Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The ultimate trade up (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238153)

ruth-gehrig 04-23-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1653490)
There was a member on the board a few years ago asking for money for health expenses...turned out he was spending the $$$ on baseball cards. The situation was addressed and money was returned...nonetheless it happened.

Was his first name Bill? If so is he still a member here?

rainier2004 04-23-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1653496)
Thing is I haven't once asked someone to help me out . No one is doing charity for me.

Exactly. Stephen has asked for a single contribution, he is just being up front with his situation. If you want to trade him, he will do if the value is in his favor. People obviously will do it without any charity involved.

In the end, the OP's ability to do this will be based on his network and ability to recognize deals while utilizing several venues to buy and sell. I think his transparency is useful on this venue.

I have found myself following the thread...

ullmandds 04-23-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1653512)
Was his first name Bill? If so is he still a member here?

yes and I have no idea.

conor912 04-23-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1653427)
Of course not. But this situation is unlike most situations. He is asking for people to go out of their way to help and he has stated his goal (get a mantle). I know if he planned on selling the card a day after getting the mantle, i would want to know that.

Another example would be if someone says they need me to take lesser money for a card than i normally would because they needed medication and were going to sell the card to help them get funds for that. So i do the deal only to learn that it was not true.

Again, people dont have to follow through with what they say but i am just giving you a reason why asking him what he plans to do with the mantle isnt out of line considering this whole thread is about him getting a mantle based on the net54 community helping him out.

I really do not think me asking "what do you plan on doing with the mantle once you get it?" is a tough question for him to answer publicly. Perhaps he was going to put it in a nice looking display and show the net54 community a picture of it , that could encourage more people to work out deals with him. Maybe he doesnt know. My question isnt an attack, its just a simple question.

just saying.....

Jake, how much money do you make per year? My question isnt an attack, its just a simple question. Just saying.....

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1653525)
Jake, how much money do you make per year? My question isnt an attack, its just a simple question. Just saying.....

+1

Jake if this was a one time thing cool, however you are always negative in every thread I create. If you can prove otherwise please do.

KMayUSA6060 04-23-2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1653427)
Of course not. But this situation is unlike most situations. He is asking for people to go out of their way to help and he has stated his goal (get a mantle). I know if he planned on selling the card a day after getting the mantle, i would want to know that.

Another example would be if someone says they need me to take lesser money for a card than i normally would because they needed medication and were going to sell the card to help them get funds for that. So i do the deal only to learn that it was not true.

Again, people dont have to follow through with what they say but i am just giving you a reason why asking him what he plans to do with the mantle isnt out of line considering this whole thread is about him getting a mantle based on the net54 community helping him out.

I really do not think me asking "what do you plan on doing with the mantle once you get it?" is a tough question for him to answer publicly. Perhaps he was going to put it in a nice looking display and show the net54 community a picture of it , that could encourage more people to work out deals with him. Maybe he doesnt know. My question isnt an attack, its just a simple question.

just saying.....

Yes, the ultimate goal being a '52 Mantle, but he isn't asking people to go out of their way to help him. He is offering people more liquid cards for less liquid cards.

If I had $800 in gold to sell/trade, and you had $1000 in mulch to sell/trade and you were struggling to sell/trade that mulch, would you not consider taking the $800 in gold? Odd example, I know, but that's the idea of his actions.

At the same time, I don't think it's unfair to ask what he plans on doing with the Mantle if/once he obtains one, but I also think it's ok for him not to share.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1653557)
Yes, the ultimate goal being a '52 Mantle, but he isn't asking people to go out of their way to help him. He is offering people more liquid cards for less liquid cards.

If I had $800 in gold to sell/trade, and you had $1000 in mulch to sell/trade and you were struggling to sell/trade that mulch, would you not consider taking the $800 in gold? Odd example, I know, but that's the idea of his actions.

At the same time, I don't think it's unfair to ask what he plans on doing with the Mantle if/once he obtains one, but I also think it's ok for him not to share.

For anyone that cares (not sure anyone besides James even
Does) I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the mantle. I just thought it was a fun idea to try to trade up to a mantle. So if that keeps anyone from making a trade with me so be it lol

1952boyntoncollector 04-23-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1653525)

I prefer not to say. With that being said, can you give me $5.00, you can paypal it and i really need it.

I didnt say in not so many words, 'ill only tell a certain amount of people that deal with me'

It seems others here agree what i said is fine for the thread including Leon..

just saying

1952boyntoncollector 04-23-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1653526)
+1

Jake if this was a one time thing cool, however you are always negative in every thread I create. If you can prove otherwise please do.

Take a look at the thread where you said you were quitting...look at what i posted.....i didnt tell you to quit at all and not negative to you at all, plus i cant think of any threads specifically where i would of been negative to you. i dont want to spend the time to look for every post you made to see if if i can find the one negative thing i had said (which i assume you are referring to but which im sure would of been warranted). You are the one that is making that accusation which i am denying so if you can prove otherwise please do. By the way, your posts directed to me could be interpreted as negative...

we are both big jackie robinson fans and you have a lot of energy into the hobby, im all for that and have interest in your posts on subject matters we both enjoy it appears.

1952boyntoncollector 04-23-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1653581)
For anyone that cares (not sure anyone besides James even
Does) I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the mantle. I just thought it was a fun idea to try to trade up to a mantle. So if that keeps anyone from making a trade with me so be it lol

Thats all you had to say, it a better answer than 'i wont tell you or the public, only people i have traded with' It may not help people go out their way to help you but it is what it is.....

