Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Legendary auction this week--how many afraid to bid? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206760)

GregMitch34 06-01-2015 04:59 PM

Legendary auction this week--how many afraid to bid?

Been a number of comments from folks opposed to bidding on principle--or saying they are afraid they will win something and the auction house will go under before they get the goods. How many are in these camps? Actually a big gamble to bid now? Or not? I have no opinion myself nor much experience with Legendary.

Leon 06-01-2015 05:03 PM

I might respond later I just want to remind everyone of the main rule on the board, which has to do with voicing pretty much any opinion you want to concerning a company or person. However, as always, Your full name needs to be in your post or easily obtained from your post (sig line, website etc...). And if you say you won't bid, or will bid, that is an opinion ...thanks

pawpawdiv9 06-01-2015 05:04 PM

had no problems last time, and got a really cool Cobb at a great price.
I had wanted a few items but got outbidded, so not worried at all.

Rob D. 06-01-2015 05:17 PM

No second thoughts at all about placing bids with Legendary. Fun little auction with something for everyone.

R0b D3wolf

wonkaticket 06-01-2015 05:19 PM

I wouldn't be to concerned but at the same time this auction is so light in terms of quality items that bidding and getting items isn't a concern. Then add in that I'm not keen to give them business after all the drama. Plenty of other folks I can give money too....they wont be missed by me.

conor912 06-01-2015 06:13 PM

I must have missed something....Legendary's caput?

bcbgcbrcb 06-01-2015 06:50 PM

No one seems to be afraid to bid on the '51 Bowman Mays RC, which is the one item that I was considering going after. Looks like the final hammer price could be a new record for that card in that condition. As mentioned previously, all the talk about boycotting the Legendary Auctions but when it comes down to it, material trumps all, just as I always believed...........

jefferyepayne 06-01-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 1417163)
No one seems to be afraid to bid on the '51 Bowman Mays RC, which is the one item that I was considering going after. Looks like the final hammer price could be a new record for that card in that condition. As mentioned previously, all the talk about boycotting the Legendary Auctions but when it comes down to it, material trumps all, just as I always believed...........

Maybe for you and others, Phil, but not for me. I don't do business with convicts and haven't even bothered to look at their items in years.

Material doesn't trump all for everybody ... time to stand up for the hobby. Who will join me?

jeff

Rob D. 06-01-2015 07:47 PM

I admire your advocacy, Jeff.

earlywynnfan 06-01-2015 08:06 PM

I like the stance, but aren't the convicts gone from Legendary? I don't even know who's still there.

ullmandds 06-01-2015 08:33 PM

not sure if its because Ive become less active...but I havent bid on a legendary auction since I won my f&m ruth a bunch of years ago...I wouldn't be surprised If I were shilled by the house.

There are a few houses I will not deal with...and if a card came up that I needed from one of these houses...maybe I'd have a friend bid for me!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1417172)
Maybe for you and others, Phil, but not for me. I don't do business with convicts and haven't even bothered to look at their items in years.

Material doesn't trump all for everybody ... time to stand up for the hobby. Who will join me?

jeff

70ToppsFanatic 06-01-2015 08:39 PM

I think I'll pass on Legendary Too

A few years back I was on the other side of this when the AH was still known as Mastro.

I sent in a big consignment and then they wouldn't pay me. All I was able to do was bid on items in subsequent auctions using my "credit" on anything of quality. They never failed to ship anything I was the top bidder on.

Fast forward to now with many of the principals of the AH in legal trouble. I am not interested in being in the middle of these peoples' problems again. Can you imagine bidding on anything, then they ship it to you, then they don't pay the consignor and then the consignor starts trying to get their items back?

My recommendation to anyone considering bidding with Legendary is to do yourself a favor and not do it. Even if you pay and they ship you what you won you could easily find yourself fighting to keep it if they do anything like what they did when Mastro was creatively "converted" into Legendary without any of the liabilities.

jefferyepayne 06-02-2015 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1417201)
I like the stance, but aren't the convicts gone from Legendary? I don't even know who's still there.

They still own the company ... its not who shakes your hand at the show, it's who puts the money in their pockets.

jeff

calvindog 06-02-2015 08:19 AM

I would normally presume that a Doug Allen-run company would not commit yet another fraud while he was pending sentencing in his federal criminal case; however, as Doug has shown us, he has no problem committing more crimes during such a period.

bwbc917 06-02-2015 10:57 AM

been years

Remove

Publius 06-02-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1417298)
I would normally presume that a Doug Allen-run company would not commit yet another fraud while he was pending sentencing in his federal criminal case; however, as Doug has shown us, he has no problem committing more crimes during such a period.

