Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dallas Card Show - Fake Slabs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=313811)

parkplace33 01-18-2022 12:40 PM

Dallas Card Show - Fake Slabs

Interesting video coming out of the Dallas Card Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCIIsbYpGU

I know these are modern cards, but I am concerned that vintage could be next. Anyone ever seen a card in a fake slab?

vintagetoppsguy 01-18-2022 12:55 PM

I hope they go to prison and get butt-raped every day.

JustinD 01-18-2022 12:56 PM

Many, many, many times.

Foo3112 01-18-2022 12:56 PM

Every hobby which involves big money has issues like these. It's very unfortunate that it happens to begin with, but the reality is that it's out there and it's best to educate yourself on whatever hobby it is that one is involved in. With cards, I only stick to purchasing that have the newer PSA labels. I'm not saying that those can't be reproduced, but it just seems harder (more work) for someone to try and reproduce versus the older looking flips as the ones shown in this video. I have missed out on buying some cards that I really wanted because of that but that is my security net when making my purchases.

Exhibitman 01-18-2022 01:09 PM

My understanding from other videos is that the MBA stickers were legitimate and that the guy who got arrested was freed 20 minutes later.

philo98 01-18-2022 01:19 PM

Having lived in Asia for decades, counterfeits are everywhere, and as you know China dominates in this category. In fact, there is generally a 1-10 scale given on how good the fake is. China fakes everything and has really started to increase their fakes on sportscards and Pokeman, etc especially with the way the collectibles market is today. Most likely, the flood of these fakes into the US has just begun.

Whenever I am in China, I only buy from very few suppliers, include grocery stores I go to. This is a country that has fake lettuce, fake eggs, fake contact lens solution, fake cars, fake iphones etc etc. Not only do they fake the iphone, but there are also fake Apple stores which can be extremely difficult to tell if its one of the high quality fakes. The fakes that are very high quality, even the experts cannot tell the difference between what is real and not real.

Eric72 01-18-2022 01:21 PM

Great. PSA graded lettuce.

Rich Klein 01-18-2022 01:32 PM

Ryan Nolan (and yes that's his name) has also authored a book on card fakes which has sold remarkably well. A really good young man and he travels to a lot of shows so he is aware of these issues more than 99 percent of us on this board.

https://www.amazon.com/Spotting-Fake.../dp/B09MYST97Q

Link to his book. As noted it's sold enough that he is out of his personal allotment.

Rich

D. Bergin 01-18-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2186875)
I hope they go to prison and get butt-raped every day.

Nevermind. Never meant to offend. Just commenting on those types of statements being thrown around, and the weird logic of it.

ezez420 01-18-2022 02:36 PM

I find it a real shame that some greedy people got screwed. The problem is that lots of these people entering into the hobby have no clue what they are doing and think the easy $$$. They want to do Zero work and collect $. Well sorry to say this is what happens.

When some of us have worked hard to try to help. Maybe something like this will open up some eyes. And some people will discover they actually do have fake Goudeys and of the likes in their collections.

It’s been in vintage for years. Do you not remember the guy from San Diego/Mexico. Take a few minutes and read about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 01-18-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezez420 (Post 2186915)
I find it a real shame that some greedy people got screwed. The problem is that lots of these people entering into the hobby have no clue what they are doing and think the easy $$$. They want to do Zero work and collect $. Well sorry to say this is what happens.

When some of us have worked hard to try to help. Maybe something like this will open up some eyes. And some people will discover they actually do have fake Goudeys and of the likes in their collections.

It’s been in vintage for years. Do you not remember the guy from San Diego/Mexico. Take a few minutes and read about it.

Early on it was pretty clear "Copperfield" (the Mexican guy) was very expertly opening slabs, generating his own flips, and inserting cards. There was some disagreement over whether he eventually moved on to having slabs fabricated in China or elsewhere. I don't know for sure if the FBI eventually was able to find him or at least get close enough that he stopped his operation. His "mules" mostly operated out of Southern California but if I recall correctly there was one in Denver as well. A lot of the cards infiltrated the hobby and probably are still out there to some extent. Not surprisingly, Joe O was pretty tight-lipped about the whole thing and PSA did not really provide any guidance on what to look for.

atx840 01-18-2022 02:54 PM

Rape of anyone is not funny or acceptable.

swarmee 01-18-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2186880)
My understanding from other videos is that the MBA stickers were legitimate and that the guy who got arrested was freed 20 minutes later.