Thats all i asked. It wasnt negative to you, it was just a question that many poeple on the thread do not think i was unreasonable to ask...actually you are the only one that seemed to think that....correct me if you can prove otherwise

xplainer 04-23-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1653488)
+1

If one said (not Stephen) that his mother was in the freezer in the garage and he just needed funds to give her a proper burial, one might get more than one Mantle, or not.;)

Charitable "giving" to internet strangers with cardboard appetites hardly seems like a ticket to the pearly gates for either party.

Not funny Frank. My mother is in the freezer, no money for a proper burial, and I have no room for corndogs, push pops or Blue Bell.

PM me and I'll give you my PP info. Thanks.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1653587)
Thats all you had to say, it a better answer than 'i wont tell you or the public, only people i have traded with' It may not help people go out their way to help you but it is what it is.....

Thats all i asked. It wasnt negative to you, it was just a question that many poeple on the thread do not think i was unreasonable to ask...actually you are the only one that seemed to think that....correct me if you can prove otherwise

Maybe it wasn't negative but it was unnecessary. You know you really could care less what I do with it. You just have nothing better to do than stir the pot of my thread. You wanted me to say, sell it so you and other people that are mush negatives can jump down my throat with quotes like "Leon he is just using this thread to make money" "you're not doing this for the right reasons" etc. you can say that isn't the case but anyone with half a brain knows it is.

I truly am just doing this because I thought it would be cool to pull off. After re reading the first 5 pages, is so funny how many people are so stuck in their ways. It's encouraging though to read the supportive comments from people that actually appreciate the effort of what I am doing and are joining in if it makes sense.

1952boyntoncollector 04-23-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1653592)
Maybe it wasn't negative but it was unnecessary. You know you really could care less what I do with it. You just have nothing better to do than stir the pot of my thread. You wanted me to say, sell it so you and other people that are mush negatives can jump down my throat with quotes like "Leon he is just using this thread to make money" "you're not doing this for the right reasons" etc. you can say that isn't the case but anyone with half a brain knows it is.

I truly am just doing this because I thought it would be cool to pull off. After re reading the first 5 pages, is so funny how many people are so stuck in their ways. It's encouraging though to read the supportive comments from people that actually appreciate the effort of what I am doing and are joining in if it makes sense.

Not sure how you knew what i meant. Your assumptions are wrong. Just as you were wrong saying i was negative on all your posts, which happened now to be none.

You could of just answered the question. Saying you will tell certain people but not post your intentions here on net54 seemed like you were stirring the pot.

Afterall, if you dont know what you were going to do with the card/mantle, why did you say you will tell people that traded with you that information and not the net54 community as a whole.

Like i posted earlier, maybe you planned for the mantle to be on display and had something in mind. That certainly would not negatively impact future deals, quite the opposite i would think.

You basically said what i said on your thread was not appropriate and everyone pretty much disagreed with that. You said i was negative on all your threads with my posts implying i have some sort of agenda against you but it turns out there are no such threads like you are saying.

In any event, like i stated earlier we have many of the same interests and both into jackie robinson and i like your energy in the hobby....im on your side. ..All i did was ask a simple question that was very easy to for most if not all people to answer without any intrusion.....this is my last post for today on this thread...have a good rest of the weekend

Huysmans 04-23-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1652850)
And whoever has traded with me already can feel free to ask.

Sorry, its nothing at all personal, but when you're asking for charity.... And yes, use any rhetoric you choose... You're still asking people to give you MORE for LESS...
Plus you're somewhat known for constantly asking others to share their knowledge with items you are unaware of.... but then the minute you get what you want, its no one's business expect the people willing to "donate" to your noble cause? With all due respect, you honestly can't see how that would rub people the wrong way?? This isn't rocket science, the bottom line is you're on here always asking to receive more than you give.... and some people get tired of it.

Again, its nothing personal. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but acting like this is somewhat juvenile. That said, if you were willingly more transparent, I think it would help benefit your goal.

Brent

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653603]Sorry, its nothing at all personal, but when you're asking for charity.... And yes, use any rhetoric you choose... You're still asking people to give you MORE for LESS...
Plus you're somewhat known for constantly asking others to share their knowledge with items you are unaware of.... but then the minute you get what you want, its no one's business expect the people willing to "donate" to your noble cause? With all due respect, you honestly can't see how that would rub people the wrong way?? This isn't rocket science, the bottom line is you're on here always asking to receive more than you give.... and some people get tired of it.

Again, its nothing personal. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but acting like this is somewhat juvenile. That said, if you were willingly more transparent, I think it would help benefit your goal. Quote

Ps it's not charity.

If I have a cobb and you have a don Larsen. Mines worth 1000 yours is worth 1200 psa 10 mines a psa 1. Which market is bigger? Which is a easier sell? Which would you rather have?

How am I not transparent? I couldn't make this post any more clear. I'm trading up to a mantle. Holy smokes.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1653597)
Not sure how you knew what i meant. Your assumptions are wrong. Just as you were wrong saying i was negative on all your posts, which happened now to be none.

You could of just answered the question. Saying you will tell certain people but not post your intentions here on net54 seemed like you were stirring the pot.

Afterall, if you dont know what you were going to do with the card/mantle, why did you say you will tell people that traded with you that information and not the net54 community as a whole.

Like i posted earlier, maybe you planned for the mantle to be on display and had something in mind. That certainly would not negatively impact future deals, quite the opposite i would think.

