Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ebay seller returned cracked out slab (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275554)

toolifedave 11-07-2019 08:20 AM

Ebay seller returned cracked out slab

I sold a GIA slabbed card and buyer cracked it out to try to get a better grade.

He then asked to return claiming it wasn't authentic, but PSA said it was altered and never said it wasn't authentic.

I accidentally hit accepting return but didn't know at the time the card was cracked out.

The buyer said before it was sent to me on ebay it was no longer in the slab and Ebay said I still had to accept the return.

They even have a policy under conditions of returned item policy for Art and Collectibles. "item must not be removed from sealed packaging" but still made me accept the return.

Can you tell me what they recommend I can do since the card sold for over $5,000?

i have also been in close contact with Ebay high value department who said I had to accept the return even when card is crack out and advised it may not be the same card as sold since it no longer was in the slab which wasn't even returned to me.

Ebay claims after many many phone calls that GAI is not approved grading company and the buyer has the right to regrade but it didn't say that on "items must not be removed from a sealed package" policy listed under Art and Collectibles.

Has anyone had to accept a return after selling a slab card and buyer cracked it out?

Thank you for your comments

bobbyw8469 11-07-2019 08:45 AM

Ebay sucks. This is totally not right. You did nothing wrong and are going to wind up taking it on the chin due to Ebay's "The buyer is always right" philosophy.

chalupacollects 11-07-2019 09:24 AM

Where does buyer live? If in USA, tell them you are reporting them to FBI fraud unit, file police reports for theft and don't forget to blast them on Blowout website. I would not let this go lightly. Also tell them you will take them to court...

Sometimes a little bit of pushback will help you get your item or money back.

Also recommend pushing yourself higher up the ebay food chain for help...

toolifedave 11-07-2019 09:30 AM

Dear Tim,

Thank you but a card was returned just cracked out so no proof of original, the police and USPS advised they don't handle these issues. I was thinking of writing a letter to Ebay CEO. I was wondering has anyone had this issue before and what the outcome was? Keep in mind I'm the seller.

Leon 11-07-2019 10:21 AM

The first thing to do, if the situation warrants it, is file a police report with your local department. They are the ones that are your first line of defense as that is where you pay taxes, you are in their jurisdiction, and so forth. The officer taking the report, and who probably takes lots of them, can give you a bit of procedural advice depending on the details. On the ebay stuff it sounds like you are up shi# creek :o without a paddle.

AGuinness 11-07-2019 10:24 AM

Dang, that is a bad situation. Sorry that it went south and good luck trying to get it resolved.

Peter_Spaeth 11-07-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1929132)
The first thing to do, if the situation warrants it, is file a police report with your local department. They are the ones that are your first line of defense as that is where you pay taxes, you are in their jurisdiction, and so forth. The officer taking the report, and who probably takes lots of them, can give you a bit of procedural advice depending on the details. On the ebay stuff it sounds like you are up shi# creek :o without a paddle.

He already said the police refused to handle it.

bobbyw8469 11-07-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolifedave (Post 1929124)
Dear Tim,

Thank you but a card was returned just cracked out so no proof of original, the police and USPS advised they don't handle these issues. I was thinking of writing a letter to Ebay CEO. I was wondering has anyone had this issue before and what the outcome was? Keep in mind I'm the seller.

I don't understand. You sold a GAI graded card. You did not get a GAI graded card back. How on earth can Ebay NOT side with you???

Fuddjcal 11-07-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1929111)
Ebay sucks. This is totally not right. You did nothing wrong and are going to wind up taking it on the chin due to Ebay's "The buyer is always right" philosophy.

Just send it in to PSA with Bobby, it will pass eventually. PSA is GAI anyway...

Buythatcard 11-07-2019 10:48 AM

That is total BS. If an item in not returned in the same condition as what you sent it in, then it's on the buyer.

Keep calling eBay until you get someone who understands your situation. Insist on speaking with a higher up. Keep calling until you are satisfied. Most people in customer service working for eBay are clueless on how things work. They do not look outside of the box.

Also, post the Buyers's username so he doesn't try to pull that with anybody else.

Good Luck!

Exhibitman 11-07-2019 10:50 AM

I don't understand this:

"I accidentally hit accepting return but didn't know at the time the card was cracked out."

How was it an 'accident' to accept the return if you did not know the card had been cracked out?

bobbyw8469 11-07-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1929140)
Just send it in to PSA with Bobby, it will pass eventually. PSA is GAI anyway...

