Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Game Used Forum- Pre-1980 (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ruth Rookie Gamer? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173018)

sayhey24 07-26-2013 10:07 AM

Ruth Rookie Gamer?

Did anyone else see this ebay auction? I will try to include the link below, but if it doesn't work, just search completed auctions of seller siliconvalet.
He just sold a lot labeled "set of 3 antique baseball bats", and one of them appears to be a Babe Ruth rookie bat. He barely mentions the Ruth bat in the description and if I recall correctly, doesn't even reference Babe Ruth. What's strange is he has relisted the other two bats (that's how I found the original listing). Because it's a buy it now, you can't see any indication of who the buyer is.
Do you think this possible Ruth rookie gamer really sold for a thousand dollars?

Greg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-3-Ant...p2047675.l2557

sicollector1954 07-26-2013 10:37 AM

Saw that auction but if I remember correctly the center label stamping was dash dot dash on top and also bottom which makes it 1910-1915 markings. However, the center label also had it was made by Hillerich and Bradsby and not Hillerich and Son which I don't think makes sense if you go by Malta's book as that came later.

VintageGamerN00b 07-26-2013 11:27 AM

Calling MGHPro

Bradsby didn't become a partner until 1916, so it's definitely not a rookie bat. Also, with no provenance, who's to say someone didn't just get a blank bat and stamp Ruth's name? While tantalizing, this one seems a little too weak on info to get involved with it. I'm interested in what some of the bat experts here think though. MGHPro?

sayhey24 07-26-2013 11:36 AM

Sorry, I should have said early bat, not rookie. My immediate thought was too good to be true and could somene have stamped the name Ruth on there later, but obviously the seller wasn't even selling it as a Babe Ruth game bat.

Greg

sayhey24 07-26-2013 12:52 PM

Just heard it's been authenticated by John Taube. Came out of an estate in Massachusetts along with a bunch of antique tools.

Greg

yanks12025 07-26-2013 01:30 PM

It's going up for sale next week at the national after it's restored.

VintageGamerN00b 07-26-2013 04:56 PM

My goodness. When did it sell? Can't believe I didn't catch it on my antique bat searches.

yanks12025 07-26-2013 04:59 PM

I think someone bought the lot and than another eBay person told the seller what they have. So the seller probably cancelled the sale and contacted taube or auction house.

VintageGamerN00b 07-26-2013 05:04 PM

You're right, because that same seller is selling the Parent and Williams bats separately. The Williams is a store model, and the Parent is Sanford, not a known pro model bat manufacturer. Do you have a link to anything about Taube authenticating it? Did they have factory records back then? It just seems so arbitrary with no provenance and four letters that anyone could've stamped. We've all seen black dash-dot-dashes out there.

VintageGamerN00b 07-26-2013 05:12 PM

What do you guys think about the Cy Williams bat? Has the "W" scratched in the knob but it's a 40CW, which makes it store model. Any idea what GPR and ACS stand for?

yanks12025 07-26-2013 05:14 PM

There was another bat sold at auction from 1916 with ruth stamped. So I'm sure taube can tell whether its new vs old.

UnVme7 07-27-2013 12:18 AM

Block lettered bats can be tough, but based on the label and when Ruth had an agreement, we are looking at around a 1916-17 bat, I think.

Not many Ruth's back then either.

BigJJ 07-27-2013 04:30 AM

It looks to be his model, in terms of knob, handle, and barrel shapes and proportions. Would need to really see in person, but from here looks correct. The model that was to be a new standard bearer.thinner handle, flat delineated knob, yet full barrel. While such a bat with a medium club-like-appearance is more widely found post 1920, as players copied Ruth, that model type is not as widely found pre 1920.

ruth-gehrig 07-27-2013 05:52 AM

Yeah that's pretty amazing to turn up. Someone who sees it at the national please let us know what the asking price is if its offered there along with any more details.

UnVme7 07-27-2013 09:20 AM

Anyone know who got the seller to end the original auctions and offer $1,000 for all 3 bats?

yanks12025 07-27-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnVme7 (Post 1163570)
Anyone know who got the seller to end the original auctions and offer $1,000 for all 3 bats?