You basically said what i said on your thread was not appropriate and everyone pretty much disagreed with that. You said i was negative on all your threads with my posts implying i have some sort of agenda against you but it turns out there are no such threads like you are saying.

In any event, like i stated earlier we have many of the same interests and both into jackie robinson and i like your energy in the hobby....im on your side. ..All i did was ask a simple question that was very easy to for most if not all people to answer without any intrusion.....this is my last post for today on this thread...have a good rest of the weekend

You're brutal. Just don't post in here anymore. You are not contributing to this thread 1%

bnorth 04-23-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1653607)

Ps it's not charity.

If I have a cobb and you have a don Larsen. Mines worth 1000 yours is worth 1200 psa 10 mines a psa 1. Which market is bigger? Which is a easier sell? Which would you rather have?

How am I not transparent? I couldn't make this post any more clear. I'm trading up to a mantle. Holy smokes.

What would be really cool is if you would keep a running total of what you have for trade in each of your new posts.

There was a guy who did this a couple years ago over on BO and he done it perfectly. Even had eBay/PayPal and shipping fees listed. Everybody got to see how far he had come and how far he had left to go. Getting your posts in this thread organized and keeping them on point will really help in your goal.

Huysmans 04-23-2017 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=EYECOLLECTVINTAGE;1653607]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1653603)
Sorry, its nothing at all personal, but when you're asking for charity.... And yes, use any rhetoric you choose... You're still asking people to give you MORE for LESS...

Again, its nothing personal. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but acting like this is somewhat juvenile. That said, if you were willingly more transparent, I think it would help benefit your goal. Quote

Ps it's not charity.

You just said it yourself....YOURS is worth 1000... THEIRS is worth 1200
You do understand that one amount is MORE than the other right?? I don't care about what kind of rationale you use regarding which market is bigger, its CHARITY... plain and simple... You want MORE for giving LESS. Is this really hard for you to understand? Just be honest with yourself and others.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653614]
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1653607)

You just said it yourself....YOURS is worth 1000... THEIRS is worth 1200
You do understand that one amount is MORE than the other right?? I don't care about what kind of rationale you use regarding which market is bigger, its CHARITY... plain and simple... You want MORE for giving LESS. Is this really hard for you to understand? Just be honest with yourself and others.

If I had a Larsen and someone had the cobb I'd do that trade in a heart beat if I wasn't looking to trade up for a mantle. I wouldn't consider it charity. I'd consider it a good trade for me. Why? I probably didn't pay 1200 for the Larsen and don't wanna pay 1000 for a cobb. Selling the Larsen may take a while, and even after fees my 1200 larsen is 1050.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1653611)
What would be really cool is if you would keep a running total of what you have for trade in each of your new posts.

There was a guy who did this a couple years ago over on BO and he done it perfectly. Even had eBay/PayPal and shipping fees listed. Everybody got to see how far he had come and how far he had left to go. Getting your posts in this thread organized and keeping them on point will really help in your goal.

Totally agree!

I have been doing it or atleast trying. I have those T-206's and photos. Those are what's left to trade.

Huysmans 04-23-2017 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=EYECOLLECTVINTAGE;1653624]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1653614)

If I had a Larsen and someone had the cobb I'd do that trade in a heart beat if I wasn't looking to trade up for a mantle. I wouldn't consider it charity. I'd consider it a good trade for me. Why? I probably didn't pay 1200 for the Larsen and don't wanna pay 1000 for a cobb. Selling the Larsen may take a while, and even after fees my 1200 larsen is 1050.

Sorry, no. Your argument would only have validity if the market guaranteed 100% that one card would sell quicker than the other... But EVERYONE reading this knows these things aren't set in stone. I hate to sound arrogant, and I'm often wrong... but here I'm not.
The fact that you used words like "probably" and "may" says it all... Your fantasy is based on wishful thinking to benefit yourself.. Nothing more. If you want to collect on ASSUMPTION, more power to you, but don't expect that from others.
...you still just can't be honest with the members on here or, more importantly, yourself.

Again Stephen its nothing personal, I'm just the type that has to call out a wrong.
Sorry....

I do wish you the best otherwise.

Brent

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1653611)

[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653633]
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1653624)

Sorry, no. Your argument would only have validity if the market guaranteed 100% that one card would sell quicker than the other... But EVERYONE reading this knows these things aren't set in stone. I hate to sound arrogant, and I'm often wrong... but here I'm not.
The fact that you used words like "probably" and "may" says it all... Your fantasy is based on wishful thinking to benefit yourself.. Nothing more. If you want to collect on ASSUMPTION, more power to you, but don't expect that from others.
...you still just can't be honest with the members on here or, more importantly, yourself.

Again Stephen its nothing personal, I'm just the type that has to call out a wrong.
Sorry....

I do wish you the best otherwise.

Brent

Wrong in your opinion. Some will agree with your "opinion" and some here won't. I'm the type to call out a hater. You're a hater. You do sound arrogant. How am I being dishonest? You make no sense. Hey wanna trade? No? That's cool. Hit up another thread.

Huysmans 04-23-2017 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=EYECOLLECTVINTAGE;1653639]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1653633)

Wrong in your opinion. Some will agree with your "opinion" and some here won't. I'm the type to call out a hater. You're a hater. You do sound arrogant. How am I being dishonest? You make no sense. Hey wanna trade? No? That's cool. Hit up another thread.

Yeah, I'm a "hater", but you're a user.
I'd say hit up another thread as well (excellent argument by the way!!)
But you'd probably be better off hitting yourself upside the head.
And you couldn't argue ANYTHING I said.... Typical.
And what could you possibly argue dumb dumb? The market is NEVER 100%... learn that!
You're a great human being though... Keep being you and asking others to give CHARITY for your selfish, pathetic goal.