A follow up video posted on blowout said that the stickers were printed silver instead of foil coating, so they are counterfeit labels. One video said Mike Baker was consulted and answered he did not review the Jordan rookies. Maybe a real news story will come out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCIIsbYpGU

Peter_Spaeth 01-18-2022 03:28 PM

Who cares about a MBA sticker anyhow?

bnorth 01-18-2022 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philo98 (Post 2186885)
Having lived in Asia for decades, counterfeits are everywhere, and as you know China dominates in this category. In fact, there is generally a 1-10 scale given on how good the fake is. China fakes everything and has really started to increase their fakes on sportscards and Pokeman, etc especially with the way the collectibles market is today. Most likely, the flood of these fakes into the US has just begun.

Whenever I am in China, I only buy from very few suppliers, include grocery stores I go to. This is a country that has fake lettuce, fake eggs, fake contact lens solution, fake cars, fake iphones etc etc. Not only do they fake the iphone, but there are also fake Apple stores which can be extremely difficult to tell if its one of the high quality fakes. The fakes that are very high quality, even the experts cannot tell the difference between what is real and not real.

It is crazy but yes almost everything in China is faked. When you go to Beijing you take 2 large suitcases. One, half full of clothes for the trip and the other 1 1/2 full of gifts for family. I know several computers/electronics have made one way trips over the last 20+ years. Then the suitcases come back full of moon cakes and other food items we can't get out in the middle of nowhere USA.

Fake slabs have been around for a very long time and many have been coming from Asia for years.

Johnny630 01-18-2022 04:21 PM

The good thing about the Dallas show is mask aren’t mandatory makes it easier to describe the suspect/perps.

Tao_Moko 01-18-2022 05:57 PM

What in the hell is a MBA sticker? Oh nevermind. I'm going back to my mid grade vintage world of raw fat bordered cards. They don't have stickers.

swarmee 01-18-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2186932)
Who cares about a MBA sticker anyhow?

Since every company (even brand new ones) cost a minimum of $30ish per card with months long turnaround times, stuff like this is attempting to fill the gaps.
There's a buyer for everything in this Base Card World we live in.

butchie_t 01-18-2022 06:56 PM

Ugh,

It is getting to a point, probably passed the point now where you cannot trust anything in a PSA slab (except maybe lettuce). PSA may very well be the leader today, but if crap like this continues, their rep will be the one that gets the booty call from up above.

Lorewalker 01-18-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2187001)
Ugh,

It is getting to a point, probably passed the point now where you cannot trust anything in a PSA slab (except maybe lettuce). PSA may very well be the leader today, but if crap like this continues, their rep will be the one that gets the booty call from up above.

Now we...well everyone but snowman...have to look for altered cards in holders and possibly determine if the holders themselves are fake. Collecting feels more like shoveling snow than a hobby.

Eric72 01-18-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2187003)
Now we...well everyone but snowman...have to look for altered cards in holders and possibly determine if the holders themselves are fake. Collecting feels more like shoveling snow than a hobby.

When getting graded material, I always examine the card and the slab. I've been doing this for years.

Shortly after joining this board, I read about the fake slabs presumably coming out of Mexico. It seemed serious enough that I added the extra inspection step when buying anything graded. I guess the vigilance has stuck with me to this day.

Belfast1933 01-19-2022 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 2186921)

Right?? Take it down a notch, guys. 🤦*♂️

Exhibitman 01-19-2022 07:16 AM

Quote:

True, but a fitting outcome for child molesters and rapists (ironically), or so says Sublime

"Date Rape"

Let me tell you about a girl I know,
Had a drink about an hour ago.
Sitting in a corner by herself,
In a bar in downtown Hell.

She heard a noise and she looked through the door.
And saw a man she'd never seen before.
Light skin, light blue eyes,
A double-chin and a plastic smile.

Well, her heart raced as he walked in the door
And took an empty seat next to her at the bar.
"My brand new car is parked right outside.
How'd ya like to go for a ride?"

And she said, "Wait a minute I have to think."
He said, "That's fine. May I please buy you a drink."
One drink turned into 3 or 4
And they left and got into his car
And they drove away someplace real far.

Now babe the time has come.
How'd ya like to have a little fun?
And she said, "If we could only please be on our way, I would not run."

That's when things got out of control.
She didn't want to, he had his way.
She said, "Let's go."
He said, "No way!"

Come on, babe, it's your lucky day.
Shut your mouth, we're gonna do it my way.
Come on, baby, don't be afraid,
If it wasn't for date rape I'd never get laid.

He finished up and he started the car
He turned around and drove back to the bar.
He said, "Now, baby, don't be sad.
In my opinion you weren't half-bad."

She picked up a rock, threw it at the car,
Hit him in the head, now he's got a big scar.
Come on party people won't you listen to me.
Date rape stylee

The next day she went to her drawer,
Looked up her local attorney at law,
Went to the phone and filed the police report
And then she took the guy's ass to court.

