Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Pedro Martinez (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235537)

eastonfalcon19 02-17-2017 04:27 PM

Pedro Martinez

1 Attachment(s)
What do you guys think of Pedro?

Scott Garner 02-17-2017 05:20 PM

Pedro

I believe that this Pedro signature is genuine. :)

Terrier8HOF 02-17-2017 05:20 PM

Pedro was a great pitcher. As for this signature, it does not look right.

eastonfalcon19 02-17-2017 05:37 PM

Thanks guys. What doesn't look right about it?

Terrier8HOF 02-17-2017 05:57 PM

if you compare it to authentic examples currently on ebay, (older versions), there is a consistency that is not apparent on this one. the M is way off, the slant is off, and even the letters in the first name.

clydepepper 02-17-2017 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 (Post 1632350)
What do you guys think of Pedro?

Compare it to mine:

Attachment 262214

eastonfalcon19 02-17-2017 06:17 PM

Thanks fellas for the good feedback. I thought it might be a rushed in person auto.

Terrier8HOF 02-17-2017 07:22 PM

the one on the card is authentic and not signed by the same person as the on on the ball, in my opinion.

jimjim 02-17-2017 08:00 PM

I don't like it

w7imel 02-21-2017 11:09 PM

JMO but who would forge a Pedro Martinez? Did not realize there was that big of a market for him. Again JMO, would love to hear from the Pedro experts...Oh never mind there are none because Pedro was a jerk and no one wants his autograph!!!...Sorry guys I just snapped and as a life long Yankee fan the image of Pedro grabbing Don Zimmer's bald little head threw me into a blind rage all over again!!!:D:D:D:D:D But to the point is there a real reason to forge his auto?

steve B 02-22-2017 08:44 AM

As a Red Sox fan, there were several times in late 78 that I'd have done worse to Zimmer.:D:D As far as I was concerned that one day playoff was the world series.

I always wondered if Zimmer would sign a picture of an actual gerbil?

Anyway, I think the market for Pedro may be a bit regional or depend on what team you like. I'd think there was at least a decent market for his signature here in the Boston area.

Steve B

bnorth 02-22-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1634013)
JMO but who would forge a Pedro Martinez? Did not realize there was that big of a market for him. Again JMO, would love to hear from the Pedro experts...Oh never mind there are none because Pedro was a jerk and no one wants his autograph!!!...Sorry guys I just snapped and as a life long Yankee fan the image of Pedro grabbing Don Zimmer's bald little head threw me into a blind rage all over again!!!:D:D:D:D:D But to the point is there a real reason to forge his auto?

People will forge a $1 autograph. I email off and on with former mlb pitcher Brian Holman. He will sign for free and if you look at eBay you will even find forged autos of his selling for a few bucks.

frankbmd 02-22-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Is it safe to assume that Pedro's autograph on Zimmer's bald little head is authentic then?

scooter729 02-22-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Who would forge a Pedro autograph?? He was a HOF pitcher who had one of the greatest 5-6 year runs ever. He certainly was a bit of a diva and would throw at a guy every now and then, but he's not alone in either category. Do people want Bob Gibson's autograph? I am sure thousands in New England and across the country would like Pedro's autograph.

And pushing a guy out of the way when he's charging at you, regardless of his age? I certainly am a biased Red Sox fan but unless Joe Buck hadn't gone on a rant as it happened about how evil Pedro was (without seeing the replay to see Zimmer charging at him), it wouldn't have gotten the infamy it did.

Mr. Zipper 02-22-2017 03:23 PM

Why would anyone forge Pedro?

To turn a $15 ball into a $100 bill.

There are forgeries of $5 autographs on index cards all over eBay.

HOF Auto Rookies 02-22-2017 03:43 PM

It looks off to me. Not saying it couldn't be legit, just seems off. Quite possibly rushed but I'd lean towards no.

scooter729 02-22-2017 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a slightly rushed in-person auto I got from Pedro outside of Fenway, circa 2004 - he signed this one while walking to a car outside the park. I remember being impressed at the time that his sig while walking was fairly consistent with other versions when he would've had more time!

Scott Garner 02-22-2017 06:50 PM

Although I stated in my first post that this Pedro is legit, the most obvious anomaly that stands out to me is that it doesn't exhibit the forward right handed slant that I am used to seeing with his sig exemplars.

I may stand corrected. I have never actually gotten his autograph IP, but I do own several examples.

thetruthisoutthere 02-22-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrier8HOF (Post 1632375)
if you compare it to authentic examples currently on ebay, (older versions), there is a consistency that is not apparent on this one. the M is way off, the slant is off, and even the letters in the first name.

When is comes to Boston Redsox sigs, Terrier is the man.

Scott Garner 02-23-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1634357)
When is comes to Boston Redsox sigs, Terrier is the man.

Well, there you go...

brooklynbaseball 02-25-2017 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a nice big example of an authenticated PM signed ball.

chaddurbin 02-25-2017 09:42 AM

this could be from the same time period as the OP. pedro was one of my favs.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...pspgafcups.jpg

Terrier8HOF 02-25-2017 11:03 AM

I saw that PSA certed Martinez on ebay recently, and I have my doubts about it. It looks flat, and he rarely if ever, just signed with a straight line above his last name. It just does not look right to me. If I could learn how to upload pics I would show a few for comparison.

Terrier8HOF 02-25-2017 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 263390

chaddurbin 02-25-2017 07:05 PM

pedro definitely has that righty lean on his later career sig, the verticality and P in OP's signature does bother me. he early career sig didn't always have that lean and could've been vertical.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uycAAO...ys/s-l1600.jpg

w7imel 02-25-2017 07:46 PM

I really wish you guys would stop talking about this bum!!! Don Zimmer was a dear friend of mine and he always told me that when Pedro grabbed his head that day it felt like "girl hands"...And the only reason he went to the ground was he tripped on a piece of gum ..:D:D:D:D:D

brooklynbaseball 02-26-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrier8HOF (Post 1635218)
I saw that PSA certed Martinez on ebay recently, and I have my doubts about it. It looks flat, and he rarely if ever, just signed with a straight line above his last name. It just does not look right to me. If I could learn how to upload pics I would show a few for comparison.

It's an older Pedro, purchased with many others from Lelands many years ago. Absolutely beautiful example!