Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Babe Ruth Koester’s Bread Heritage Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=288906)

quitcrab 09-11-2020 04:27 PM

Babe Ruth Koester’s Bread Heritage Auction

Can someone please find out what the card went for last night in the Heritage auction. It was graded a SGC 6. Thanks

Casey2296 09-11-2020 04:33 PM

$45,600

Baseball Rarities 09-11-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quitcrab (Post 2016786)
Can someone please find out what the card went for last night in the Heritage auction. It was graded a SGC 6. Thanks

Last night's SGC 6 in Heritage sold for $45,600. Ironically an SGC 7.5 sold 10 days ago in Heritage for $30,000.

OldOriole 09-11-2020 05:18 PM

Been Waiting

1 Attachment(s)
I've been waiting for a Koester's Ruth to go on the market for quite a while now. Kind of wild that two of the nicest ones known sold within a month of each other. I've got a stack of 15 Koester's including a Ruth from my one and only find of vintage cards and based on those prices I may have to part with mine as well. Healthy market.

Attachment 417938

pokerplyr80 09-11-2020 09:35 PM

I was thinking it would stay closer to 20k after the 7.5 went for 30k and put in an early bid with a plan to go for it last night. Obviously I underestimated the change in the market over the last couple of weeks. Maybe the centering had something to do with it.

griffon512 09-12-2020 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 2016869)
I was thinking it would stay closer to 20k after the 7.5 went for 30k and put in an early bid with a plan to go for it last night. Obviously I underestimated the change in the market over the last couple of weeks. Maybe the centering had something to do with it.

I don't know that there's been any change in the market in the last two weeks. The 6 has much better eye appeal than the 7.5. My takeaway from this and other cards in that auction was that the premium paid for eye appeal keeps on increasing.

Rhotchkiss 09-12-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffon512 (Post 2016908)
I don't know that there's been any change in the market in the last two weeks. The 6 has much better eye appeal than the 7.5. My takeaway from this and other cards in that auction was that the premium paid for eye appeal keeps on increasing.

The 7.5 has a slight diamond cut, the picture is crooked, and everyone knew the 6 was coming up on its heels (since heritage posts previews well in advance). This last fact is impactful in that people are less likely to max bid on a rare card when they know they have a second bite at (a nicer) apple in a few weeks.

griffon512 09-12-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2016927)
The 7.5 has a slight diamond cut, the picture is crooked, and everyone knew the 6 was coming up on its heels (since heritage posts previews well in advance. This last fact is impactful in that people are less likely to max bid on a rare card when they know they have a second bite at (a nicer) apple in a few weeks.

good point

1880nonsports 09-12-2020 09:12 AM

well

As one can bid on one's own consigned item (or one owned by the auction house or representative/employee) in a Heritage auction - maybe one card was shilled more than the other. Also the idea of a swing within a two week period due to market forces doesn't make much sense to me - not that kind of commodity...... Then again, I'm not inclined to bid in that rare air so maybe I'm just jealous.

Baseball Rarities 09-12-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2016927)
The 7.5 has a slight diamond cut, the picture is crooked, and everyone knew the 6 was coming up on its heels (since heritage posts previews well in advance). This last fact is impactful in that people are less likely to max bid on a rare card when they know they have a second bite at (a nicer) apple in a few weeks.

I agree with Ryan. I just looked at the two cards more carefully and the 6 was much better centered and definitely had a better "look" to it despite their technical grades.

glchen 09-12-2020 01:38 PM

My opinion is that the person who won the 7.5 Koesters got a steal. When I saw the closing price, I was shocked because a 1921 E121 in a 3 grade usually goes for nearly 20K. I have a feeling that everyone was saving their money for the partnerone Heritage auction that came 10 days later, and when folks got kicked off the items they wanted, the moved to the SGC 6 Koesters. That's what happened to me. I basically ignored the previous Heritage auction since I was trying to win a few cards in the Partnerone auction, especially the Wm Paterson Ruth, but got crushed and came away with nothing. If I knew that was going to happen, I would have tried to win something in the previous Heritage auction.

pokerplyr80 09-12-2020 03:09 PM

I thought some might have just missed the first one. I understand paying for eye appeal, as those are the cards I go for, but you typically don't see a 6 out sell a 7.5 by 50%. Someone got a great looking card though.

LincolnVT 09-12-2020 05:37 PM

Koester

My guess is that the same person bought both. Protecting and enhancing his or her initial investment on the 7.5.

Gobucsmagic74 09-12-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 2017046)
My opinion is that the person who won the 7.5 Koesters got a steal. When I saw the closing price, I was shocked because a 1921 E121 in a 3 grade usually goes for nearly 20K. I have a feeling that everyone was saving their money for the partnerone Heritage auction that came 10 days later, and when folks got kicked off the items they wanted, the moved to the SGC 6 Koesters. That's what happened to me. I basically ignored the previous Heritage auction since I was trying to win a few cards in the Partnerone auction, especially the Wm Paterson Ruth, but got crushed and came away with nothing. If I knew that was going to happen, I would have tried to win something in the previous Heritage auction.

I'd be somewhat surprised if you could find an E121 Ruth in a 3 for under $20k these days. A SGC 2, albeit a solid one, just eclipsed $18k

Leon 09-13-2020 07:28 AM

Centering could play a part in it. I paid 2x what a T205 Cobb sold for, with worse centering, in the most recent HA auction in a 6 holder. And I couldn't be happier....

Ilovevintagebaseball 09-26-2020 08:52 PM

Still have that Ruth? If so, what are you looking to get out of it?

Ilovevintagebaseball 09-26-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldOriole (Post 2016801)
I've been waiting for a Koester's Ruth to go on the market for quite a while now. Kind of wild that two of the nicest ones known sold within a month of each other. I've got a stack of 15 Koester's including a Ruth from my one and only find of vintage cards and based on those prices I may have to part with mine as well. Healthy market.

Attachment 417938

oldjudge 09-26-2020 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not the only nice ones:

swarmee 09-27-2020 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilovevintagebaseball (Post 2020995)

Hello, you can send a private message to a board member instead of posting this in the thread. Or create a "Looking For/Want to Buy" thread in the correct B/S/T board.