Well, the day he stood in front of the judge
He screamed, "She lies that little slut!"
The judge knew that he was full of shit
And he gave him 25 years
And now his heart is filled with tears.

One night in jail it was getting late.
He was butt-raped by a large inmate, and he screamed.
But the guards paid no attention to his cries.

That's when things got out of control.
The moral of the date rape story,
It does not pay to be drunk and horny.
But that's the way it had to be.
They locked him up and threw away the key.
Well, I can't take pity on men of his kind,
Even though he now takes it in the behind.

But that's the way it had to be.
They locked him up and threw away the key.
Well, I can't take pity on men of his kind,
Even though he now takes it in the behind.
Date rape!

She didn't want to
She didn't want to
She didn't want to
She didn't want to take it!

parkplace33 01-19-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2187014)
When getting graded material, I always examine the card and the slab. I've been doing this for years.

Shortly after joining this board, I read about the fake slabs presumably coming out of Mexico. It seemed serious enough that I added the extra inspection step when buying anything graded. I guess the vigilance has stuck with me to this day.

Eric, glad you investigate, but I am not sure the modern flipper is doing this. I think they think once it is in a slab, who cares, it is plastic gold.

Eric72 01-19-2022 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2187134)
Eric, glad you investigate, but I am not sure the modern flipper is doing this. I think they think once it is in a slab, who cares, it is plastic gold.

Agreed. The relative newcomer is likely not looking too far past the flip...and maybe the centering/eye appeal of the card.

conor912 01-19-2022 02:52 PM

ezez420 01-19-2022 04:20 PM

Well the modern flipper should actually do some work and learn. Too many people want to be spoon fed. They expect you to do all the work for them and take all the risk for them.

Honestly serves these guys right. And then to go blame Baker. Give me a break. Just like the fake Pokémon box that was bought for $75k.

If this happened to one of the old timers on this board or experienced person I’d feel bad.

FrankWakefield 01-19-2022 05:23 PM

David, Justin, Adam.... you guys shouldn't post crap like that. Jeff and Chris are right.

The crap you guys have posted leaves me a bit ashamed of the board. You guys can do better.

In the old days I'd spend an hour posting something/anything in 35 different threads to move this one to the second page, out of sight, out of mind, oblivion. The thread doesn't deserve that fate, it deserves attention. And you guys have made it something that the board will be ashamed of in future years. I could ask Leon to lock it, but that's not a good result. Vent at me if you want, but post as if you're a bit more mature and better, please.

Exhibitman 01-19-2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2187268)
David, Justin, Adam.... you guys shouldn't post crap like that. Jeff and Chris are right.

The crap you guys have posted leaves me a bit ashamed of the board. You guys can do better.

In the old days I'd spend an hour posting something/anything in 35 different threads to move this one to the second page, out of sight, out of mind, oblivion. The thread doesn't deserve that fate, it deserves attention. And you guys have made it something that the board will be ashamed of in future years. I could ask Leon to lock it, but that's not a good result. Vent at me if you want, but post as if you're a bit more mature and better, please.

Mature? Dude, we play with baseball cards. Quit pearl-clutching.

bbcard1 01-19-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2187282)
Mature? Dude, we play with baseball cards. Quit pearl-clutching.

The Sublime Lyric everyone on this board can relate to:

Early in the morning, risin' to the street
Light me up that cigarette and I'll strap shoes on my feet
Got to find the reason, reason things went wrong
Got to find a reason why my money's all gone (it's baseball cards)

vintagetoppsguy 01-20-2022 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I didn't say it was funny, but I certainly find it acceptable. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are to yours. And while we're on the subject, here is another piece of trash that needs to be butt-raped every day in prison. And after a couple of years of that, I hope another prisoner shanks him...or do you find shanking a career criminal with a lengthy rap sheet that killed a young college student (Brianna Kupfer) not acceptable either?

Leon 01-20-2022 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2187406)
I didn't say it was funny, but I certainly find it acceptable. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are to yours. And while we're on the subject, here is another piece of trash that needs to be butt-raped every day in prison. And after a couple of years of that, I hope another prisoner shanks him...or do you find shanking a career criminal with a lengthy rap sheet that killed a young college student (Brianna Kupfer) not acceptable either?

David....actually no you are not entitled to say those things on this forum. I already had one PM recently concerning your language about rape. No mas...

chriskim 01-20-2022 06:48 AM

so we will need a verification company to verify graded cards? BBCE is ahead of the market and already doing that, they put another BBCE wrap on an already factory wrapped modern boxes.... they call it "Modern Authentication". (I am not kidding)

https://www.bbcexchange.com/modern-authentication

Belfast1933 01-20-2022 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2187408)
David....actually no you are not entitled to say those things on this forum. I already had one PM recently concerning your language about rape. No mas...

