Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Help and thoughts on a pick up (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=303568)

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 09:45 AM

Help and thoughts on a pick up

3 Attachment(s)
Just arrived in the mail today!!!

My question is would someone suggest a company to have this authenticated with? Preferably in person if possible and yes, I am willing to travel. I say this because I have a total of about 7-10 additional items I need authenticated including a couple of cards.

Behold my newest member of the family :)

earlywynnfan 06-14-2021 09:55 AM

That's a cool piece! Have to say, don't know if it's worth authenticating, though. For peace of mind, I'd zoom on the Allison and McGraw sigs and post them here to be certain, but I cannot fathom this being forged.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 06-14-2021 10:04 AM

Yes, its retail value would be almost equal to the coat of authentication.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lets see if this works (trying to zoom)

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 2113589)
Yes, its retail value would be almost equal to the coat of authentication.

Well that begs another question then if I may, what's worth authenticating?

I've got the following (all won in the same auto lot from an auction):

Mel Ott
Lefty Grove x 2 items
Hank Bauer
Leo Durocher
Reggie Jackson
Nolan Ryan

I can post picks here shortly as well.

cookie 06-14-2021 10:35 AM

the Groves would certainly be the best .Then Ryan,possibly durocher ,then pmaybe Jackson, and lastly Bauer in regards to highest to lowest retail value.

rand1com 06-14-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie (Post 2113601)
the Groves would certainly be the best .Then Ryan,possibly durocher ,then pmaybe Jackson, and lastly Bauer in regards to highest to lowest retail value.

I think Mel Ott would trump Grove pretty easily.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 11:13 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Pics of everything (oh and I left out Fergie Jenkins, Billy Williams, and Phil Niekro)

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 11:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 11:18 AM

6 Attachment(s)
more pics (and last ones)

Oh and I left out Reggie Jackson, Lloyd Waner (aka Little Poison), and Ken Hubbs

cookie 06-14-2021 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=rand1com;2113603 I did not see the Ott; but indeed it would be of much more value than the Grove.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I should have done each one individually, my mistake.....its in the first shot(s) in the middle beside the Ryan...but here is all by itself

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
zoomed (also may I add, its in a recessed paper lining, most likely framed at some point?) Oh and all of these with the exception of the Nolan Ryan at the very top were in the same auction lot.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lefty by himself (2 cards are taped on there is the only reason I haven't tried to peel them off)

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a zoom of the card

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
zoom of the other left with the 2 reprint cards taped on it

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-14-2021 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
card again (slightly zoomed out)

rand1com 06-14-2021 02:33 PM

I don't like either of the Groves and the Ott is also suspect in my opinion. Wait for others to chime in for more input.

Was this a major auction house that sold the lot?

Lordstan 06-14-2021 03:02 PM

I am ok with the ott, but the 2 Groves do seem a bit suspect to me. Much of the rest of it aapeaes pretty good imo

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-24-2021 06:17 PM

*update*

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2113711)
I don't like either of the Groves and the Ott is also suspect in my opinion. Wait for others to chime in for more input.

Was this a major auction house that sold the lot?

No kidding I had to wait on a new scanner, mine kicked the bucket that day lol....

Any who.... to answer your question, no sir, it was not a major auction house. It was an online estate auction.
Picked up other items such as this at that same auction (new scan)

Duluth Eskimo 06-26-2021 11:01 PM

It is my opinion that the Ott is a forgery. The Grove’s look terrible, but he had some ugly looking autos late in life. Not sure on those. The rest look good.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 07-01-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 2117298)
It is my opinion that the Ott is a forgery. The Grove’s look terrible, but he had some ugly looking autos late in life. Not sure on those. The rest look good.

I noticed that some of his (Grove's) certified auto's look similar to mine but I gotta admit, when I received them I was a bit skeptical, especially the art work one (in white).

Now the Ott on the other hand, I'm curious, what makes you believe it's a forgery? I ask b/c there's been 1 or 2 yay's and 1 or 2 ney's on the Ott.

