Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   TTM Autographs - Tell your success stories! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152839)

Jayjones82 06-22-2012 08:07 AM

TTM Autographs - Tell your success stories!

This could also go in the Pre-1980 forum, but has anyone had a lot of success with getting players/former players to sign through the mail? When I was a kid, I sent a ball off to Duke Snider (again, pre-1980, but whatever), and received it back, signed, on a day I was sick and out of school..really lifted my spirits.

UOFLfan7 06-22-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayjones82 (Post 1006287)
This could also go in the Pre-1980 forum, but has anyone had a lot of success with getting players/former players to sign through the mail? When I was a kid, I sent a ball off to Duke Snider (again, pre-1980, but whatever), and received it back, signed, on a day I was sick and out of school..really lifted my spirits.

Haha I wish, but nah I never had any success post 1980 trying that. My gramps got a Nolan Ryan signed ball, but that was in person and not from sending it in haha, however he does have a lot of stories from the late 50's, many which have him sending a note into a famouse ball player and the player sending back an autograph. Of course his mother threw those out along with all of his old baseball cards!

HRBAKER 06-22-2012 04:51 PM

Was a hardcore ttm guy for years, really 1986 through about 2009. Many years I sent out over 1000 requests. When the success rate began running less than 30%, it became a colossal waste of time and stamps to me.

tonyo 06-23-2012 04:57 AM

I sent my first ttm in June 5. Here are my stats: 28 sent, most with two cards in each (one card from each set I thought I'd try). I have received autos from Will Clark, Jimmy Key, Zane Smith, and David Nied. Will Clark and Jimmy Key both only returned one of the two cards. I have had one envelope returned with the wrong address (Jeff Kent).

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1006529)
When the success rate began running less than 30%, it became a colossal waste of time and stamps to me.

I suspect that I'm going to realize I lack the patience to keep this up. :( I'm finding it a little painful to research the addresses, write the envelopes and the note requesting the auto, and purchase the stamps. :o I need a fairly steady reward to go thru that effort... So far I'm still trying it though:)

BTW
It's that slightly impatient aspect of my psyche that made collecting the Monster so appealing for me. Usually a pretty steady flow of t206's within my budget coming in the mail over a two year period:D

SetBuilder 06-25-2012 09:27 AM

I started a thread in the autograph forum about this:

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152935

I had no idea what "TTM" meant until I opened this thread.

I think my success ratio was a bit higher than 30% -- more like 50-60% -- because I chose players based on the realistic probability they would respond to the request. There used to be a list I would reference and it was very accurate, down to the average turnaround time.

The downside was getting auto's from average players (i.e. Adam Kennedy, Mark Wohlers).

I did get some good ones: Tim Hudson, Mike Mussina, etc.

robsbessette 06-25-2012 12:45 PM

Back in the mid 90s I sent out a bunch of requests and did surprisingly well (probably about 60%). I got back Kenny Lofton, Andy Pettite, Paul Molitor, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Reggie Jefferson, Jorge Posada. I also learned the harsh reality that some players couldn't sign the cards I sent out (John Olerud, Larry Walker) due to contractual obligations.

I also sent some hockey out as well and came back with Mario Lemieux, Felix Potvin, Sergei Federov.

I plowed through envelopes and stamps like crazy, since I included a SASE. But I was always thrilled to see my own hand written envelope make it back to my mailbox.

GasHouseGang 06-25-2012 02:36 PM

Back in the 80's SCD routinely printed player addresses for autograph requests. They had a regular columnist for it. I only sent out a few, but I think I was 100% on getting responses. The only thing about getting them in the mail was you were never absolutely sure you were getting an authentic autograph.

BenG76 06-25-2012 07:58 PM

I have been sending TTM's since April and I have gotten well over 100 back so far. I signed up on sportscollectors.net to see who signs and also I can track my successes and failures. I think it costs $15 for a year.

I also ordered the Harvey Meiselman lists as well to help find some of the harder addresses.

I send to almost anyone that I have a spare card for. I have got some good returns. I will admit that there are a few I paid the fee for as well.

I also put up vidoes of my returns on Youtube. Here is a link

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...2&feature=plcp

chaddurbin 06-25-2012 09:07 PM

did them in the early 90s was never hardcore just sent to stadiums and arenas a few baseball/hockey/football. the success was pretty high.

i started back recently but the return rate has been really low...like 10-15%. granted i'm writing to retired guys from the 90's. i've only gotten back 3...2 sure things in andy benes and gregg olson, and a dale murphy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1006529)
Was a hardcore ttm guy for years, really 1986 through about 2009. Many years I sent out over 1000 requests. When the success rate began running less than 30%, it became a colossal waste of time and stamps to me.

jeff do you still have these? i'm looking for rookie or early year cards of a bunch of guys in this period (1989-1991).

BenG76 06-26-2012 06:30 AM

Here is my stats since April

Sent 268 TTM's
3 Failures Return to Sender
163 Returns
102 still out. This includes several I just sent

I highly recommend using some kind of a site that shows who is signing such as sportscollectors.net. Ive also looked at fanmail.biz but it seems more actor/entertainment oriented.

With that being said I do plan to try some of the harder guys eventually so I am sure my averages may go down a bit. I also have several still out from the first bunch I sent that I may be lucky to get a return from. Still hoping for a few of those.

BenG76 06-26-2012 06:33 AM

I also wanted to add that I plan on working on some late 80's early 90's sets as a project starting over the next few weeks. I have a ton of 91 Topps and Fleer Ultra. I would also like to get some 87 Topps signed as well.

I am also working on the 2005 Topps All American Football set and I have several of those already signed.