Thanks Leon… on behalf of the 99% of us here to enjoy this hobby, to learn from each other, to enjoy baseball, etc. we appreciate you helping to shut this crap down.

We have your back as you have ours as well. (Too bad - the OG content here is really quite helpful for us as collectors)

Thanks again to you and the other board members - with the occasional exception like this, you all have a site to be really proud of!

Jeff

Dead-Ball-Hitter 01-20-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2187406)
I didn't say it was funny, but I certainly find it acceptable. I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are to yours.

Enough of the rape talk David... that's not what we come here to discuss. I don't want an unpleasant exchange, but this is going too far.

benge610 01-20-2022 10:09 AM

To quote a respected admin (peasant/forum owner):

"No mas..."

Thank you Leon.
I speak for myself; this forum provides a wealth of knowledge for yours truly; info in this thread is invaluable for me to build with; my cranium fills with experience beyond my collecting life.

Yes, I have the ability to scroll on but feel I may miss value. Thank you for maintaining sanity within my collecting mind.

Ben
"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

bnorth 01-20-2022 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter (Post 2187476)
Enough of the rape talk David... that's not what we come here to discuss. I don't want an unpleasant exchange, but this is going too far.

Unfortunately he had done it and worse many many times over the years.:(

vintagetoppsguy 01-20-2022 10:20 AM

Leon said what he had to say, I respect that and will honor his wishes. There is no need to continue to pile on.

If anyone has anything else to say about that specific matter, PM me directly.

Let the thread get back on track.

benge610 01-20-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 2187481)
Leon said what he had to say, I respect that and will honor his wishes. There is no need to continue to pile on.

If anyone has anything else to say about that specific matter, PM me directly.

Let the thread get back on track.

Thank you David.
Respect.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Rich Klein 01-20-2022 10:41 AM

To put this thread back into what we should be discussing: -- Ryan of Breakout Cards did a great follow-up which he released yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYXDVQA2eA

Leon 01-20-2022 10:45 AM

I especially liked Kyle getting on the table? to take charge. Go Kyle!

benge610 01-20-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2187488)
To put this thread back into what we should be discussing: -- Ryan of Breakout Cards did a great follow-up which he released yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYXDVQA2eA

Thank you Rich for posting the "Part 2" follow up to Ryan's original, thread starter vid. Much appreciated.

Carter08 01-20-2022 10:58 AM

The name Ryan Nolan screws with my brain a little. Awesome videos though.

Rich Klein 01-20-2022 11:44 AM

That is his real name. His dad, who reads this board, is still a BB Card Collector and as you can see has the last name of Nolan.

So he named his son Ryan and yes I had the same reaction the first time we ever communicated via of all social media forms. Linked In

Rich

Rich Klein 01-20-2022 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2187493)
I especially liked Kyle getting on the table? to take charge. Go Kyle!

Leon:

I thought that was Ruben who took charge and I do agree with you, he did absolutely the right thing. Ruben, as with everyone I deal with at the DCS, is really good at caring about the show going well.

In March, my wife was having a rough day and needed me to pick up some emergency stuff for her (thankfully it was just a blip) and the DCS people had someone at my table in less than 5 minutes so I could take care of business

Rich

Yoda 01-20-2022 11:54 AM

Leon, very appropriate shutdown. Some similar comments made were one of the reasons I finally pulled the plug on the Full Count board. We don't want you to do the same; Net 54 is our lifeline.

Rich Klein 01-20-2022 12:06 PM

John:

I remember those Full Count days, lord I could barely read the board.

Rich

Leon 01-20-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Klein (Post 2187505)
Leon:

I thought that was Ruben who took charge and I do agree with you, he did absolutely the right thing. Ruben, as with everyone I deal with at the DCS, is really good at caring about the show going well.

In March, my wife was having a rough day and needed me to pick up some emergency stuff for her (thankfully it was just a blip) and the DCS people had someone at my table in less than 5 minutes so I could take care of business

Rich

Looks like Kyle to me. Or his brother....which he either doesn't have or wasn't there.

and if it is Ruben, he looks like Kyle.

Bcwcardz 01-20-2022 02:48 PM

I’ve been watching some of these videos. It seems that it’s the same people flipping the same cards to each other. They have no idea what they’ve sold in the past. I guess this is why I don’t go to card shows.

lowpopper 01-21-2022 11:33 AM

I want to try the fake lettuce.