Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   HOF Golden Era Ballot (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=143356)

bigtrain 11-03-2011 12:19 PM

HOF Golden Era Ballot

The Hall of Fame has announced those eligible to be elected by the Golden Era Committee when they meet in December. The players are Ron Santo, Allie Reynolds, Luis Tiant, Minnie Minoso, Jim Kaat, Gil Hodges, Tony Oliva and Ken Boyer. Buzzie Bavasi and Chalie Finley are on the ballot as executives.
It should be very tough to get 75%, 12 OF 16 votes. Predictions?

barrysloate 11-03-2011 02:29 PM

Prediction: Gil Hodges finally gets in.

glchen 11-03-2011 02:43 PM

I'll go Santo, Kaat, and Hodges.

judsonhamlin 11-03-2011 05:42 PM

I'll go for Hodges, Oliva and (maybe) Boyer.

Orioles1954 11-03-2011 06:18 PM

I'll go for just Hodges.

39special 11-03-2011 06:30 PM

Hodges and Santo

bigred1 11-10-2011 08:35 PM

Kaat and Hodges

ScottR81 11-11-2011 01:49 PM

Ronnie Santo!

Runscott 11-12-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottR81 (Post 938802)
Ronnie Santo!

I think you're right. If he's getting in, it's this year.

Exhibitman 11-13-2011 07:02 AM

Hodges? We don't need no stinkin' Hodges!

Sorry.

NO:

T.Oliva, L.Tiant, J. Kaat. All a notch below IMO. Tony O was a pair of knees away. Tiant and Kaat are in the hall of very, very good. I did not support Blyleven and he was a better pitcher than either of them.

YES:

Charlie Finley: baseball owes a lot to Charlie O: yellow balls, moustaches and free agency [because he was an ass], not to mention the Herb Washington runner card fron 1975 Topps. Charlie O made the game fun.

Buzzie Bavasi: hugely successful GM for the Dodgers and a key player in the integration of the game.

G.Hodges: Based on both his playing record and his managerial record.

R. Santo: A friggin' travesty he isn't in already.

MAYBE:

M.Minoso: I'm on the fence over him. He had a few seasons of Negro League ball but it isn't by any means clear that he was screwed by racism. He was only 23 when he made his MLB debut and was sent down for 2 years of PCL play after hitting around .200 so his time in Cuba and the NL could well be construed as time in the minors. He was full time in MLB by age 25. He was a hell of a character and definitely spanned the experience of the black/Latin ballplayers and had a long career coaching as well, so I wouldn't complain about him being honored.

A.Reynolds: Another wobbler. Brilliant pitcher but not for long enough, IMO.

K. Boyer: Another in the weakest HOF position, very strong both at bat and in the field, but can we put him into the HOF based in part on fielding when he wasn't even the best fielder in his family?

Kenny Cole 11-16-2011 10:23 PM

I think Hodges will get in this year. Guys who come close in the BBWAA vote almost always do and Hodges had over 60%. I would be incredibly surprised if Santo didn't make it as well. Too bad he won't be there to enjoy it.

Personally, I would also vote for Oliva. He was a stud until his knees went bad -- one of the most feared hitters of the 1960's. I've always liked Boyer and he is not much different than Santo, although I'd rate Santo a touch higher. I'm on the fence about him, but can see the argument for his induction. As far as executives go, Bavasi was pretty salty. I'm fairly indifferent insofar as executives are concerned, but it wouldn't give me any heartburn if he were to be elected. I wouldn't elect any of the pitchers although I think that Allie Reynolds, having the Yankee factor in his favor, will probably garner fairly significant support.

familytoad 12-03-2011 07:35 PM

Hodges in the museum

I had a long diatribe typed out with my iPAD keys but somehow lost it all...hope this shorter one sticks.
It is only a couple more days until the ballot is revealed. It is potential big news for HOF collectors (like me)
Since I heard this line a couple weeks ago, I have been thinking more about the HOF..."it's only a museum"
This line stuck with me and now I think I could be persuaded to consider more stars into the HOF.
Reserve an upper echelon for the Ruth and Gehrig types if you must,but put in the guys who really made a mark on the game during their era!!
Gil Hodges is one of those guys.
Ron Santo is too...
I'm really looking forward to Monday's vote.
I won't mind a bit if it means I have a couple more famous ballplayers added to my collection list:D

HRBAKER 12-04-2011 03:42 PM

keep thinking to myself there is some reason Hodges hasn't gotten in for 50 years. It's not like he was one of these insolent don't get along with the media type guys. Byall accounts he was a super guy, great teammate and exceptional player. He did manage the Miracle Mets to a Worlds Championship as well.

bcbgcbrcb 12-04-2011 05:31 PM

My thought is that Ron Santo finally gets in, Hodges is a possibility, Boyer less likely. Those are the only three real candidates that I see.

Chris Counts 12-05-2011 11:09 AM

I'm thrilled Ron Santo finally got in, but I'm bummed about Minnie Minoso falling three votes short. I'm still waiting for a good argument against his induction. Sorry, but "he didn't play long enough" or "he didn't hit enough home runs" doesn't cut it ...

Runscott 12-05-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 944749)
I'm thrilled Ron Santo finally got in, but I'm bummed about Minnie Minoso falling three votes short. I'm still waiting for a good argument against his induction. Sorry, but "he didn't play long enough" or "he didn't hit enough home runs" doesn't cut it ...

He wasn't great?

Robextend 12-05-2011 12:49 PM

I know sometimes there is more to the numbers, but how does a 298AVG, 186HR, 1023RBI, 1136Runs, 205SB constitue a HOF career?

4 seasons of over 100RBI, 5 seasons of over 100Runs scored, never had more than 184 hits in a season. He wasn't anywhere close to dominating his position in his era. Very good player, yes. Great player...no.

EDITED TO ADD: Referring to Minnie Minoso

novakjr 12-05-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robextend (Post 944804)
I know sometimes there is more to the numbers, but how does a 298AVG, 186HR, 1023RBI, 1136Runs, 205SB constitue a HOF career?

4 seasons of over 100RBI, 5 seasons of over 100Runs scored, never had more than 184 hits in a season. He wasn't anywhere close to dominating his position in his era. Very good player, yes. Great player...no.

Those numbers when taken alone don't seem all that great, until you take into account that he was a 3B with 5 gold gloves, 9 All Star games, and finished top 8 in MVP voting 4 times(top 5 twice).... Also, keep in mind that his stats were compiled primarily during a pitcher's era..

Runscott 12-05-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robextend (Post 944804)

Well, it downright slaughters Ozzie Smith, who I also wouldn't have voted in.

He really just needs more of the types who voted for Rizzuto and Reese.

Robextend 12-05-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 944842)
Those numbers when taken alone don't seem all that great, until you take into account that he was a 3B with 5 gold gloves, 9 All Star games, and finished top 8 in MVP voting 4 times(top 5 twice).... Also, keep in mind that his stats were compiled primarily during a pitcher's era..

Sorry David I didn't make it clear, I was talking about Minoso, not Santo. I agree that Santo should be in.

novakjr 12-05-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robextend (Post 944942)
Sorry David I didn't make it clear, I was talking about Minoso, not Santo. I agree that Santo should be in.

My bad, I should've been paying closer attention to the exact numbers.. Minoso is borderline at best. I'd prefer he stay out, but I guess I could live with it if he were to get in..