You really are truly miserable and probably need to find a new hobby. One that makes you happier.

nsaddict 11-07-2019 10:58 AM

What was the time factor from sell date to return date? Imagine if everyone started doing this. The buyer could never lose only gain. Wtf?

bigfanNY 11-07-2019 11:05 AM

Can the op clarify one thing. He stated that it was in a GAI slab ..What was the grade? My point would be if it had a number grade and PSA said it was altered then I think he should take the return. Unfortunately we live in a new world where cards in slabs with number grades are getting proved altered ALL THE TIME. And I am not a lawyer but it would be very difficult to convince a judge and or jury that it was fraud on buyer when the fact is you sold an altered card on ebay. And dont we want ebay to stand up for us when we buy altered cards on ebay?

Peter_Spaeth 11-07-2019 11:05 AM

Assuming you have the same card back and can sell it again, was the GAI slab really adding much value to it anyhow?

bigfanNY 11-07-2019 11:18 AM

But if the cards value was affected by the number grade say a GAI 8 and is now PSA authentic then there is a big hit to cards value. And I understand if buyer did not try and cross over then card would not have lost value. But if this was a card altered by moser and sold by Brett originally and passed on a few times to an owner who did not know the pedigree. Then cracked for better grade and returned Altered, would anybody be siding with OP?

toolifedave 11-07-2019 12:28 PM

He asked for a return and later after I accepted the return advises
it was cracked out. Ebay high value team advised it didn’t
matter and they would stand by buyers for ebay money back policy.

toolifedave 11-07-2019 12:29 PM

Ebay sides with buyer per money back policy

toolifedave 11-07-2019 12:34 PM

No problem accepting same card in same slab but it was removed from slab.

You can keep card in slab for a crossover.

Reason for return was doesn’t seem authentic but it was
authentic.

toolifedave 11-07-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsaddict (Post 1929145)
What was the time factor from sell date to return date? Imagine if everyone started doing this. The buyer could never lose only gain. Wtf?

About 1 week

jhs5120 11-07-2019 12:36 PM

Try PayPal. I have had success there when eBay was a dead end. Tell PayPal that the buyer broke the item and returned the pieces. Don't explain the whole grading thing, or GAI or PSA. The buyer broke the item, and literally returned the broken plastic pieces.

When you emailed the buyer, he admitted to breaking the item (reference the email to him saying he "cracked" the slab) and try to take that approach.

Best of luck.

toolifedave 11-07-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1929147)
Assuming you have the same card back and can sell it again, was the GAI slab really adding much value to it anyhow?

Great question yes since they offered a number grade.

toolifedave 11-07-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhs5120 (Post 1929181)
Try PayPal. I have had success there when eBay was a dead end. Tell PayPal that the buyer broke the item and returned the pieces. Don't explain the whole grading thing, or GAI or PSA. The buyer broke the item, and literally returned the broken plastic pieces.

When you emailed the buyer, he admitted to breaking the item (reference the email to him saying he"crack" the slab) and try to take that approach.

Best of luck.

Paypal will NOT open a claim if ebay had one. Thank you for the idea
and no slab or plastic pieces were returned. Just a card in PSA open plastic sleve.

jchcollins 11-07-2019 12:44 PM

Seems very odd to me that eBay would deem it “ok” for a buyer to crack a card out of any TPG slab and then claim it’s in the “same condition” for a return. The buyer materially changed what that card was as based on it’s description in your listing. I would find a way to keep fighting that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric72 11-07-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolifedave (Post 1929184)
Paypal will NOT open a claim if ebay had one. Thank you for the idea
and no slab or plastic pieces were returned. Just a card in PSA open plastic sleve.

He received the card, gave it to PSA, got the card back from PSA, and retuned it within one week after buying it from you?

samosa4u 11-07-2019 12:57 PM

How could eBay side with the buyer? He damaged the effing item! This makes no sense to me! Please post this idiot's username so I can block him.

Mark17 11-07-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolifedave (Post 1929105)

He then asked to return claiming it wasn't authentic, but PSA said it was altered and never said it wasn't authentic.

So did PSA put it in a slab with grade: A?

I don't understand why PSA would render an opinion of authentic without slabbing it. And if that is the case, it would seem the card was over-represented in the first place.

Assuming it was the same card, but that can be verified by pictures of the card you sent & the card you received back.

ullmandds 11-07-2019 01:04 PM

Aaaaaaaand what card may this be???

