Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Another forum with more postwar activity? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173254)

67_Palmer 07-30-2013 01:31 PM

Another forum with more postwar activity?

This is a great forum, but mainly prewar. Is there a busier postwar forum out there?

Not modern.

steve B 07-30-2013 06:40 PM

None that I've found.

There are some that are more active, but the quality of posts is often lacking. But if you want a hundred posts of a very average card followed by a bunch of " Oh that's a nice one" replies there are plenty of places.

I'd rather have fewer posts with useful content.

The stamp organization I'm in has a magazine that's quarterly, Usually only around 8 articles but it takes me two to three days to read it. It's pretty much the highlight of the weeks mail when it comes.

Steve B

mintacular 07-30-2013 08:42 PM

Psa

Psa

Zach Wheat 07-30-2013 11:12 PM

Forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1164766)
None that I've found.

There are some that are more active, but the quality of posts is often lacking. But if you want a hundred posts of a very average card followed by a bunch of " Oh that's a nice one" replies there are plenty of places.

The stamp organization I'm in has a magazine that's quarterly, Usually only around 8 articles but it takes me two to three days to read it. It's pretty much the highlight of the weeks mail when it comes.

Steve B

Agree with Steve. Also when you get to know other collectors better there are a number of significant exchanges about a specific topic that are not done publicly for whatever reason. Usually it seems like the topics are too narrow to have a general appeal.

Like I have had a number of exchanges about The disappearance of Factory 649 during a critical period of early tobacco card production. The factory was literally shut down and no one really knows the specifics....and yet a number of key tobaccos cards state (via stamps on back) that they were still produced at 649. Not many people care about this topic for example...and there are a number of different opinions.

Determining the specifics on this factory is thought to be important in understanding overprints as well as rise of related brands like Mecca.

Z Wheat

steve B 07-31-2013 06:26 AM

I'd also say that starting threads is the best way to increase the discussion.

With stuff between 1948 and 80 there are some detailed technical topics, and a lot of less known issues. Any question, someone probably knows the answer. But if it's never asked I think a lot of people assume nobody is interested.

Steve B

ALR-bishop 07-31-2013 07:41 AM

Boards

Good point Steve on the need for folks to post about something of interest to them to get things rolling.

And I have had several good off board discussions with Zach and others after I contacted them or they me about information or a point of interest in some post. Have made some great hobby " friends" that way....even if we might hate each other if we ever met in person :)

Patrick---I do wonder around CU looking for topics of interest, and sometimes find them. There is more censorship there and maybe more drama at times, but it is all easy to avoid if you want to

67_Palmer 08-01-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1164766)
None that I've found.

Steve B

Well I am guilty in that I enjoy looking at other collectors cards. I also really enjoy reading the informative posts here.

steve B 08-01-2013 11:33 AM

I like seeing the stuff other people collect too. Collecting for a long time makes for being a bit jaded I guess. When I started 50's stuff was only about 20 years old, and somewhat plentiful. Many dealers would have at least a few hundred commons from each year. Sometimes more sometimes much more. 60's stuff was even easier.

But not much was in really great condition.

The place I hung out at had a computer card file cabinet for the 60's - 70's commons. Probably around 4-5000 each year. Plus stacks or binders of stars.

Things have really changed, both for the better and worse.

Steve B