Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Psa question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265718)

mybestbretts 02-13-2019 05:06 AM

Psa question

I have never had very good luck with PSA. Lost items twice for months.
Lately having to send things back for a reholder. Need your opinion on
this one.

I sent in a 1981 Donruss Promo or test panel to be graded. This particular one
has never been graded because PSA didn't have a holder for it. It is approximately 10 1/2 x 4 3/4. Yesterday I got my grades and they have
labeled it a 1981 Donruss test panel. It should be labeled a Jumbo or large panel .

Now here is my question. The panel was graded a psa 7. How do I know
if this panel was graded down because they thought it should have been
a different size? My other 2 graded a 9 so it is a real question. It also
makes me wonder what is going on at PSA these days.

I sent this in on an 8 day express and of course that didn't happen and now
this. The last reholder took a month.
I really feel this should be regraded, don't know how to get that done.

Hxcmilkshake 02-13-2019 07:10 AM

They have a re-review process right? I think its like $20 and they will take another look?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

swarmee 02-14-2019 03:43 PM

If they thought it should be a different size, it wouldn't have gotten a grade at all.
If you think they labeled it wrong, then you can contact their customer service and if they agree with you, you can send it back and they'll reholder it free as a mechanical error.

Yastrzemski Sports 02-15-2019 12:52 AM

On something like a panel a 7 is a pretty fantastic grade. A 9 is exceptional. Hard to say without seeing it. But an item could easily be graded for a very slight corner issue, light surface scratches, print defects, etc. just because the first 2 got a 9 doesn’t mean every one will.

mybestbretts 02-16-2019 08:24 AM

Psa question

2 Attachment(s)
ok, I HAVE RECEIVED THE PANEL BACK AND ATTACHED PHOTOS.
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THEY GRADED THIS. THE CERTIFICATE NO. IS FOR A REGULAR PANEL NOT A JUMBO. IF YOU LOOK AT THE POPULATION REPORT
THEY SHOW A JUMBO SINGLE CARD. THE REGULAR PANEL AND THE MINI PANEL. AS I MENTIONED, THEY HAVE NEVER GRADED A JUMBO BEFORE.
THE LAST ORDER I SENT IN HAD THREE PANELS ALIKE AND ONE HAD TO BE SENT BACK FOR A REHOLDER. THIS IS TOTALLY NOT RIGHT AND LEAVES ME NOT CONFIDENCE IN THE GRADING. SORRY.

swarmee 02-16-2019 01:03 PM

Are you saying Jumbo because the individual cards are larger than 3.5"x2.5"? I'm trying to figure out your point, because you are not being clear.
A panel is a panel. And they graded it for you. But you aren't really making any sense, and it's coming off as sour grapes.
Maybe press your Caps Lock button once, take a deep breath, and attempt to explain why you're unhappy.

mybestbretts 02-16-2019 02:39 PM

Psa uestion

Sorry that I am not making myself clear … No Sour grapes

This from a catalog … When it became apparent in 1980 that Topps monopoly on baseball card production was going to end by the courts. Donruss began work to produce a card set for 1981. As part of its research, Donruss created a 3 card prototype panel in 3 different sizes. I believe these were only sent to dealers. The small panel was 6 x 2-3/4, the regular panel about 7 1/2-3 1/2 and the 3rd one about 10 1/2 x 4 3/4. On the panels were George Brett and Reggie Jackson. A single card of the large(jumbo) panel has been graded by PSA as has the regular panel and small panels have been graded by PSA in the past, but not the large or Jumbo panel because PSA did not have a holder.
The panel I sent in is the Large(jumbo) which has not been graded in the past,
however certification number on mine is for a regular panel of which the holder shows. By the way, I did tell them this was the large/Jumbo.
I hope that helps you understand. This panel is not 7 1/2 x 3 1/2, it is 10 1/2 by 4 3/4 but shows up in the population report as the first. Now my question is what did they grade it against and could the grade be incorrect since it obviously would be oversized if compared to the regular panel

mybestbretts 02-16-2019 02:45 PM

Psa question

By the way, patience and kindness is a virtue

swarmee 02-16-2019 03:01 PM

Thanks; that is more clear. Send that in an email to their staff and have them reholder it for free as a mechanical error, as I wrote before. This will not change the grade, just the set information. They have graded it a NM 7. If they thought it was oversized or short for the issue, they would have given it an Authentic grade instead.

Yastrzemski Sports 02-16-2019 05:18 PM

Thanks for the knowledge. I didn’t know that much about the Donruss proofs.

It was graded a 7 according to their standards. It didn’t matter that it was bigger or smaller. No one can say why it came back a 7 because they had it in front of them and we don’t. Noce stuff. Been kept in great shape.

Hxcmilkshake 02-16-2019 05:36 PM

Yeah very cool piece

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mybestbretts 02-17-2019 08:44 AM

psa question

Thank you