D. Bergin 11-07-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1929187)
He received the card, gave it to PSA, got the card back from PSA, and retuned it within one week after buying it from you?

I was thinking the same thing. :confused:

wondo 11-07-2019 01:14 PM

Dave,

Is the card the 1933 Goudey Gehrig GAI that sold last month? The dollar amount would explain the quick PSA turn around. Not many other high $$$ GAI cards been sold recently (a Ruth, but that one sold by same seller got positiive feedback).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-GOUDEY...p2047675.l2557

bigfanNY 11-07-2019 01:19 PM

Again what about the fact that the card was not as advertised. It was in a case with a grade and later determined to be altered. I hate to think that I am in the minority that thinks if someone sells me an altered card I am not entitled to my money back. I can say 100% if I sold a card that was altered I would offer money back.
I completely understand and agree that the card should have stayed in its case when sent to PSA for crossover. Because it opens up the opportunity for fraud by sending back a different card. But that is not what happened. OP sold a card advertised as as graded (??? I dont know grade OP has not posted grade despite being asked to) and was later determined to be altered.
I also understand that since it is out of the case asking GAI to live up to it's grade is no longer possible. But fact is card was altered and buyer is entitled to refund. Just right thing to do.
Jonathan Sterling

Exhibitman 11-07-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolifedave (Post 1929176)
He asked for a return and later after I accepted the return advises
it was cracked out. Ebay high value team advised it didn’t
matter and they would stand by buyers for ebay money back policy.

Well that f**king sucks.

icurnmedic 11-07-2019 01:27 PM

He sold a GAI graded card! Not a PSA/BGS/SGC graded card. Seems he did the right thing, as far as he knew. Now the original item is Damaged.

Leon 11-07-2019 01:49 PM

There is a difference, at least where I live, in police investigating something or taking a report of it. A report doesn't mean they are doing anything but taking a report to get it on record. They don't have to investigate a report if you tell them you don't need that. Yesterday, I had a Collin County Deputy come to my house to fill out an internet fraud, police report/incident report. They aren't going to investigate it and it's ok. Bank of America (my bank) told me I need to report it for the record. So I did. I spoke a good bit with the deputy about it. He was very accommodating. We love our local law enforcement. I just need a report filed, I told him. He said no problem. I can't imagine the local authorities telling the op he can't even file a report? It is good to file a report regardless. Haven't you ever watched Judge Judy? She is my hero and my write in vote for next president (not getting political, it's a joke).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1929136)
He already said the police refused to handle it.

bobbyw8469 11-07-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1929200)
Again what about the fact that the card was not as advertised. It was in a case with a grade and later determined to be altered. I hate to think that I am in the minority that thinks if someone sells me an altered card I am not entitled to my money back. I can say 100% if I sold a card that was altered I would offer money back.
I completely understand and agree that the card should have stayed in its case when sent to PSA for crossover. Because it opens up the opportunity for fraud by sending back a different card. But that is not what happened. OP sold a card advertised as as graded (??? I dont know grade OP has not posted grade despite being asked to) and was later determined to be altered.
I also understand that since it is out of the case asking GAI to live up to it's grade is no longer possible. But fact is card was altered and buyer is entitled to refund. Just right thing to do.
Jonathan Sterling

The buyer was gambling. He wanted to turn a GAI card into a PSA goldmine. Now the seller doesn't even get the GAI graded card back. This is a horrible situation and makes me NEVER WANT TO SELL A GAI CARD ON EBAY!!!! The buyer has everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Peter_Spaeth 11-07-2019 01:57 PM

Very early GAI grade -- the ones that are supposed to be legit.

Question for the seller -- did you have either SGC or PSA review before you listed, at any point, and if not why not?

toolifedave 11-07-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1929186)
Seems very odd to me that eBay would deem it “ok” for a buyer to crack a card out of any TPG slab and then claim it’s in the “same condition” for a return. The buyer materially changed what that card was as based on it’s description in your listing. I would find a way to keep fighting that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about sending a letter to Ebay CEO and let him know what is happening.

Ebay has closed the case from their end.

toolifedave 11-07-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1929187)

Sent back to me unslabbed by PSA since they said the card was altered and I guess the buyer didn't want it slabbed authentic

toolifedave 11-07-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wondo (Post 1929199)
Dave,

Is the card the 1933 Goudey Gehrig GAI that sold last month? The dollar amount would explain the quick PSA turn around. Not many other high $$$ GAI cards been sold recently (a Ruth, but that one sold by same seller got positiive feedback).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-GOUDEY...p2047675.l2557

yes

samosa4u 11-07-2019 02:06 PM

This is getting interesting. It looks like the guy who won this card has a very big feedback. He might be well known in the hobby.

perezfan 11-07-2019 02:08 PM

I'd trust the early GAI grade over the "PSA Goldmine" opinion any day of the week.