Oh, and I will stay off the "thread" you apparently "own"...
If you can't take legitimate criticism...
It might be time to change your panties.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653644]
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1653639)

Yeah, I'm a "hater", but you're a user.
I'd say hit up another thread as well (excellent argument by the way!!)
But you'd probably be better off hitting yourself upside the head.
And you couldn't argue ANYTHING I said.... Typical.
And what could you possibly argue dumb dumb? The market is NEVER 100%... learn that!
You're a great human being though... Keep being you and asking others to give CHARITY for your selfish, pathetic goal.

Oh, and I will stay off the "thread" you apparently "own"...
If you can't take legitimate criticism...
It might be time to change your panties.

My favorite thing in the world is a Internet tough guy. Keep being you buddy. You must be a pleasure to trade with. You seem really reasonable. I have dealt with so many members here buying selling and trading and am confident no one has a problem with the way I do business. I am honest, truthful and most importantly... fair. I guess you don't know what opportunity cost is. Maybe supply and demand as well?

I traded that original Walter Johnson for approx 900 in trade. Sold 400 worth and and now sitting on the rest. He got a great card and I'm sitting on common T-306's. However once they sell, I am ahead of where
I wanted to be. Ask the person I traded with if they think they were being charitable.

I'm done answering your posts. Go play with your Star Wars collection.

buymycards 04-23-2017 06:00 PM

Another way to look at this

Stephen, it looks to me like you are the one taking all of the risk in these transactions. You offered a T205 WOJO, which is an easy sell, for some T206's. Even if the "book value" of the T206's is $1000, it is much more difficult to sell these types of cards than it is to easily flip the WOJO. Some of the T206's will sell quickly, and some will sit on eBay for awhile, and some you will have to sell at a discount. You are the one taking the risk and you are the one who is doing the work of selling and trading multiple lower value cards. I don't know why people are hassling you about this.

Good luck with your quest.

Rick

Huysmans 04-23-2017 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=EYECOLLECTVINTAGE;1653648]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1653644)

My favorite thing in the world is a Internet tough guy. Keep being you buddy. You must be a pleasure to trade with. You seem really reasonable. I have dealt with so many members here buying selling and trading and am confident no one has a problem with the way I do business. I am honest, truthful and most importantly... fair. I guess you don't know what opportunity cost is. Maybe supply and demand as well?

I traded that original Walter Johnson for approx 900 in trade. Sold 400 worth and and now sitting on the rest. He got a great card and I'm sitting on common T-306's. However once they sell, I am ahead of where
I wanted to be. Ask the person I traded with if they think they were being charitable.

I'm done answering your posts. Go play with your Star Wars collection.

All I read was blah, blah...blah. And I think you meant "an" internet tough guy.
YOU'RE the one that doesn't know shit and is always begging others for advice.
...but now you're an expert right?
I'd say go play with your collectables clown, but just like the market, you don't know ANYTHING about them and your opinion is USELESS.
Now let's see if you have ANY integrity, and if your words mean anything to you...
I doubt it though, you'll respond again.

...and who are you to bash Star Wars stuff? After all, its ANOTHER area I'm sure you know nothing about... Shouldn't you start another thread asking what Star Wars is??

Oh, and a lot of Star Wars nerds will be offended reading your post 😜

jhs5120 04-23-2017 06:11 PM

What is currently available for trade?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhs5120 (Post 1653669)
What is currently available for trade?

So glad you asked!! The following is available for trade or sale!

Here is what's left. Gonna give this till Sunday before throwing them up for ebay 7 day auction.

Better Photos:

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/p8gpmjkp.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/84nr4yc2.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/42zs5ex5.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/4054h28m.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/fq141999.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/5jti8h55.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/6r6xx5i8.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/xoji9j8y.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/6yf2444x.JPG

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/86toh41r.JPG

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/eip420xh.JPG

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/4388s0s8.JPG

Snapolit1 04-23-2017 08:14 PM

I guessed correctly that this was going to become a very annoying thread very quickly.

bnorth 04-23-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1653721)
I guessed correctly that this was going to become a very annoying thread very quickly.

Yes it has thanks to all the off topic negative posts. Thanks for your contribution.:D

slidekellyslide 04-23-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1653721)

Skip over it.

Problem solved.

It's just that easy.

Snapolit1 04-23-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1653741)
Skip over it.

Problem solved.

It's just that easy.

Yep. But if anyone wants to trade me their $1000 card for my $500 one, drop me a PM. Will also trade your $100 card for my $20 one.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1653745)
Yep. But if anyone wants to trade me their $1000 card for my $500 one, drop me a PM. Will also trade your $100 card for my $20 one.

Lol oh god

slidekellyslide 04-23-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

I assume you'll be skipping over the thread from this point forward.

nebboy 04-23-2017 09:26 PM

I guess I will chime in.

I'm the one that traded 1st for the T205 Johnson and the trade was handled very well. Cards were mailed next day by both sides and we both seem happy with the trade.

Why.

Well I don't see the t205 Johnson as a $700 or higher card. I put the valuation closer to $500 or just under. But that is a set I am currently working on so I was thinking of moving my low end T206 HOFs, ect to help with my T205 project. When I saw this post I jumped on the trade for 3 reasons.

