Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Writing on Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=132929)

mintacular 02-03-2011 09:31 PM

Writing on Cards

Every once in a while I stumble upon writing on cards and it reminds me that at one time vintage baseball cards were nothing more than mementos and there was no monetary value attached to these cards....Certaintly kids during the 50s 60s were not considering what their cards would "pop" if submitted to a TPG...Here is one that I just saw...Anyone else come across writing on a card that shows how the hobby once was? What kinds of writing were kids doing on cards during this time? I've seen facial hair and as below usually a note about a player being traded...Anything else? Thanks for sharing as a collector starting in the 80s writing on cards was not part of my experience.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...llpm/Maris.jpg

k-dog 02-03-2011 09:35 PM

I can't remember what card it was...but I did see where someone had taken either pencil or a dark crayon and made a baseball diamond around the player, including the pitcher's mound and home plate. It was actually very very cool looking! :)

ALR-bishop 02-03-2011 10:33 PM

writing on cards

I started collecting in the 50s. Before I got into collecting sets I did teams. When there was not a card for a player I needed on a team I would rub out the name on a card and write in the name of the guy I needed

steve B 02-04-2011 06:59 AM

Pretty much anything that would amuse a kid could get added. Beards, glasses, fangs, devil horns, stoner pinwheel eyes.....

I bought a collection years ago from someone my mother worked with. When they asked a few days later what I thought of it I told them they had 2 boys, the younger one who was tidy and neat and prefered football, and another about 2 years older who was a bit sloppy, had an odd sense of humor and prefered baseball. Also guessed the ages within a year.

It was like looking at two totally different collections.

My own efforts were with the exacto knife, and ended up with a couple 78 Topps standups. I also rebacked them with typewritten "Todds gum company" backs. I still have one of them somewhere.

Steve B

hangman62 02-04-2011 07:14 AM

card writing

Being a lesser condition collector,Over the years Ive had many cards with wrtting in my collection, from the minor ( a kids intials on the back,a slight adjustment to the players stats,etc..) to the very creative and painful ( the beards,and glasses,the changing of the players team,etc)
I once had a huge group of 1963T cards in great shape with the exception of a rubber stamped " WILLIAM WHITE" on the front and back of every card., They were tough to look at.

mrmantlecollector 02-07-2011 05:23 PM

writing on cards

Heres one of mine. Not only did they write red sox on the card it also was pinned up.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...iams/IMG-2.jpg

hangman62 02-07-2011 06:49 PM

Calling " William Willie" please come pick up your ballcard

1 Attachment(s)
Quite nice shape..except for a bit of ink

SMPEP 02-08-2011 02:16 PM

I actually have a series of about 100 1933 Goudey cards (including HOFers) that someone cut to the size of tobacco cards and added a black border to. When the orignal artist had multiples of teh same card - he sometimes changed the uniforms, hats, wrong different names on front.

Never taken any pictures of them (but will if there's a request).

And if anyone ever sees anymore of these ... LET ME KNOW. I'll add them to my collection.

hangman62 02-08-2011 03:15 PM

33 Goudey

SMPEP,
I have a few extra 33G cards including a Gehrig, Id gladly cut it down to T size in hopes of making a trade, Let me know
Ral G

SMPEP 02-08-2011 03:21 PM

Okay, I suppose I should have said ... please don't further deface any cards ... but if you happen to already have them in this condition ... let me know.

Cheers,
Patrick

hangman62 02-08-2011 03:39 PM

33g

Patrick,
your a little to late ,Ive already trimmed down the Gehrig for you :)
Ral G

SMPEP 02-08-2011 04:35 PM

Well, we can rebuild him. Make him stronger than before (insert six Million Dollar Man sound effects here ...)

Cheers,
patrick

David W 02-08-2011 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some of my artwork when I was a kid. We all marked our cards
with our initials so no one would steal them. The card we really
liked we put our whole name on. I must have traded with "S"
because I crossed him out, and put a nice big "D".

k-dog 02-08-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W (Post 870031)
Some of my artwork when I was a kid. We all marked our cards
with our initials so no one would steal them. The card we really
liked we put our whole name on. I must have traded with "S"
because I crossed him out, and put a nice big "D".

Yeah SURE David....those marks look pretty recent! :D

David W 02-09-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-dog (Post 870036)
Yeah SURE David....those marks look pretty recent! :D

LOL - I wonder what they would grade..... .PSA 1 (MK)???????

ls7plus 02-25-2011 11:45 AM

A couple of years ago, I went ahead and bought a 1947 Tip Top Bread Ralph Kiner from Steve Verkman (who quite correctly described the card's condition) with writing on the face of the card, "51 homeruns in 1947." The card also looked like it had been carried around in a prior owner's wallet for some time, with creases covering its surface. I purchased it only because I had been after this card for about a decade, and this was the only one I had seen offered that was not part of a much larger lot in something like an REA auction, but now I'm rather glad I did. It's fascinating in a way to include an item in your collection that was rather obviously treasured by the prior owner back in someone like Kiner's heyday (7 straight homerun titles, twice over 50 in a single season--previously done only by Ruth, Foxx, Mantle and Mays, I believe--as well as a ton of RBI's and runs scored, to go with a .400 lifetime on base %)
Kiner was always a favorite of mine, and I have to admit, I've carried the card around too at times in a protective holder.
Sorry I'm so late at joining the thread,

Larry