I bought a black light to put it under as well (little flashlight type device but high powered) looks good under that (I can post pics if that helps). I ask all these questions b/c I don't want to waste ton of money to have those possibly certified. I have family near Tampa florida and there is a baseball card show in August that Im thinking about booking a flight to b/c its gonna have reps from JSA attending (I believe).

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!!!

oldeboo 07-01-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey (Post 2118891)
I was a bit skeptical, especially the art work one (in white).

That one does look extra odd IMO. It looks like a Lufly Groe signature :D You can even see a little hesitation when the person that did that one was deciding to go with Groe or Grove. The "y" doesn't swing back and cross the "t" either, just a bunch off with that one.

David Atkatz 07-01-2021 02:06 PM

One obvious problem with the two Groves is that they weren't done by the same person.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 07-01-2021 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldeboo (Post 2118898)
That one does look extra odd IMO. It looks like a Lufly Groe signature :D You can even see a little hesitation when the person that did that one was deciding to go with Groe or Grove. The "y" doesn't swing back and cross the "t" either, just a bunch off with that one.

agreed but ce la vie (plus wallet damage was minimal b/c each one was a different "lot" so at least I got that going for me which is good..... lol :rolleyes: )

David Atkatz 07-01-2021 02:13 PM

And, Mike... There's no such thing as a "certified" autograph. All PSA and JSA do is express an opinion, which, when push comes to shove, they will not stand behind. (Nor do they have to. The fine print legally indemnifies them against all damages incurred by the individual who naively believed the self-proclaimed experts.)

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 07-01-2021 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the Ott under the black light.

The piece of paper that's signed almost looks like old construction paper from when some of us were kids lol. The bottom right corner of the signed portion is missing, like it was cut out of something???

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 07-01-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 2118914)
And, Mike... There's no such thing as a "certified" autograph. All PSA and JSA do is express an opinion, which, when push comes to shove, they will not stand behind. (Nor do they have to. The fine print legally indemnifies them against all damages incurred by the individual who naively believed the self-proclaimed experts.)

Oh sure, I certainly understand that, this is strictly one of those "piece of mind" things for me personally.

And as most things in life, it comes back around to money..............The Ott alone set me back $8 whole dollars (no joking)

Duluth Eskimo 07-02-2021 09:25 PM

Quote:

I noticed that some of his (Grove's) certified auto's look similar to mine but I gotta admit, when I received them I was a bit skeptical, especially the art work one (in white).

Now the Ott on the other hand, I'm curious, what makes you believe it's a forgery? I ask b/c there's been 1 or 2 yay's and 1 or 2 ney's on the Ott.

I bought a black light to put it under as well (little flashlight type device but high powered) looks good under that (I can post pics if that helps). I ask all these questions b/c I don't want to waste ton of money to have those possibly certified. I have family near Tampa florida and there is a baseball card show in August that Im thinking about booking a flight to b/c its gonna have reps from JSA attending (I believe).

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!!!

Doesn’t matter to me what anyone else says. That is my opinion. I think the size is off as is the flow. Ott has a distinct quick signature.

David Atkatz 07-05-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

I bought a black light to put it under as well (little flashlight type device but high powered) looks good under that

What do you mean "looks good under that"? What did you expect the UV light to do?

Lordstan 07-05-2021 05:14 PM

If you are going to keep this stuff, then none of it is worth the fees to cert, regardless if it's good or bad. It's certainly is not worth a plane flight anywhere.

IMO, the only value to certing is resale purposes. Often times(not always mind you) you can sell items for more, and often more quickly, if they come with a cert. Now you have to weight how much more you would get for certed item vs the cost of the cert. What I mean is that an item that will sell for $20 more certed vs non is not worth spending $20 to cert.
I know lots of people love getting things certed and slabbed. Good for them. It's their money to spend how they wish. For myself, I would rather keep the money from certing and spend it on more items. When I die, my wife will ship all my stuff to an auction house that can deal with decision regarding which items to cert and can send my family a check when it's sold.