1. I checked back on my records for what I had into the cards I was willing to trade. The better ones I had received in a trade much like this one, for vintage hockey cards I didn't really want, that I got lucky on e-bay buy (only had $34.43) in the lot. The guy didn't want prewar and I got rid of a lot of nice 70s hockey.
Also another $142.76 in cards I bought over that last few years. So I'm out of pocket less that $180.00 for a VG-T205 Johnson, at least in my way of thinking.

2. I was happy to move that lot of lower level HOFs and commons as a lot instead of one at a time. 1 big name single card would be easier for me to trade in a later date for something.

3. I was hopping the trader was really itching to get his 1st trade done and go for this trade which I viewed as a win for me, and fit his primus for a win for him.

Trading at least for me isn't always all about $$$$, it's if I'm happier with what I got than what I had. I guess I'm more of a collector. A good trade can be based on a lot of diffent reasons.

Good luck to EVERYONE in your next trade and have FUN collecting!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-23-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nebboy (Post 1653750)
i guess i will chime in.

I'm the one that traded 1st for the t205 johnson and the trade was handled very well. Cards were mailed next day by both sides and we both seem happy with the trade.

Why.

Well i don't see the t205 johnson as a $700 or higher card. I put the valuation closer to $500 or just under. But that is a set i am currently working on so i was thinking of moving my low end t206 hofs, ect to help with my t205 project. When i saw this post i jumped on the trade for 3 reasons.

1. I checked back on my records for what i had into the cards i was willing to trade. The better ones i had received in a trade much like this one, for vintage hockey cards i didn't really want, that i got lucky on e-bay buy (only had $34.43) in the lot. The guy didn't want prewar and i got rid of a lot of nice 70s hockey.
Also another $142.76 in cards i bought over that last few years. So i'm out of pocket less that $180.00 for a vg-t205 johnson, at least in my way of thinking.

2. I was happy to move that lot of lower level hofs and commons as a lot instead of one at a time. 1 big name single card would be easier for me to trade in a later date for something.

3. I was hopping the trader was really itching to get his 1st trade done and go for this trade which i viewed as a win for me, and fit his primus for a win for him.

trading at least for me isn't always all about $$$$, it's if i'm happier with what i got than what i had. I guess i'm more of a collector. A good trade can be based on a lot of diffent reasons.

Good luck to everyone in your next trade and have fun collecting!

+10000000

orly57 04-23-2017 09:32 PM

Can everyone leave this poor guy alone. He isn't trying to scam anyone. He is trying a fun project that he wants to share with fellow card collectors. I, for one, would gladly trade him a card that is higher in price for one that I want more. If I had some psa 10 third-year card of a mid-tier hall of famer, I would gladly trade it for a card I covet that may be "worth" 15-20% less. What should I do instead? Put it up for sale and wait for a guy who happens to be putting together an all-psa 10 1973 Topps set to pay me 10k? Or should I put it up on PWCC and PRAY it hits 10k so I can get 9k after pwcc gets their cut? I prefer the card I covet. I think this is the type of scenario he is getting at. But you guys are destroying him like he is trying to pull a fast one, when the very title of the thread is telling you precisely what he is trying to do. I wish him well.

slidekellyslide 04-23-2017 10:01 PM

Exactly. I am not much of a reader of other forums, but do recall stumbling across the thread on the PSA board where a guy was doing the same exact thing and it was fun to watch (I even put the thread in my bookmarks so I could follow it without having to search for it), and he wasn't getting any grief at all.

Leave it to Net54 though.....

1952boyntoncollector 04-24-2017 05:26 AM

Noone here will argue that a someone putting in sweat equity to make a profit is a bad thing, quite the opposite. Others dont care about going out of their way to help someone. There were other various issues that some posters here criticized. However i still do not know why people curse (not accusing eyecollectvintage) on a baseball hobby forum..makes no sense.

PhillipAbbott79 04-24-2017 06:04 AM

Doesn't this belong in the BST? :cool: :p

Snapolit1 04-24-2017 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1653753)
Can everyone leave this poor guy alone. He isn't trying to scam anyone. He is trying a fun project that he wants to share with fellow card collectors. I, for one, would gladly trade him a card that is higher in price for one that I want more. If I had some psa 10 third-year card of a mid-tier hall of famer, I would gladly trade it for a card I covet that may be "worth" 15-20% less. What should I do instead? Put it up for sale and wait for a guy who happens to be putting together an all-psa 10 1973 Topps set to pay me 10k? Or should I put it up on PWCC and PRAY it hits 10k so I can get 9k after pwcc gets their cut? I prefer the card I covet. I think this is the type of scenario he is getting at. But you guys are destroying him like he is trying to pull a fast one, when the very title of the thread is telling you precisely what he is trying to do. I wish him well.

Amazing how someone qoes from a dramatic public declaration that they are leaving the board forever to a week later a rollout of a major project that is going to involve seemingly 1000s of posts. Whatever. Best of luck.

1952boyntoncollector 04-24-2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1653790)
Amazing how someone qoes from a dramatic public declaration that they are leaving the board forever to a week later a rollout of a major project that is going to involve seemingly 1000s of posts. Whatever. Best of luck.

The leaving the board forever or selling their collection and getting out of the hobby declaration appears to be a fraternity of several current net54 posters. I am not sure where the chapter meetings are held. :) There should be an icon next to the name when people join that not so exclusive club....

T206Collector 04-24-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1653661)
Stephen, it looks to me like you are the one taking all of the risk in these transactions. You offered a T205 WOJO, which is an easy sell, for some T206's. Even if the "book value" of the T206's is $1000, it is much more difficult to sell these types of cards than it is to easily flip the WOJO. Some of the T206's will sell quickly, and some will sit on eBay for awhile, and some you will have to sell at a discount. You are the one taking the risk and you are the one who is doing the work of selling and trading multiple lower value cards. I don't know why people are hassling you about this.

