Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Everyone: Keep A Good Thought... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=212401)

clydepepper 10-05-2015 05:47 PM

Everyone: Keep A Good Thought...

for someone who is battling a tough opponent at the most inopportune time:

Mr. C.C. Sabathia has his priorities straight...saving his life and his family relationships carry more heft than even the New York Yankees.

I applaud his bravery and integrity and wish him all the best...

rsn1661 10-05-2015 08:39 PM

Have to agree with you. He has his priorities right.

chaddurbin 10-06-2015 09:19 AM

i feel sorry for mr multi-millionaire who abuses in excess...yea yea it's a disease, whatever. this is a guy who even at his absolute peak was always undisciplined.

clydepepper 10-06-2015 10:08 AM

Classy response, Chad

chaddurbin 10-06-2015 09:22 PM

yea, a guy gets drunk during his work time...encouraging his fellow coworker to take a sip, and i'm the one that needs class. the yankees prolly told him to hit rehab since he wasn't going to be on the playoffs roster anyway.

Peter_Spaeth 10-07-2015 04:15 PM

By all accounts, he has always been a great guy, unlike so many of the jerks that populate sports these days. I hope he beats whatever his demon is.

pokerplyr80 10-07-2015 08:18 PM

I have to agree with Chad on this one. If he really had his priorities straight he would have sought help in the off season and been there with his teammates trying to win a world series.

Peter_Spaeth 10-08-2015 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1459634)
I have to agree with Chad on this one. If he really had his priorities straight he would have sought help in the off season and been there with his teammates trying to win a world series.

Maybe his problems surfaced only recently? Maybe they were under control? Maybe -- probably -- there are things we don't know about. Who here knows enough about his situation to sit in judgment of him?

1952boyntoncollector 10-08-2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1459634)

Judging how he pitched this year,,he was helping them by not pitching in the postseason.....

pokerplyr80 10-08-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1459675)
Maybe his problems surfaced only recently? Maybe they were under control? Maybe -- probably -- there are things we don't know about. Who here knows enough about his situation to sit in judgment of him?

A problem this severe typically doesn't happen over night and has probably been going on for years in various stages. I wish him the best and hope he gets the help he needs. If he did just fall off the wagon again the timing certainly is unfortunate.

However, I feel a professional athlete making millions of dollars per year should be held to a higher standard. It would have shown a lot more integrity and bravery to handle this during the off season. But better late than never.

Econteachert205 10-08-2015 02:44 PM

I think it's possible to wish him well and criticize his irresponsibility toward his job and teammates at the same time.

Peter_Spaeth 10-08-2015 04:18 PM

It often takes an extreme situation for an alcoholic or other addict to realize he or she has a problem. That is part of the whole syndrome. I give him credit for stepping forward and would not presume to criticize him.

clydepepper 10-08-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1459836)
It often takes an extreme situation for an alcoholic or other addict to realize he or she has a problem. That is part of the whole syndrome. I give him credit for stepping forward and would not presume to criticize him.

Well said - That's exactly what I meant! I'm kind of going through the same thing right now albeit on a much smaller stage...which allows me to be braver than one would expect someone to be on that larger stage.

chaddurbin 10-08-2015 10:07 PM

imo it's not by his choice to enter rehab 1 day before the playoffs start, i guess that's where my view differ...wasn't some courageous realization or by his choosing. but we'll never know the real truth anyways so not worth it to speculate. you guys can prop him up anyway you want to fit your narrative.