Agree ^^^^
Bidding and winning a card isn't the issue! it's receiving the card when or if the Feds seize all assets.
I'd be worried about paying for an item and never seeing it as legendary folded. I'd be really worried if I was that fool who for some damn reason consigned with them despite the criminal charges, who would do that? Seriously? Have fun collecting your proceeds when the fines are levied and assets frozen

I haven't even opened a Legendary catalogue or visited the site in years, cards do NOT trump all for me either, especially with crooks

Good riddance Legendary Auctions....

timn1 06-02-2015 10:36 PM

Yes

For a long time I had too little cash to bid with Mastro, but even then I was hearing too many stories about their business practices to like the idea. Later, when I could afford it, I saw no reason to trust them - now I feel that I was right all along to shun them, even if the reasons weren't always purely idealistic :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 1417172)

jeff

AddieJoss 06-03-2015 07:44 PM

I bid on a few graded single cards thinking the prices would be low since many would be hesitant to bid....all of the lots I bid on, I've already been outbid. I'm assuming because there isn't as many great single cards as some auctions. I am staying away from anything autographed in this auction though.

Cory

bcbgcbrcb 06-03-2015 09:14 PM

Agree with Cory, don't collect autos though.

h2oya311 06-03-2015 11:20 PM

Legendary

At least I got a catalog BEFORE the auction ends this time around. Surprised they got any consignments after that snafu during their last auction. There are a handful of cool pieces in this auction, but it is certainly looking much thinner than years past. For full disclosure, I am bidding on one or two items, but don't expect to be the winning bidder on any.

Brian Van Horn 06-03-2015 11:31 PM

I have said it before-I will never bid in a Legendary auction again.

GregMitch34 06-04-2015 09:50 PM

Auction ending, prices look low for most, true?

pokerplyr80 06-04-2015 10:01 PM

The few cards I was watching seemed to go for about what I figured, and a couple went for even more. Especially the 51 bowman mays

Sean1125 06-04-2015 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregMitch34 (Post 1418155)
Auction ending, prices look low for most, true?

I have no opinion on pre-war, modern, or memorabilia.
I disagree on all material 50's to 70's.

Epps 06-04-2015 10:37 PM

It seemed like a bidders stayed away from the Just So Poster. I expected that to sell for multiples of what it did. Ended at $27500

rhettyeakley 06-04-2015 11:12 PM

If anyone wants to make some quick cash, I wanted several of the Zeenut lots but wasn't wanting to bid this go around.

Bored5000 06-05-2015 02:22 AM

I know the raw Fatty Arbuckle card in the auction had all kinds of creases, but I thought that card would go for more than $1,673. I can't find any other comparable Arbuckle Zeenuts that have gone to auction in recent years, but I know that card doesn't show up at auction very often.

ValKehl 06-05-2015 09:25 PM

If anyone here won the Witmor Candy lot, I would be interested in the Sam Rice card, if it has a clean back, to upgrade my example, which has a bit of paper loss on the back.
Val

Al C.risafulli 06-06-2015 12:08 AM

Similarly, if anyone won the lot of Henry Johnson Confectioners cards, I believe there are a few in that group that I need. Feel free to reach out via PM or at info@loveofthegameauctions.com.

Thanks!

-Al

Edwolf1963 06-06-2015 08:18 AM

E95 Cobb

Humming the same tune, if anyone won the E95 Cobb and is looking to move that or perhaps a dupe? LMK. I have just the E95 Cobb and Wagner to go to complete that set – all mid-grade. Huge thanks to a fellow board member who kept an eye out and let me know that Cobb was in the auction – I just dropped the ball and forgot when the auction closed.

Huysmans 06-06-2015 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epps (Post 1418165)
It seemed like a bidders stayed away from the Just So Poster. I expected that to sell for multiples of what it did. Ended at $27500

Yeah, if the opening bid was higher, it might not of sold.
Even the Bobby Orr test rookie went for more.

PZdiaz110 06-06-2015 10:02 AM

If anyone here won this lot, I am interested in several cards, especially the Bowman. Thanks, Dave

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/191...LOT170268.aspx

Jaybird 06-08-2015 10:27 AM

If anyone won the lot of Zeenuts Lot 74, I'm interested in the following cards:

Abstein

Boles
Ellis

Let me know. I have lots to trade or cash above market value.

Thanks,

Leon 06-10-2015 08:12 AM

I will go out on a limb and say the Legendary Auctions company is going to be in a state of disarray in the next few months. A word of caution to collectors.....My understanding is Mastro gets sentenced in August and the others right behind him....

Exhibitman 06-10-2015 10:40 AM

I am crass enough to have bid but cheap enough not to have won, so...if anyone picked up lot #500 of 12 boxing PC's, I would be interested in the Jimmy Clabby and the Jeffries/Oldfield. Also, whoever won lot #506, I would be interested in the Jeffries Training At Reno and the Abe Hollandersky.

turtleguy64 06-10-2015 10:57 AM

you are scaring me ,Leon.hope I get the lot I won before the roof caves in.don't see another event on their schedule after this last auction.