Seller got completely screwed, IMO. Once the buyer cracked it out, it should've been deemed non-returnable. Such a shame, and typical eBay to automatically side with the buyer. Their dumb "blanket policies" should not always apply in the collectibles arena. :mad:

toolifedave 11-07-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1929200)
Jonathan Sterling

John, You make a good point. The reason for the return was the card wasn't authentic which is no true it is authentic. The buyer paid lower then market value due to GAI holder and wanted to cross over to PSA. He could have gotten authentic if he wanted but didn't and he could have crossover in slab but again didn't. I bought the original GAI card on Ebay many years ago and even had a screenshot of the sale for Ebay and buyer to see since at one point he thought I alerted the card which isn't true. We all know buying an GAI card has its risks but I didn't think a card can be sold on ebay then slab open an a "card" returned. The question is can a buyer open a slab and then return an unslabbed card for any reason. Maybe another buyers gets SGC graded card on EBay not happy sends to PSA to get a higher grade but they don't grade higher and decides to return unslabed card.

Bigdaddy 11-07-2019 02:16 PM

What if this was an autographed T206 that had been authenticated by one of the TPGs, but was then broken out and resubmitted only to come back as 'likely not authentic'?

Would that change anything? Seems like the same scenario to me.

toolifedave 11-07-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1929231)
I'd trust the early GAI grade over the "PSA Goldmine" opinion any day of the week.

Seller got completely screwed, IMO. Once the buyer cracked it out, it should've been deemed non-returnable. Such a shame, and typical eBay to automatically side with the buyer. Their dumb "blanket policies" should not always apply in the collectibles arena. :mad:

Ebay has a policy for art and collectibles that states a "items must not be removed from a sealed packaging" I find it interesting no one has stated they have returned a cracked open slab as a buyer or selling or even had or know anyone that had this happen too.

Peter_Spaeth 11-07-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1929231)

Whether the seller got screwed, to me, somewhat depends whether the card had previously been reviewed by PSA or SGC, which I've asked the OP but he hasn't answered yet.

Eric72 11-07-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolifedave (Post 1929227)
Sent back to me unslabbed by PSA since they said the card was altered and I guess the buyer didn't want it slabbed authentic

PSA sent the card back to you?

irishdenny 11-07-2019 02:41 PM

The Moment He Cracked the Card form it's GAI Slab, He Owned the Card!
He Told PSA So when he Sent it to them Out of the Slab and w/o Your Permission as the 3rd party.
He then Lied to You and Ebay by Not Telling He Removed the Card From it's Sealed Package and He did this in order to get Ebay's Aid!

From PSA's Submission Form:

12. If any cards are being submitted for a third
party, Customer represents and warrants that
such third party has agreed and accepted this
Agreement and has signed a duplicate copy
hereof where indicated. Customer agrees to provide that third party-signed copy to PSA at anytime upon its request.

He Could of just left it in the Slab when he Sent it to PSA as a "Review",
i do imagine that the Buyer wanted to See What PSA thoughts were with the Card Out of the GAI Holder... Only because The Buyer Assumed that Every TPG had Seen the Card in it's GAI Slab Already!

Please tell us who "The Cracker" is?
I wouldn't want him to do this to another!

This is Just Wrong in So Many Ways...

toolifedave 11-07-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 1929191)
So did PSA put it in a slab with grade: A?

I don't understand why PSA would render an opinion of authentic without slabbing it. And if that is the case, it would seem the card was over-represented in the first place.

Assuming it was the same card, but that can be verified by pictures of the card you sent & the card you received back.

PSA didn't slab the card and said it was altered but my guess is the buyer didn't want it slabbed unless given a number grade.

toolifedave 11-07-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1929242)
Whether the seller got screwed, to me, somewhat depends whether the card had previously been reviewed by PSA or SGC, which I've asked the OP but he hasn't answered yet.

The buyer gave the card to PSA and they returned it unslabbed.

toolifedave 11-07-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1929245)
PSA sent the card back to you?

Buyer had PSA grade the card, and returned to me unslabbed since PSA didn't give a number grade as buyer wanted.