Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   19th Century Cards & ALL Baseball Postcards- B/S/T (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1888 N162 Cap Anson (SGC 20) For Trade / Sale (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=175434)

Herpolsheimer 09-07-2013 08:15 AM

1888 N162 Cap Anson (SGC 20) For Trade / Sale

2 Attachment(s)
....The best gift is the one Santa gives you....

Looking to trade this Cap Anson for T206 HOF Protraits.....
Willing to sell on net54 for $1200....Listed on eBay at $1500....

Attachment 113233

Attachment 113234

Send me an eMail if interested... Regards John....

Herpolsheimer 09-19-2013 10:08 PM

Now For Sale / Trade

I will sell the card for $1200.... PayPal / Check you pay fees and I will pay for shipped insurance....For sale on eBay for $1500 / OBO....

Herpolsheimer 12-01-2013 01:07 PM

Cap Anson

Bump - Still available for Trade / Sale

Herpolsheimer 08-05-2016 10:32 PM

Bump....

Moesalty 08-07-2016 09:13 AM

Anson

Email sent

Leon 08-08-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herpolsheimer (Post 1568890)
Bump....

Longest bump of a for sale item I have ever seen on the board. :) Good luck!!

1952boyntoncollector 08-08-2016 09:38 AM

Cap Anson passed the magical total base total of 4500 and finished with 4592 good for 43rd of all time...i heard there was a massive countdown to that magical 4500, and people all knew what they did the day he broke that magical number..

..yeah he was 7th in all time hits but lets celebrate the total base accomplishment given the era he was in..

Scocs 08-08-2016 11:48 AM

Let's not celebrate him too much -- he was singlehandedly responsible for helping to keep African-Americans out of organized professional baseball...

1952boyntoncollector 08-08-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1569735)
Let's not celebrate him too much -- he was singlehandedly responsible for helping to keep African-Americans out of organized professional baseball...

Man we could also not celebrate many of the U.S. Presidents and founding fathers if want to go that route

Scocs 08-08-2016 12:10 PM

I don't really want to hijack this seller's thread, but there were several blacks in pro baseball until Anson personally saw fit to end it.

I would rather have an Oscar Charleston or John Heny Lloyd card in poor condition than an Anson card in gem mint.

But good luck to the seller on this undeniably aesthetically beautiful card!

1952boyntoncollector 08-08-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1569743)
I don't really want to hijack this seller's thread, but there were several blacks in pro baseball until Anson personally saw fit to end it.

I would rather have an Oscar Charleston or John Heny Lloyd card in poor condition than an Anson card in gem mint.

What about the large gap between when Anson stopped playing and when Jackie started to play, theres probably a lot more blame to go around on celebrated HOF players than Anson...

Scocs 08-08-2016 01:13 PM

I agree that there is a lot of blame to be spread, but Anson was the most respected player of his time and he set the precedent for all who followed until Rickey and Robinson.

But the N162 is still one of the nicest looking baseball cards ever produced....

cammb 08-10-2016 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1569735)

I do celebrate him for being the ballplayer that he was. This is just PC nonsense. Thanks for the hijack!

orly57 08-13-2016 05:04 PM

So, the notion that he had 'coattails' in persuading players and officials on other teams to do as he did is rather spurious." A lengthy 2016 essay by the same author focused on claims of Anson’s alleged influence on the most noted vote in 19th-century professional baseball in favor of segregation: a July 14, 1887 one by the high-minor International League to ban the signing of new contracts with black players; the essay showed a range of authors as not having observed the line between fact and speculation on that alleged influence.[7]

Scocs 08-13-2016 06:19 PM

Orlando, would you mind translating? I'm not sure if you are helping or hurting my argument....

orly57 08-13-2016 07:47 PM

Its a cut and paste from wiki. I think it is pretty clear. Like many things in history, some stories become exaggerated or are wholly made up. There is no historical proof of the degree, if any, of influence Cap had on the vote. What IS undisputed is that he was a racist jerk. It is sad, but he was a product of his day. So was Ty Cobb, but I wont be getting rid of my Ty Cobb cards any time soon. I collect the images of guys who were great at baseball. I even own an OJ Simpson rookie!!!

Scocs 08-13-2016 08:32 PM

BTW, has this card been sold yet?

cammb 08-14-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orly57 (Post 1571880)
Its a cut and paste from wiki. I think it is pretty clear. Like many things in history, some stories become exaggerated or are wholly made up. There is no historical proof of the degree, if any, of influence Cap had on the vote. What IS undisputed is that he was a racist jerk. It is sad, but he was a product of his day. So was Ty Cobb, but I wont be getting rid of my Ty Cobb cards any time soon. I collect the images of guys who were great at baseball. I even own an OJ Simpson rookie!!!

+1

gracecollector 08-17-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scocs (Post 1569743)

Saying Cap Anson "singlehandedly" kept blacks out of pro ball is laughable. It was the team owners, and later commissioner Landis, that had the power to do so, and did. No one singlehandedly created the color line - it was a group effort. Anson's racism was just the most reported. Many others at the time and throughout the next 60 years had the same opinions, both players and management.

Scocs 08-17-2016 04:13 PM

Again, last time I'll say this: of course team owners and Landis all saw fit to maintain their "gentlemen's agreement" from the late 19th century through the mid-twentieth century. My point is that Anson, as the most powerful, respected, and visible professional baseball figure of his era, set the whole pendulum in motion and no one until Chandler, Rickey, and Robinson was willing to stop it.

Adrian Anson saying that my Chicago baseball club -- and any and all professional baseball clubs -- will not not play against any team that has an African-American player on it simply held much more weight than if some generic racist player had said the same thing.

And as far as that earlier "PC nonsense" comment goes: consider yourself lucky that you were born a white male when you were, and consider yourself existentially lucky had you been born a white male a hundred years ago. Because if you weren't, and you had all the talent and skill of Ruth, Wagner, and
Johnson, you would have toiled in near obscurity in the Negro Leagues. That's not political correctness -- that's reality.

Perhaps it is unfair to blame one individual for institutional racism, but in my opinion, Anson used the power and privilege of his own skin color to exclude multiple generations of very deserving and gifted athletes from playing the game at the highest level, the game they loved just as much as he did.

Scott