Leon 06-10-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleguy64 (Post 1419974)
you are scaring me ,Leon.hope I get the lot I won before the roof caves in.don't see another event on their schedule after this last auction.

I think it would be extremely idiotic for there to be any shenanigans with their auction that just ended. I would have to think consignors and buyers are ok...

turtleguy64 06-10-2015 05:52 PM

I'm feeling better after you last post as I got notice that my lot is packed and ready for shipping.Hard to imagine that once Mastro and later Legendary were the "go to" auction house.You really got a big bang for your buck with them in consigning.I always did well in that regard.So now we come to this level of uncertainty going forward.

Rickyy 06-11-2015 01:09 AM

I just got the catalogue! -_-

Ricky Y

Thirteen 06-12-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickyy (Post 1420177)
I just got the catalogue! -_-

Ricky Y

Sweet! Just got mine yesterday too. Want to go in together on something? :p

Rickyy 06-13-2015 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thirteen (Post 1420682)
Sweet! Just got mine yesterday too. Want to go in together on something? :p

Sounds good. Let's go back in the time machine and hope we win!

Ricky Y

Steve_NY 06-17-2015 08:17 PM

After reading this, I have to admit that I was a little nervous as I won 7 items on the latest Legendary Auction. BUt as with the others, they showed up today. Now 3 cards are missing but I suspect that their counting skills are not always perfect, especially when they list large lots. I will have to check the items they listed this weekend. I will still contnue to bid on their auctions anyway. They have always been good to me.

Steve S.

turtleguy64 06-18-2015 03:49 AM

Future Auctions

I would quit while you are ahead.I won the '59 set mounted in TMCA album.Asked Legendary before the bidding if the cards had been compromised by the corners being mounted in the album.Was told that ,no,only the last page had cards dented.NO! all cards were damaged except for maybe 20 out of 572 due to the mounting technique used.Bumped corners abounding throughout the album.Thank God I did not win the '62 set for the price of 24,000.00 !!!!

Steve_NY 06-18-2015 01:11 PM

David -- That is a big ouch. On the other hand, I have had decent luck when they undergraded some of my ungraded winnings. Also, I won some lots last year where they actually labeled items as incorrect years. I was not terribly upset then because of the vast quantltiy of items that I had won, and the fact that they just honestly didn't know the difference between two years that almost looked identical except for some small features.

As of right now, I will consider your comments but probably still bid on them.

I have a long stock market story about investing in poorly run companies who eventually turn around. Rather than bore everyone with the details, the gist of the story is the company's stock went from $55 overnight to $13, and everyone sold their shares before they lost it all. The company corrected their errors and mistakes, and is now once again trading at near $60 again, but it's been 15 years or so.

If Legendary has corrected their mistakes of the past, just maybe they are on the road to recovery. But if they are still being run with money from those that made the mistakes, then I agree that bidding in their auctions is a crap shoot.

Steve S.

packs 06-18-2015 01:17 PM

My experience with Legendary during this auction has been great so far. I won an item that came with an auction LOA. I asked if I could upgrade to a full LOA, and Legendary said sure and that it would only cost $50. Ordinarily a submission for this signature would cost $150. On top of saving me $100, they also agreed that should the item fail, I'll be reimbursed in full.

Peter_Spaeth 06-18-2015 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_NY (Post 1422617)
David -- That is a big ouch. On the other hand, I have had decent luck when they undergraded some of my ungraded winnings. Also, I won some lots last year where they actually labeled items as incorrect years. I was not terribly upset then because of the vast quantltiy of items that I had won, and the fact that they just honestly didn't know the difference between two years that almost looked identical except for some small features.

As of right now, I will consider your comments but probably still bid on them.

I have a long stock market story about investing in poorly run companies who eventually turn around. Rather than bore everyone with the details, the gist of the story is the company's stock went from $55 overnight to $13, and everyone sold their shares before they lost it all. The company corrected their errors and mistakes, and is now once again trading at near $60 again, but it's been 15 years or so.

If Legendary has corrected their mistakes of the past, just maybe they are on the road to recovery. But if they are still being run with money from those that made the mistakes, then I agree that bidding in their auctions is a crap shoot.

Steve S.

Tough to get on the road to recovery when two of your principals are going to be incarcerated, I would think, but we shall see.

Leon 06-18-2015 01:21 PM

Did everyone happen to see this at the top of every page? I am always curious why people don't obey that one simple rule.

If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post.

LL

turtleguy64 06-18-2015 01:32 PM

Steve,this was my first bad experience with Legendary either consigning or buying.You have to assume that after storage of sets in TMCA albums over a great many years ,you are going to get a result like what I ran into.That is why I asked beforehand on the condition of the corners."High grade" has to be high grade but just be honest.By the way,that rare Hanebrink no trade statement card was in the set.My saving grace.Something of value in the end but not enough to offset my costs.