. Congrats.

Scott Garner 11-20-2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 2285382)
Now I don't collect Olympic items, but that is unbelievably spectacular. To have that survive for so long is crazy. Congrats.

Agreed! Congrats on this amazing pickup, Michael.
I would say that these historic artifacts have landed in exactly the right hands. :cool:

bigfanNY 11-20-2022 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Not a recent pick up but prewar Davega items dont show up often. This is a 1938 Schedule for all 3 NY teams as well as the Jersey city Giants and The 1938 "Wonder Bears" it also advertise the Four Minute Crossing into NY via the Tunnells and Bridges. LOL for any who have traveled them recently.

Michael B 11-21-2022 08:57 PM

Mark and Scott,

Thank you for the kind words. Many of the members of my group, much like some collectors in the major four sports, do not appreciate the history of the game(s). They are happy with their pins, medals and programs, but little else. I consider myself to be fortunate to be the caretaker of such an item.

the-illini 11-22-2022 08:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some new photos for me recently - sorry for the big images; they are normal sized on my PC...

an early shot of Joe McGinnity

Frank Chance as manager of the 1923 Red Sox, his last appearance in a ML uniform before his death a year later

Grover Alexander returning from WW1 in 1918

An early photo of Frank Frisch as a member of the NY Giants and

Amos Rusie playing the field in a shot from what I believe is from a 1921 reunion of old NY Giants players in which Rusie appeared

Mark 11-22-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-illini (Post 2286362)
Some new photos for me recently - sorry for the big images; they are normal sized on my PC...

an early shot of Joe McGinnity

Frank Chance as manager of the 1923 Red Sox, his last appearance in a ML uniform before his death a year later

Grover Alexander returning from WW1 in 1918

An early photo of Frank Frisch as a member of the NY Giants and

Amos Rusie playing the field in a shot from what I believe is from a 1921 reunion of old NY Giants players in which Rusie appeared

My oh my, those are fantastic images.

Bicem 11-23-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlesinj (Post 2285010)
Super excited to grab this on Heritage tonight.Attachment 543144

Attachment 543145

Goes with my ticket and program collection from 1927 WS.

Outstanding!

khkco4bls 11-23-2022 04:40 PM

Joe McGinnity what's up with those spikes... good lord

the-illini 11-23-2022 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khkco4bls (Post 2286654)

Ha I just noticed those now - he could aerate the field with those things

Hankphenom 11-24-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Maybe he had longer cleats (not spikes) made, helping him in some way or at least he thought so. Those look to be about twice as long as regular cleats.

mikecala98 11-25-2022 02:23 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...17c250afdd.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...4e5de05dc6.jpg
Grabbed these for $10 each today.

UKCardGuy 11-25-2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 2283109)
He bought these early this year.
https://huntauctions.com/live/imagev...m=92&lot_qual=

Wow. Those are seriously cool.

Michael B 11-26-2022 12:55 AM

Quote:

It may be similar to track cleats that were used on dirt or cinder tracks. There are different lengths of the pointed spikes depending on what you did. Shorter ones for longer distances, high jump, pole vault and longer ones for sprinters, javelin. The longer ones may be good for stealing bases. Those big squared off spikes may be good for digging in to get a good jump while stealing

Michael B 11-26-2022 01:06 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Program for the gold medal basketball game at the 1936 Olympics.
Attachment 544253

Attachment 544254

Program for the demonstration baseball game at the 1936 Olympics
Attachment 544255

Attachment 544256

The manager for the World Champions (weltmeister) was former major leaguer Les Mann.

Ticket to the game and the Pet. Cremer card showing the two catchers: Harry Stark Wagnon and Norman Livermore, Jr. (1911-2006). Livermore went to Stanford. Served in the Navy in WWII. Participated in the amphibious landings in Sicily, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He served in Governor Ronald Regan's cabinet for both his terms at State Secretary of Resources.

Attachment 544262

Attachment 544263
Real photo postcard of the stadium cancelled at the stadium on August 12, the date of the baseball game. The message: "I hope you enjoy the baseball match as much as I do!! Ha-ha. Love ? & Phil. It appears Phil may have sent it to himself.

eastonfalcon19 11-26-2022 02:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picked up this photo featuring a nice Wright & Ditson uniform and a Jimmie Ripple Krens bat.

Mark 11-27-2022 11:03 AM

Jimmy Ripple bat!