Good luck with your quest.

Rick

+1

It will be easier to take one card and trade down for parts. That's where the value is, I would guess. You get better value in cards overall because you are willing to accept the transaction costs of time, shipping, etc. I think this could work, but it will certainly take awhile.

I too would like to follow along, but there are a lot of people on here annoyed by the way this is being carried out that are distracting from the value of considering the pursuit, which alone is interesting to me.

Leon 04-24-2017 07:53 AM

A way of cleaning up this thread mess is being considered. The game is fine but the crappy responses in between not so much. Those members being annoyed might eventually be annoyed a lot more :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1653808)
+1

It will be easier to take one card and trade down for parts. That's where the value is, I would guess. You get better value in cards overall because you are willing to accept the transaction costs of time, shipping, etc. I think this could work, but it will certainly take awhile.

I too would like to follow along, but there are a lot of people on here annoyed by the way this is being carried out that are distracting from the value of considering the pursuit, which alone is interesting to me.

Bpm0014 04-24-2017 08:07 AM

Can everyone leave this poor guy alone. He isn't trying to scam anyone. He is trying a fun project that he wants to share with fellow card collectors. I, for one, would gladly trade him a card that is higher in price for one that I want more.

Exactly! He isn't trying to scam anyone! I don't know Stephen at all, but I decided to participate in this fun project. And I'll admit, it went as smoothly as can be. I'm in this hobby simply....as a hobby. If you are in it for the business side of it, isn't the ultimate goal to make money? Or trade up? Or buy low, sell high?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-24-2017 08:57 AM

Whose up for a trade!!! I got the cards! Or offer a price to buy. Let's keep the ball rolling

boysblue 04-24-2017 07:14 PM

Gotta love the enthusiasm of the OP. And he is transparent, and it doesn't appear he is asking for any favours from anybody in his dealings. I don't see why some posters are giving him grief.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-25-2017 02:17 PM

Here is where we stand..

Started with a Walter Johnson T-205 SGC 40.

Turned it into......

T206 Bender, no trees, psa 4 HOF SOLD $150
T206 McGraw, at hip, psa 3 HOF SOLD $110
T206 McGraw, port w/cap psa 2 HOF SOLD $110
T206 Chase, pink, psa3 SOLD $110

So far shipping has ran $23.58 leaving me with $456.42 and the following left for sale or trade.

T206 McGraw, finger air, psa2 HOF
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 Pelty, vert, psa 4.5
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
a very nice raw NM range 62 topps Mays AS card
T-206 Rube Marquard
Honus Wagner Photo

Anyone interested?

Gradedcardman 04-25-2017 02:32 PM

Value

Quote:

If I need that card valued at $500 and I want it at any cost then a $1000 card traded is nothing. I get the card I want and trade a card I apparently don't value as much regardless of the perceived value then its a win win. I got what I wanted and the person who traded with me is also happy. I did this quite a few times on my PD 42 quest. No regrets.

vintagerookies51 04-25-2017 03:07 PM

Getting real tired of the negativity on this board. Stephen isn't asking you to donate to a gofundme for him to get a '52 Mantle. He's announcing a challenging project that he's taking on, just in case anyone is interested in trading. If you're not, move on to a new thread! It's that simple.

By no means is he asking for $1,000 cards in exchange for a $500 card. I participated in this trading, and was very pleased. If someone is looking for a card that doesn't come up for sale often and this guy has it, of course they are going to pay (trade) a premium for it! You're not spending any money, after all.

ullmandds 04-25-2017 03:21 PM

oops wrong thread!

njdunkin1 04-25-2017 03:54 PM

Anything available around 200 liquid value, Stephen? I have a Tenney Hindu T206 that I would love to trade :]

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-25-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdunkin1 (Post 1654367)
Anything available around 200 liquid value, Stephen? I have a Tenney Hindu T206 that I would love to trade :]

Hey PM me!!

irv 04-26-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1653235)
When you purchase a card from someone here or an A/H, do they ask what your plans are with the card?

Odd question, imo, Jake. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 (Post 1654350)
Getting real tired of the negativity on this board. Stephen isn't asking you to donate to a gofundme for him to get a '52 Mantle. He's announcing a challenging project that he's taking on, just in case anyone is interested in trading. If you're not, move on to a new thread! It's that simple.

By no means is he asking for $1,000 cards in exchange for a $500 card. I participated in this trading, and was very pleased. If someone is looking for a card that doesn't come up for sale often and this guy has it, of course they are going to pay (trade) a premium for it! You're not spending any money, after all.

Exactly why I said what said! Stephen, not once, that I read, asked anyone to go out of their way to sell/trade their cards for less value, take a hit, lose, swallow, give up anything in order for him to obtain a 52 Mantle.

If people read it that way and were willing to take a loss on a card(s) in order to help him out, then my hats off to you, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

PhillipAbbott79 04-26-2017 06:25 AM

Direct quote. Post number 1.

"I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

Bpm0014 04-26-2017 06:33 AM

"I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

But isn't that almost everyone's ultimate goal? To trade a $75 card for a $100 card? To feel like they "got a good deal"? Like, that isn't a new concept...

irv 04-26-2017 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 (Post 1654521)
Direct quote. Post number 1.

