Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Grading Question / Opinions Needed (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294468)

The-Cardfather 01-08-2021 09:08 AM

OT: Grading Question / Opinions Needed

I am not a professional card grader. But having said that, I've done pretty well in estimating what a card will grade at PSA. The most that my "guestimate" has been off was by 2 grades.

So this one has me baffled.

I recently purchased a 1963 Post Cereal Sandy Koufax - PSA 3. I think that the card is significantly under-graded. In my opinion, I think that this card should grade at a PSA 7 or 8.

The file size of the scan is too large to include with this post, so I've created a temporary page within my ImageEvent site for the scans (link below). If you click on the image, you can enlarge it.

https://imageevent.com/the_cardfathe...alkoufaxhodges

I've also included a scan of my 1963 Post Cereal Gil Hodges - PSA 9, which I feel is comparable. I realize that this card was graded a few years ago, so that by PSA's standards today; it would probably grade at a PSA 7 or 8.

And yes, we've all heard the phrase, "Buy the card, not the holder.", but the fact that I'm probably missing something here is driving me nuts.

What am I missing here? What are your thoughts?

bobbyw8469 01-08-2021 09:22 AM

That is a good looking 3. Can I see the back?

hcv123 01-08-2021 10:07 AM

Trying to figure out PSA grading

is truly an exercise in futility! The only thing I can say - is I sometimes am shocked at a card getting a better grade than I thought it should albeit much less often then one receiving a lower grade than I thought it should. So there is some degree of consistency to their inconsistency.

The-Cardfather 01-08-2021 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2053778)
That is a good looking 3. Can I see the back?

Here it is:

swarmee 01-08-2021 04:06 PM

Was the paper front partially peeling off the cardboard back?
Is that a crease at the top of the back? Could just be a reflection from the holder or off the mylar baggie.

Most likely, PSA found some spider wrinkles/creasing.

scmavl 01-08-2021 04:59 PM

I feel I’m a pretty decent eye grader as well. I sent in a ‘78 Keith Hernandez anticipating a 10. It was PERFECT. It came back as a 4. I can see no wrinkle/etc so I have no idea. So your guess is as good as mine.

swarmee 01-08-2021 05:21 PM

If you submit for a Review submission, they normally either upgrade the card or mark where the damage is that they noticed.

Eddiez 01-08-2021 05:31 PM

Sandy

I have broken a card out before that I bought graded only to find out that there was a tiny wrinkle on the card that you couldn't see with it in the PSA holder. Not saying there is one but that could be why because I agree with you it looks way better and a tiny wrinkle on a nice card usually drops it to a 3.

The-Cardfather 01-09-2021 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2053921)
Was the paper front partially peeling off the cardboard back?
Is that a crease at the top of the back? Could just be a reflection from the holder or off the mylar baggie.

Most likely, PSA found some spider wrinkles/creasing.

The paper is not peeling, and there are no creases/wrinkles (that I can see).

The-Cardfather 01-09-2021 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2053945)
If you submit for a Review submission, they normally either upgrade the card or mark where the damage is that they noticed.

I was thinking about doing this.

Let's assume the best case scenario and PSA agrees that the card is under-graded. They might bump it up a grade or possibly two. To bump it up any more than that would be an admission that they REALLY screwed up. I don't think that the culture of arrogance at PSA would allow them to give the card a significant bump up (to say, a 7 or 8). But I could be wrong.

Has anyone ever re-submitted a card for review and received a significant (4 grades or higher) bump up?

swarmee 01-09-2021 08:41 AM

You could try to email them concerning it being a mechanical error. PSA does give or type in the wrong grade rarely. They just did it with two off-centered Joe Montana rookies they gave 10s. Or you crack out and submit raw again.