How do you know the seller didn't put a $1,000 buy it now to begin with? And there is a way to see who bought it for $1,000 but not any of my business to say who bought it.

UnVme7 07-27-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1163576)
How do you know the seller didn't put a $1,000 buy it now to begin with? And there is a way to see who bought it for $1,000 but not any of my business to say who bought it.

I don't. But it was originally set at 3 different auctions, and now it appears at one auction for $1,000. I just figured that's what the seller was offered, especially considering what other items the seller is currently selling and knows nothing about baseball items.

None of your business? Taube, restoring, the national? Come on man, you already offered some info all on your own. No one would've thought anything of this if you hadn't shared that.

VintageGamerN00b 07-27-2013 12:54 PM

Seller ended it early. The Parent and Cy Williams bats are up separately now.

Shoeless Moe 07-27-2013 07:28 PM

So was it sold and transaction cancelled or was it sold and the buyer said I'll just take the one bat, you can keep the other 2, and re-sell them because the buyer had a little remorse getting a small fortune from the seller in the one bat?

VintageGamerN00b 07-29-2013 06:25 PM

No idea. It's all a little confusing. I'm also not sure why we haven't heard anything about Taube or the National. Whoever is auctioning it would probably have send an e-mail by now. Wouldn't a 1916 Ruth gamer be one of the biggest discoveries of the decade?

yanks12025 07-29-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VintageGamerN00b (Post 1164432)
No idea. It's all a little confusing. I'm also not sure why we haven't heard anything about Taube or the National. Whoever is auctioning it would probably have send an e-mail by now. Wouldn't a 1916 Ruth gamer be one of the biggest discoveries of the decade?

It's not auction, I think it will be just for sale at the national maybe at tubes booth or someone else. Idk

VintageGamerN00b 07-30-2013 02:52 PM

Does anybody think it's weird that the posting has Ruth's name in the description, but the seller just titled it "Set of 3 Antique Baseball Bats"? Wouldn't you think you would put "Ruth" in the title?

This may be my Hollywood cynicism talking but this seems like the best viral marketing I could think of for the National.

UnVme7 07-31-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VintageGamerN00b (Post 1164722)
Does anybody think it's weird that the posting has Ruth's name in the description, but the seller just titled it "Set of 3 Antique Baseball Bats"? Wouldn't you think you would put "Ruth" in the title?

This may be my Hollywood cynicism talking but this seems like the best viral marketing I could think of for the National.

Not really, considering the other items they are selling. They obviously don't know anything about baseball items and to them, they are probably just 3 old bats. Happens quite a bit

Shoeless Moe 08-01-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1164436)
It's not auction, I think it will be just for sale at the national maybe at tubes booth or someone else. Idk

Brock why do u seem to know so much about this? Tell what you know please.

yanks12025 08-01-2013 10:32 AM

I wrote what the seller said " It's going up for sale next week at the national after it's restored."

So I know nothing besides what the seller mentioned. But I don't think it is forsale, I didn't see it on display.

ruth-gehrig 08-01-2013 10:47 AM

Any anyone verify that it is indeed an early Ruth gamer??

yanks12025 08-01-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1165348)
Any anyone verify that it is indeed an early Ruth gamer??

It is the real deal.

ruth-gehrig 08-01-2013 03:28 PM

Anyone have any better pics of the ruth bat?? I couldn't see crap from the ebay listing.

VintageGamerN00b 08-01-2013 03:56 PM

I think some people know about it but probably won't say anything until (and if) it goes for sale. If it's the real deal, my goodness that's an amazing find. But it all seems a little wishy washy and I'm confused why the seller has the other two bats when eBay registers the $999 for 3 bats as a completed sale. I will admit though that a hearty fraction of my skepticism is coming purely from envy. If anyone at the National could keep an eye out for the bat and report back, that would be awesome.

yanks12025 08-01-2013 05:26 PM

The bat is not on display at the national at least it wasn't for the last two days.

