Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=125571)

jrog007 07-09-2010 08:52 PM

The National

What tips would you give to a person who will be attending his first national show? What is recommended as far as tickets? Is there anything that a person should make sure to attend, etc.? How about the autograph guests and prices? What is your best bang for the buck on things that will be available not counting the cards that one is collecting?

DixieBaseball 07-09-2010 10:31 PM

National...

If you can make Wednesday, they are giving away free game tix to Angels v Orioles game later that night... ( I like buying the tickets online in advance to shave off a few bucks)

jrog007 07-09-2010 10:50 PM

So, do you buy general admission tickets or do you buy one of the packages?

DixieBaseball 07-10-2010 09:22 AM

Tix

For me it GA due to scheduling... I always come in for Wed - Fri (Fly in Wed day, Fly out Fri night). If you are in for the whole week, the pkgs are a good choice. Really depends on your schedule.

jrog007 07-10-2010 09:28 AM

I will be there for the whole show. I am thinking about the SuperVIP package. That seems like the best deal for what I plan to do.

B O'Brien 07-10-2010 09:32 AM

I hear they keep the crabs in the Super VIP room.
Good luck to all at the show,
Bob

Jewish-collector 07-10-2010 07:35 PM

Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight,a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for suckers who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced crap to show after show.

Also, do get together with other collectors & dealers. It's a great way to put some faces to the names of the Net54 members. People can be quite different face to face than they are on the forum.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy anything.

Alan

jrog007 07-10-2010 11:36 PM

Alan,
Thanks for taking the time to provide some great information.
Jim

Rich Klein 07-11-2010 06:53 AM

Alan wont be purchasing any cards

At the show; instead he'll be having his beers (or other liquids) with everyone that posts on this board :)

Nah; in all seriousness, the other piece of advice for a one-day visitor to the National if is you see something you must have and the price is right; pull the trigger immediately -- otherwise you might not

1) Remember where you saw the item

2) The dealer may very well have sold the item/not be at the table

Rich

David W 07-11-2010 11:55 AM

I've been to 3 Nationals, 2 in Chicago and 1 in Cleveland.

I only had time to spend one day, so as others have said, take a notebook, and jot down the table number where you saw something you might want, or you will have great difficulty finding it again.

Take something to put your cards in like a satchel or camera bag.

If I could I'd try to spend 2 days.

jrog007 07-11-2010 12:19 PM

I actually plan to be there for the entire week (5 Days).

Peter_Spaeth 07-11-2010 05:45 PM

In addition to the supplies suggest by Alan, bring a first-aid kit.

Rob D. 07-11-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 822372)
In addition to the supplies suggest by Alan, bring a first-aid kit.

And drawn butter for the crabs.

Peter_Spaeth 07-11-2010 06:44 PM

Penicillin.

calvindog 07-11-2010 07:21 PM

Um, not that I would have any personal knowledge on such a topic but I can state with total certainty that penicillin does not help with the crabs.