Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Any possible future (pre 1980) NHL hall of famers? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=313279)

Chuck9788 01-08-2022 10:56 AM

Any possible future (pre 1980) NHL hall of famers?

Will we see future Hall of Famers from the pre 1980 era?

Some examples .. Eddie Shack, Don Cherry, J.C.Tremblay, Rick Martin. John Tonelli, Rick Middleton, Reggie Leach and Butch Goring.

Joeybats 01-08-2022 03:40 PM

I think the only one from the list that has any chance is Middleton. But, even as a lifelong Bruins fan, I don't see it happening. I think his numbers are comparable to Lanny McDonald and Yvan Cournoyer who are both in the HOF. That said, they have Stanley Cups to go along with their scoring totals. I'd like to see Middleton get in.

irv 01-09-2022 07:00 AM

Imo, it would be a absolute shame not to put Don Cherry in the HHOF.

Unfortunately, in today's asinine cancel culture, that may not happen, however?

slightlyrounded 01-09-2022 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 2183688)
Imo, it would be a absolute shame not to put Don Cherry in the HHOF.

Unfortunately, in today's asinine cancel culture, that may not happen, however?

Cherry may get in, but only has a shot posthumously, imho

The same 'culture' keeping Cherry out might also consider electing Herb Carnegie...his accomplishments (playing days and beyond) are pretty formidable and there's been a push in recent years for his inclusion. I'd personally like to see it since he played against my uncle, but I can see the reasons for and against.

Since every thread needs a card:

bcbgcbrcb 01-09-2022 04:48 PM

Agreed, I think Middleton has a decent chance. To me, although his career was shorter than most of the others mentioned, Rick Martin was more dominant at his peak than anyone else mentioned here. Part of Buffalo’s famed French Connection line with Gilbert Perrault and Rene Robert. No Cups but exciting times nonetheless.

shagrotn77 01-09-2022 08:33 PM

It’s too bad there’s no veteran’s committee for the hockey HOF. It’s the only sport among the big 4 without one. I know he’s a dark horse candidate, but I’d like to see Kent Nilsson get in. He’s 10th all time in PPG.

D. Bergin 01-10-2022 07:57 AM

I think Middleton was maybe 1 or 2 more decent seasons away from getting into the Hall. He is very comparable to Lanny McDonald as somebody else mentioned, who seemed to get in without much of a fight.

As somebody who grew up a Whaler fan, and saw lots of Bruins games, I'm not sure why Cam Neely is in, but Middleton isn't. I know Neely was a more explosive and exciting player, with a more interesting story...but Middleton was a lot more consistent and just plain solid. Just not a Neely type tough guy.

slightlyrounded 01-10-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2184048)
I think Middleton was maybe 1 or 2 more decent seasons away from getting into the Hall. He is very comparable to Lanny McDonald as somebody else mentioned, who seemed to get in without much of a fight.

Rick should have grown a more iconic mustache. Agree though, Middleton should be in.

Nilsson shouldn't have any shot: wasn't a fan favourite, didn't have cumulative career stats, and enjoyed absolutely no playoff success (WHA excepted). Fluid skater/handles though.

JoeWillyMammoth 01-12-2022 10:42 PM

Thoughts on Marc Tardif?

shagrotn77 01-13-2022 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2184048)

As somebody who grew up a Whaler fan, and saw lots of Bruins games, I'm not sure why Cam Neely is in, but Middleton isn't. I know Neely was a more explosive and exciting player, with a more interesting story...but Middleton was a lot more consistent and just plain solid. Just not a Neely type tough guy.

Agree with this. Middleton had a really nice 6-year stretch, but the rest of his seasons were ho hum. One or two more 90+ point seasons would have given him a much better shot.

Joeybats 01-13-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeWillyMammoth (Post 2184965)
Thoughts on Marc Tardif?

I don't think he has a chance. Those WHA years probably overstate his body if work.