I don't understand how some of you can't connect the dots with what happened with the bat. The seller either listed it for $999 or the buyer offered that amount, who knows I don't know. So than the buyer purchased said 3 bats for $999. So I'm guessing after they were bought, some low life jealous ebayer than told the seller after the sale that the bat was worth a lot more money. So after that the seller broke his contract of the sale and than refunds the money and contacts better hobby people or gets the bat authenticated....

Not so hard to understand.

Shoeless Moe 08-01-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1165478)
The bat is not on display at the national at least it wasn't for the last two days.

I don't understand how some of you can't connect the dots with what happened with the bat. The seller either listed it for $999 or the buyer offered that amount, who knows I don't know. So than the buyer purchased said 3 bats for $999. So I'm guessing after they were bought, some low life jealous ebayer than told the seller after the sale that the bat was worth a lot more money. So after that the seller broke his contract of the sale and than refunds the money and contacts better hobby people or gets the bat authenticated....

Not so hard to understand.

Man, bummer for the buyer.....

BigJJ 08-02-2013 08:28 AM

Encouraging a breach of contract, ie. encouraging the seller not to proceed with the formal exchange of bats for cash, may open up the encouraging party to liability - particularly if the other party is a dealer, and is encouraging the seller not to proceed, in order to get in on the deal himself.

Anyone dealing the bat should consult counsel, as they are undoubtedly aware of the sale agreement.

ruth-gehrig 08-02-2013 09:09 AM

Yeah my dad was caught up in a very similar legal situation a few years ago (actually it is still ongoing) and I believe I read in some of the documents it being referred to "contractual interference". In my dads case an item was bought with a check before ownership of item changed hands. The interference was someone else stepped in and saying I will give you more for it. So a new transaction took place (and original uncashed check got returned to initial buyer) interfering with original purchase.

Will this be similar??

packs 08-02-2013 03:49 PM

eBay has terms and conditions that sellers must adhere to and agree to adhere to when they place their items for sale. One of those agreements is a legally binding contract for sale / payment.

baseball tourist 08-02-2013 06:39 PM

Spoke with John Taube at his booth at the National yesterday and the bat is the real deal (I didn't see it) and apparently John is the holder of the bat until the parties (seller and reneged buyer I assume) sort out the next steps.

esquiresports 08-05-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig (Post 1165679)
Yeah my dad was caught up in a very similar legal situation a few years ago (actually it is still ongoing) and I believe I read in some of the documents it being referred to "contractual interference". In my dads case an item was bought with a check before ownership of item changed hands. The interference was someone else stepped in and saying I will give you more for it. So a new transaction took place (and original uncashed check got returned to initial buyer) interfering with original purchase.

Will this be similar??

Yes, this would be similar, if there was a third party who tried to convince the seller not to complete the transaction with the buyer, knowing that there was a binding agreement in place. Of course the buyer could also have a direct claim against the seller for breach of contract. Given the special nature of the item, a claim for specific performance could be sought. That means that rather than monetary damages being awarded, which is by far the most typical remedy, the seller would have to actually complete the sale of the bat to the purchaser.

VintageGamerN00b 08-06-2013 01:36 PM

Now I'm kind of glad I did miss out on it. Sounds like quite a legal headache.

lefty147 08-13-2013 08:23 PM

Anybody have any new information regarding the sale of the bat ?

MVSNYC 08-18-2013 05:02 PM

First i'm hearing of this...incredible story.

ruth-gehrig 08-31-2013 05:47 PM

Any update??

ruth-gehrig 12-18-2013 11:38 AM

Anyone know if this is the bat that's going to be auctioned by Ken Goldin at the Babe Ruth memorabilia auction??

ruth-gehrig 02-22-2014 01:58 PM

Nobody?

sayhey24 06-18-2014 11:17 AM

Here's the bat at auction now. Anyone know how the original ebay situation was resolved?

Greg

sayhey24 06-18-2014 11:20 AM

Forgot to include the auction link:

http://www.goldinauctions.com/1916_1...-LOT10461.aspx