Like what has been mentioned more than once, if you have a card that you no longer want or see a card that you want more and are willing to trade/sell, then lets do a deal.

I highly doubt anyone has traded/sold him a card and taken a loss in order to help him out with his quest.

Maybe I'm wrong, and like I mentioned, if you did then my hat is off to you as that is truly admirable, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

rats60 04-26-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1654539)
Like what has been mentioned more than once, if you have a card that you no longer want or see a card that you want more and are willing to trade/sell, then lets do a deal.

I highly doubt anyone has traded/sold him a card and taken a loss in order to help him out with his quest.

Maybe I'm wrong, and like I mentioned, if you did then my hat is off to you as that is truly admirable, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

Isn't the whole point of this thread that you have to take a loss to trade with him? So, everyone who trades with him is taking a loss to help him out.

jhs5120 04-26-2017 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1654544)
Isn't the whole point of this thread that you have to take a loss to trade with him? So, everyone who trades with him is taking a loss to help him out.

Imagine you have a lot worth $700-$1,100. This may be a high grade common, a mixed lot of random cards or an obscure issue. You trade that lot to Stephen for a single card worth $750. This may be a single, more liquid card. You are getting a fair trade (albeit on the lower end of the lots worth), but still a fair trade.

Then, Stephen trades that lot worth $700-$1,100 for a single card (or group of liquid cards) worth ~$1,000. He is still making a fair trade. Then Stephen trades his card worth $1,000 for a lot of cards worth $900-$1,500. Still a fair trade. Repeat this process 15-20 times.

No charity, all fair trades and no one is being asked to take a loss. It's a lot of work for Stephen, a ton of fun to watch and even more fun to participate in the trading. Sit back and enjoy my friend, we are all card collectors here.
Jason

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 07:36 AM

It's funny that people can't get the world old concept of trading. When a accountant does a landscapers taxes in return for lawn work, do they sit down and analyze "well I usually charge $3,000 a year for taxes, and you charge $2200 for lawns, so just give me $800 cash and we will call it even". No. Both parties win. The accountant usually charges 3K, however is not paying a penny out of his pocket for his lawn, so it's a clear win for him. While the landscaper is winning, he is still doing all the manual labor which is harder than accounting. In this case I am the landscaper. I am making off on the deal money wise, but people who are trading with me could care less because they are getting what they need. I then must put in the leg work and labor of selling the harder to sell cards.

The fact that I had to waste 10 minutes writing this is what annoys me. It's so obvious. It's trading. I said it once and I'll say it a million times.... A trade doesn't have to be fair if it makes sense.

rats60 04-26-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhs5120 (Post 1654555)
Imagine you have a lot worth $700-$1,100. This may be a high grade common, a mixed lot of random cards or an obscure issue. You trade that lot to Stephen for a single card worth $750. This may be a single, more liquid card. You are getting a fair trade (albeit on the lower end of the lots worth), but still a fair trade.

Then, Stephen trades that lot worth $700-$1,100 for a single card (or group of liquid cards) worth ~$1,000. He is still making a fair trade. Then Stephen trades his card worth $1,000 for a lot of cards worth $900-$1,500. Still a fair trade. Repeat this process 15-20 times.

No charity, all fair trades and no one is being asked to take a loss. It's a lot of work for Stephen, a ton of fun to watch and even more fun to participate in the trading. Sit back and enjoy my friend, we are all card collectors here.
Jason

How is it a fair trade if he is asking for more value than you get back? That is his first condition of trading with him.

irv 04-26-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1654544)

If you had a dupe and it was a tough sell getting the money it once sold for but then seen a card you have coveted for a while and Stephen was interested in your trade, would you not go for it?

Like someone also mentioned, if you had $1000 in mulch that you couldn’t get rid of, would you not trade that for a $800 in gold?

Some will not of course, and that is their choice, but others will as they are tired of either trying to sell the card(s) they own or they see one Stephen has that they want more.

I currently need quite a few 52 Topps cards and if I had some dupes, that, cumulatively, were worth more than a card I have coveted for a while, then I more than likely would do that trade.

jhs5120 04-26-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1654562)
How is it a fair trade if he is asking for more value than you get back? That is his first condition of trading with him.

Not every card has a fixed value, rather a range. Read what I previously wrote. This is a fun thread to watch, there's no need to analyze two adults trading baseball cards.

rats60 04-26-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1654564)
If you had a dupe and it was a tough sell getting the money it once sold for but then seen a card you have coveted for a while and Stephen was interested in your trade, would you not go for it?

Like someone also mentioned, if you had $1000 in mulch that you couldn’t get rid of, would you not trade that for a $800 in gold?

Some will not of course, and that is their choice, but others will as they are tired of either trying to sell the card(s) they own or they see one Stephen has that they want more.

I currently need quite a few 52 Topps cards and if I had some dupes, that, cumulatively, were worth more than a card I have coveted for a while, then I more than likely would do that trade.

I understand someone willing to take a loss to make a trade, but they still aren't getting a fair trade. When the 76ers traded Wilt Chamberlain to the Lakers or the Bucks traded Kareem Abdul Jabbar to the Lakers, did they get fair trades? No, they wanted to move the players so they took less than fair market value to do so.

ullmandds 04-26-2017 08:27 AM

this whole concept of trading for something more/less valuable than what you are trading happens all the time!

with my MILLER run for example...I've traded way more than a dots miller with an unusual back is worth to someone else because the miller is important to me...therefore I will trade up for it.

Similiarly if someone knows they have a "common" you need to complete a set...or a run...or whatever it becomes more valuable than it really is to that person.

