Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shibe Park Official Scorebook w/ Negro League games (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171358)

ramram 06-26-2013 12:10 PM

Shibe Park Official Scorebook w/ Negro League games

2 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd share my latest scorebook find. It contains dozens of games from the end of the 1945 season and first half of 1946. It appears to be the official scorer's book for Shibe Park in Philadelphia. It has the home games for the Phillies and the A's. The cool part is that it also has several games between the Negro League teams including the Philadelphia Stars, Newark Eagles, New York Black Yankees, Memphis Red Sox, Chicago American Giants and Baltimore Elite Giants. This was a pivotal time just at the end of WWII, when many ballplayers were coming back from military service, and just before Jackie Robinson began the integration of baseball in 1947 (which was the beginning of the end for the Negro Leagues). Some of the Negro League players include: Willie Wells, Monte Irvin, Biz Mackey, Don Newcombe, Roy Campanella, Buzz Clarkson, Harry Simpson Larry Doby and Leon Day.

Rob M.
Always looking for interesting team scorebooks!

Baltimore:
Attachment 104609

Newark:
Attachment 104608

Nashvol 06-26-2013 07:42 PM

The Elites

The Elite Giants held their spring training here in Nashville in 1946, but I believe that Campy and Wright had left the Baltimore team after the 1945 season. Seems like Wright went to Mexico to play, and Campanella signed with the Brooklyn Ddgers in 1946. If that is so, then the scoring page shown would be from 1945...

ramram 06-27-2013 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just ran across another game that I found interesting if not a little humorous from a Philadelphia vs St. Louis Brown's 1945 game. Pete Gray coming in to pinch hit in the ninth inning for catcher Frank Mancuso. Could you imagine hearing from your coach, "you ain't hitting worth a crap so we're putting in the guy with one arm to hit for you".

Rob M.

Attachment 104601

ramram 06-27-2013 09:48 AM

You are absolutely correct Skip. That page was from August 30th, 1945. That was the first game of a double-header at Shibe Park for the Negro National League. The second game was the Philadelphia Stars and the Newark Eagles. Interesting that they had four different teams play in the double-header.

thecatspajamas 06-27-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 1151541)
Could you imagine hearing from your coach, "you ain't hitting worth a crap so we're putting in the guy with one arm to hit for you".

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thank you for the best laugh I've had in a while! :D

Nashvol 06-27-2013 10:21 AM

Rob, awesome find for you. I have a couple of scorebooks that Jim Turner's daughter Jackie kept when her father was pitching coach for the Yankees. I'll have to dig those out and see if there are any games outside of the majors that are scored...

...I also liked your 'one-armed' comment!