Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dodger Ticket Assistance (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=153977)

MacDice 07-17-2012 08:34 AM

Dodger Ticket Assistance

Sorry Leon, I know this is in the wrong section but I wanted to post it here because I think this section has the most traffic thus the best chance that someone might be able to help me out.

If any Net54er’s are in the LA area and are going to Tuesday night’s Dodgers vs. Phillies game please let me know if I can get your ticket stub(s). One of my former players is scheduled to make his MLB debut tonight for the Dodgers and I can’t get down to LA in time for the game (limited last second flights are not cheap). If anyone can help me out please send me a PM. I would prefer season ticket stock for the ticket but will take what I can get.

Thank you in advance.

Leon 07-17-2012 09:04 AM

This is a perfectly acceptable off topic. Our board is here primarily to help each other and help the hobby.

barrysloate 07-17-2012 09:08 AM

MacDice- when you say "one of your former players", what is your connection to him? I think there is a good story here.

Wite3 07-17-2012 09:39 AM

Darn,
going tomorrow...guess your ex-player is the TBD pitcher for today...

Joshua

barrysloate 07-17-2012 09:47 AM

Somebody named Ely is scheduled to pitch tonight.

MacDice 07-17-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1015139)
MacDice- when you say "one of your former players", what is your connection to him? I think there is a good story here.

His name is Stephen Fife, I was one of his assistance coach's his freshman year at Everett (Washington) CC in 2006. He played for us for one season before transferring to the University of Utah where he was drafted by the Red Sox and then traded at the deadline last year to the Dodgers in the three way deal with the Mariners that included Eric Bedard. During his junior year, he caught the attention of MLB scouts after a strong performance in a game against SDSU where Strasburg (who was only a sophomore) had 23 strikeouts.

The Dodgers pulled him from his Triple-A start last night around 4:45 in the event that they needed him today but did not offically let him know until late last night that he was going to the show. We were texting a lot yesterday while he was waiting for the news. At the point that he was notified, I could not make the arrangements to make it to LA. The good thing is that his mom and his fiance just got to LA and I think that his dad is one his way as well.

chaddurbin 07-17-2012 02:39 PM

fife is already on the 40-man roster so he gets to pitch since the dodgers didn't want to shuffle players around to get ely up. might be fife's only shot if billingsley is not going to the dl.

edit: and billingsley is from defiance, oh...where the swamp find was found to get this thread board approved

barrysloate 07-17-2012 02:43 PM

Great story and I wish him luck tonight...although since I am a S.F. Giants fan perhaps not too much luck.:)

MacDice 07-17-2012 10:03 PM

6.0 innings, one earned run in the first inning and left with a 2-1 lead. Will take it.

barrysloate 07-18-2012 04:41 AM

Yes, very nice debut last night. He pitched a beauty.

Jay Wolt 07-18-2012 07:06 AM

Its a shame he didn't get a win. The Dodgers blew the 2-1 lead in the 8th inning and lost 3-2.
And he outpitched Roy Halladay though they both got a no decision.
Hopefully the Dodgers have enough faith in him to keep him in the rotation & keep him up in the bigs.

chaddurbin 07-18-2012 09:37 AM

only 1 strike out in 6 innings is not good, he may've gotten a lil lucky but deserved to win.

Jaybird 07-18-2012 04:48 PM

His curveball looked great.

doug.goodman 07-18-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1015460)
only 1 strike out in 6 innings is not good, he may've gotten a lil lucky but deserved to win.

Yep, and he allowed only one run, too.

If the kid averages one strikeout every six innings he pitches, and matches it with an average of one run for every six innings pitched for the rest of his career, you won't hear anybody complaining.

Doug

BleedinBlue 07-19-2012 08:59 AM

And away he goes

I always find it humorous to see a kid come up, pitch a good game and then get sent back down to the minors right after the game. The Dodgers expect to make a trade for a starting pitcher before this spot in the rotation comes up again so Fife was sent back down to AAA right after the game. At least he got into the game. So far the Dodgers have called up two different pitchers and had them sit in the bullpen during their entire cup of coffee and never got them into a game.

MacDice 07-22-2012 08:22 PM

I would like to give a special thanks to Net54'er "T206Collector", for helping me out on this one.

http://net54baseball.com/picture.php...pictureid=7441

pariah1107 07-22-2012 09:30 PM

Congrats to Stephen Fife, and family. Nice outing. Great name for a western Washington pitcher. Probably would have ruled the headlines if he had played in the Puyallup valley. Also, nice job coaching him up MacDice. More outings like that and the young man has a long future in the majors.

doug.goodman 07-27-2012 05:49 PM

Fife is going tonight in SF vs Matt Cain.

I wonder if any other pitcher has ever started their career with two starts against perfect game pitchers?

Doug

MacDice 07-27-2012 10:49 PM

Another strong performance. Should be 2-0 but the bullpen can't hold a lead for him