Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So this "person" contacted me.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=155426)

ruth-gehrig 08-16-2012 09:00 PM

So this "person" contacted me....

So I got a response from an ad I placed in a city about 2 hrs away from me.

Seller: "Hey want to buy base ball cards late 50s early late 90s?"

Me: "I prefer the older ones 1950s-1960s. Where you located?"

Seller: "West Tulsa. Whats ur number and I will cal you."

Me: I gave him my number and he left a voice mail saying he had a Steve Garvey from 1948 and some other stuff that didn't make much sense. It's obviously a young boy about 12 years old on the phone. I emailed him back and told him Garvey was born in 1948 so he's probably just looking at the back of the card incorrectly.

Seller: "Can you come look at baseball cards?"

Me: "I would if you weren't 2 hours away."

The whole interaction made me smile and just brought me back to a simpler time. Oh how I wish I was 12 again and could have told him I would be right over on my bike. I can vividly remember how excited I got about cards when I was growing up. When we were kids growing up collecting cards and we didn't have any other care in the world. It was great! No job, no bills, no car payments, no stressers in life. Just fun and just cards! Those were great times:) It was really neat for such a young kid today to hear his excitement and enthusiasm for collecting. How many 12 years old have heard of Steve Garvey?:eek: The whole thing made my day;)

Jewish-collector 08-16-2012 09:11 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OjJUNh8QATw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tbob 08-16-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1026871)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OjJUNh8QATw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP Dennis and Carl Wilson.
Thanks for the memories from THE American Band.

barrysloate 08-17-2012 07:46 AM

Who is the Beach Boy on the far left of that photo? And is that Dennis in the middle? That's a very early clip, did they have a different guitarist other than Carl? Great song!

rainier2004 08-17-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1026863)
So I got a response from an ad I placed in a city about 2 hrs away from me.

Seller: "Hey want to buy base ball cards late 50s early late 90s?"

Me: "I prefer the older ones 1950s-1960s. Where you located?"

Seller: "West Tulsa. Whats ur number and I will cal you."

Me: I gave him my number and he left a voice mail saying he had a Steve Garvey from 1948 and some other stuff that didn't make much sense. It's obviously a young boy about 12 years old on the phone. I emailed him back and told him Garvey was born in 1948 so he's probably just looking at the back of the card incorrectly.

Seller: "Can you come look at baseball cards?"

Me: "I would if you weren't 2 hours away."

The whole interaction made me smile and just brought me back to a simpler time. Oh how I wish I was 12 again and could have told him I would be right over on my bike. I can vividly remember how excited I got about cards when I was growing up. When we were kids growing up collecting cards and we didn't have any other care in the world. It was great! No job, no bills, no car payments, no stressers in life. Just fun and just cards! Those were great times:) It was really neat for such a young kid today to hear his excitement and enthusiasm for collecting. How many 12 years old have heard of Steve Garvey?:eek: The whole thing made my day;)

Nice post Michael! :D

sycks22 08-17-2012 11:32 AM

How weird would that be if a grown adult shows up and some 6th grader shows up and says "now let's look at those cards." Their parents would be creeped out. It's sweet that he didn't tell you he had a super refractor numbered to 7 of Eric Hosmer

White Borders 08-17-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1026973)
Who is the Beach Boy on the far left of that photo? And is that Dennis in the middle? That's a very early clip, did they have a different guitarist other than Carl? Great song!

Barry,

David Marks is on the far left - he was guitarist in the early 60's. Yes, that's Denny Wilson in the middle.

Best Regards
Craig

barrysloate 08-17-2012 11:57 AM

Thanks Craig. Never heard of David Marks. I'll have to google him.

theuclakid 08-17-2012 12:14 PM

beach boys

Barry, David Marks replaced Al Jardine in 1962 so Al could continue college studies, then Al replaced David Marks in 1963 at Brian's request....In recent years David Marks has again been a member of the Beach Boys, touring for the 40th anniversary of Pet Sounds and more recently for the 50th anniversary tour of the Band....to be sure, their history is quite complicated (as are many bands)....Bruce Perry

barrysloate 08-17-2012 12:27 PM

Thanks Bruce. I googled him and got the story. I look at a lot of youtube clips but that was the first one I saw with Marks.

Bocabirdman 08-17-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theuclakid (Post 1027066)
Barry, David Marks replaced Al Jardine in 1962 so Al could continue college studies, then Al replaced David Marks in 1963 at Brian's request....In recent years David Marks has again been a member of the Beach Boys, touring for the 40th anniversary of Pet Sounds and more recently for the 50th anniversary tour of the Band....to be sure, their history is quite complicated (as are many bands)....Bruce Perry

And let us not forget Glen Campbell and Daryl Dragon's (the Captain of The Captain and Tennille) participation in the later 60's.....