No difference to me.

rdixon1208 04-26-2017 08:53 AM

Me too

This is my real life situation: I have a card worth about $225 - $265. It's not really worth consigning....it's just the one card. If I sell it on ebay and get a fair price then I'll bring home $215 or so after fees. I would happily trade that card for a card(s) that's worth around $200, and I wouldn't feel like I "lost".

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdixon1208 (Post 1654600)
This is my real life situation: I have a card worth about $225 - $265. It's not really worth consigning....it's just the one card. If I sell it on ebay and get a fair price then I'll bring home $215 or so after fees. I would happily trade that card for a card(s) that's worth around $200, and I wouldn't feel like I "lost".

What card? Holler at me!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 08:56 AM

Ok let's do this...

The rube T-206 is available for 33 delivered today or else it's on eBay tomorrow.

Let's make a quick deal.

KingFisk 04-26-2017 10:16 AM

Stephen, I would suggest also posting your wares in the BST for those who may not be following this project specifically and may be interested in acquiring what you've got.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFisk (Post 1654626)
Stephen, I would suggest also posting your wares in the BST for those who may not be following this project specifically and may be interested in acquiring what you've got.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great Idea!

PhillipAbbott79 04-26-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1654559)
It's funny that people can't get the world old concept of trading. When a accountant does a landscapers taxes in return for lawn work, do they sit down and analyze "well I usually charge $3,000 a year for taxes, and you charge $2200 for lawns, so just give me $800 cash and we will call it even". No. Both parties win. The accountant usually charges 3K, however is not paying a penny out of his pocket for his lawn, so it's a clear win for him. While the landscaper is winning, he is still doing all the manual labor which is harder than accounting. In this case I am the landscaper. I am making off on the deal money wise, but people who are trading with me could care less because they are getting what they need. I then must put in the leg work and labor of selling the harder to sell cards.

The fact that I had to waste 10 minutes writing this is what annoys me. It's so obvious. It's trading. I said it once and I'll say it a million times.... A trade doesn't have to be fair if it makes sense.

Your analogy works for trading dissimilar items. Let's take a look at trading work. Bob and Joe are both plumbers who own their own business. Bob helps Joe out for 8 hours, Joe pays him 200 dollars for his time. Joe is asked to help Bob out for 8 hours and only gets 150 dollars for his time. Would they both consider that fair trade?

You are trading a baseball card, for many baseball cards. Ok. There is time, money, energy, liquidity, etc. Everybody understands that. However, you also would trade, 1 for 1, if the values were dissimilar. Generally also, not really an issue, for people that are not concerned about dollar value.

There are people here, that do care about dollar value, and those are the people that you are on here arguing with.

Their point is something like this: Examine both of these statements:
I really need a truck so I can make a living. I have no idea what it is worth, but that doesn't matter. I have a really great computer I would trade someone for a truck.

vs

I can't afford a truck that I really want because it is to expensive. Will you trade me your truck for my computer?

Your first inclination is to ask, what is the computer worth in both scenarios, but one emphasizes the money aspect, rather than the trade benefit aspect.

The problem is not what you are doing. It is how you went about presenting it, regardless of how sincere and innocent you thought you were being about it, and where you posted it at IMO.

For the record, I don't care either way. I am simply pointing out the sides of the equation.

RedsFan1941 04-26-2017 10:54 AM

you should post about this in the autograph, memorabilia, postwar section and water cooler sections too. Never know where a trade might start from.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1654644)
you should post about this in the autograph, memorabilia, postwar section and water cooler sections too. Never know where a trade might start from.

Totally agree. But is that allowed?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 11:29 AM

Update

UPDATE!! RUBE T-206 SOLD!

TODAY ONLY!! Will sell Wagner Photo for $45 DLVD PP FF. PM ME

Turned it into......

T-206 Rube Marquard SOLD $33

T206 McGraw, finger air, psa2 HOF TRADED
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF TRADED
Plus $15.00

FOR

T206 Tenney Hindu Back SGC 10 DEAL PENDING

So far shipping has ran me $31.58 leaving me with $466.42 and the following cards/photos left for sale or trade.

T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
a very nice raw NM range 62 topps Mays AS card
Honus Wagner Photo

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-26-2017 12:39 PM

About to pull off the first ever 3 way deal in the Ultimate Trade up so stay tuned! HAHA First trade is pulled and is reflected above.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-27-2017 07:12 AM

Turned it into......

T-206 Rube Marquard SOLD $33

T206 McGraw, finger air, psa2 HOF TRADED
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF TRADED
Plus $15.00

FOR

T206 Tenney Hindu Back SGC 10 TRADED

FOR

1964 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG 5 AVAILABLE
1962 Topps Switch Hitter Mantle PSA 5 AVAILABLE
1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC SGC 60 AVAILABLE

So far shipping has ran me $37.58, leaving me with $460.42 and the following cards/photos left for sale or trade.

T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
1964 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG 5
1962 Topps Switch Hitter Mantle PSA 5
1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC SGC 60
1962 topps Mays AS card RAW NM
Honus Wagner Original Photo

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/y6ef5eh8.jpg

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/ulphy6h5.jpg

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-27-2017 11:48 AM

Anyone? Let's rock!!!!!!

gemmint77 04-27-2017 12:16 PM

How much for the Pelty T206? Thanks

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-27-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemmint77 (Post 1655144)
how much for the pelty t206? Thanks

pm sent

nat 04-27-2017 12:47 PM

I really don't know what the Johnson was worth. Are you ahead so far?