Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Piedmont Tobacco Print - UPDATE (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169214)

John V 05-23-2013 06:34 AM

Piedmont Tobacco Print - UPDATE

1 Attachment(s)
This framed print/poster measures about 21" by 15". Printed in the bottom left corner is Copyright 1908. Can anyone help me on the value of these?
Thanks, John

3-2-count 05-23-2013 06:51 AM

Hi John,
I've been purchasing similar pieces lately in the range of $325 to $375 bucks, leaning towards the higher side if the print is in it's original frame.

1880nonsports 05-23-2013 07:57 AM

well

retail I'd say 450. - 550. and you take it from there. There are quite a few different ones for the major ATC names relating to brands associated with insert cards - I can think of 6/7 different for the Piedmont brand - in addition to the 2/3 I have. Thematically they appear more "serious" or mature than those of Sweet Caporal - another equally popular brand. As for finding one in the original frame - especially if it has attribution in it - or is particularly ornate - I might pay up to a 25% premium. I have quite a few card related advertising pieces to provide ancillary support for my card collection. The problems begin when one is a completist - these things take up a bit more space than a card :-)

John V 05-23-2013 08:46 AM

To my untrained eye, this appears to be authentic. Are these known to have reproductions floating about?

3-2-count 05-23-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1880nonsports (Post 1135095)
retail I'd say 450. - 550. and you take it from there. There are quite a few different ones for the major ATC names relating to brands associated with insert cards - I can think of 6/7 different for the Piedmont brand - in addition to the 2/3 I have. Thematically they appear more "serious" or mature than those of Sweet Caporal - another equally popular brand. As for finding one in the original frame - especially if it has attribution in it - or is particularly ornate - I might pay up to a 25% premium. I have quite a few card related advertising pieces to provide ancillary support for my card collection. The problems begin when one is a completist - these things take up a bit more space than a card :-)

I must be one heck of a bargain shopper, because I've not paid $450/$550 (retail) for any of my similar displays. ;) These are not hard to find and come up for sale quite often. One just needs to be patient and not over pay.

Bridwell 05-23-2013 08:59 PM

Piedmont

That's a really nice one. I could see it selling for over $400.

1880nonsports 05-23-2013 11:56 PM

Tony

patience is often rewarded and I appreciate that you are a prudent buyer. There are always good buys in any collectible environment - best equation the motivated seller and responsive buyer. I stand by what I said for any number of reasons not the least of which is that I have quite a bit of experience with the subject. I can expand on my valuation if you really want me too - but it's boring. That being said I encourage discussion and accept others might see things differently than I do. I'd love to see pictures of your tobacco posters as I'm all about tobacco and old enough that I won't get to see it all - but young enough to hope I can get close.......... BTW - presumably you didn't set out to buy a specific piece - and I'm sure you felt you were paying under retail when you negotiated the final price of what you liked. Impulse buys are often more expensive and more likely to be at or above retail - all things being even - so a retail valuation @ 35% above the prices you quoted doesn't seem so far-fetched.

drc 05-24-2013 12:27 AM

That is nice.

John V 06-13-2013 07:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So, I decided to open the frame to clean the glass and see what else I might find. Having no experience with these, I was surprised to find the print mounted on a type of cardboard, a little less than 1/8" thick. I was afraid I would be dealing with a thin, fragile poster.
For those of you familiar, would you say this is how they were originally produced, or is the mount from a later time?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
John

1880nonsports 06-13-2013 09:49 AM

no question

it's as issued. Lots of different stock was used by many different companies in producing advertising of the period.

1880nonsports 06-13-2013 09:54 AM

btw

don't throw away the glass as the old - if original glass is a minor plus or rather not a negative :-) Only problem is it isn't UVA, UVB proof and if the sign is in a lot of natural light - or flourescent lighting fading will occur over time proportional to the amount of exposure. It can be very subtle and hard to see in the short run.....