Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1988 Topps Bob Sebra ---- En Fuego variation (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=307395)

butchie_t 09-02-2021 02:48 PM

1988 Topps Bob Sebra ---- En Fuego variation

1 Attachment(s)
Counting my 1988 topps baseball set, I came across this card of Bob Sebra. I have searched a number of sites over the passed few weeks to see if this was somewhat more common than not. To date, I have not found another like it.

So without further adoo. Mr. Bob Sebra is En Fuego.

Anyone else have this print variation?

Cliff Bowman 09-02-2021 05:00 PM

I remember watching a Cubs-Expos game on WGN in 1987 where Sebra outpitched a young Greg Maddux but Jerry Mumphrey hit a ninth inning home run off of a distraught Sebra and the Cubs won 1-0. I imagine it was the first career shutout for Maddux. I found the game on Baseball Reference, Sebra gave up three hits and had fourteen strikeouts.

hockeyhockey 09-02-2021 05:14 PM

that's an awesome card

butchie_t 09-02-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 2141042)
I remember watching a Cubs-Expos game on WGN in 1987 where Sebra outpitched a young Greg Maddux but Jerry Mumphrey hit a ninth inning home run off of a distraught Sebra and the Cubs won 1-0. I imagine it was the first career shutout for Maddux. I found the game on Baseball Reference, Sebra gave up three hits and had fourteen strikeouts.

Found some interesting facts about Sebra:

In 1986, Sebra was the last pitcher ever to give up a walk-off win where the winning run was scored by the other team's manager. (Pete Rose)

Included among Sebra’s MLB highlights are 2 shutouts, a 1-0 and a 2-0, accomplished while with Montreal.

And a sad one:

Sebra died at the age of 58 on July 22, 2020, after spending a year in intensive care in Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida, as a result of multiple organ failure. He had undergone a liver transplant several years earlier.

Too young….

butchie_t 09-02-2021 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyhockey (Post 2141050)
that's an awesome card

Thanks, I’ll be looking for another one now. We’ll see if lightning strikes again.

dealme 09-07-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2141081)
Found some interesting facts about Sebra:

In 1986, Sebra was the last pitcher ever to give up a walk-off win where the winning run was scored by the other team's manager. (Pete Rose)

Included among Sebra’s MLB highlights are 2 shutouts, a 1-0 and a 2-0, accomplished while with Montreal.

And a sad one:

Sebra died at the age of 58 on July 22, 2020, after spending a year in intensive care in Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida, as a result of multiple organ failure. He had undergone a liver transplant several years earlier.

Too young….

I remember him pitching for Indianapolis when they were the Expos AAA affiliate. This post brings back good memories...sad to hear of his untimely passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saucywombat 09-28-2021 09:26 PM

Checked the archives and no luck for me. Nothing doing with my '88 Topps Sebras.

butchie_t 09-29-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywombat (Post 2149078)
Checked the archives and no luck for me. Nothing doing with my '88 Topps Sebras.

I have been searching ever since I found this one. To date, a big fat 0 on the finding of a second one.

Rich Klein 10-03-2021 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2149161)
I have been searching ever since I found this one. To date, a big fat 0 on the finding of a second one.

I checked the COMC data base to see if we ever had any and whilst not a big sample size we have never had the "En Fuego" card

Rich