Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A Warning About Counterfeits (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180674)

RUSH2112 12-26-2013 11:26 AM

A Warning About Counterfeits

While re-holdering my summer 2013 ebay purchases, I discovered I had been sold a counterfeit 1955-56 Parkhurst hockey card. This seller has 6000+ transactions and has 100% positive feedback. His ebay I.D. is also mentioned on other forums, from those who track the price of baseball cards and it appears he has sold a lot of high-end cards, for big bucks which is why I am here warning others.

What do I know you ask?

I been collecting cards from this set since the days of mail-order, I am guessing 20+ years. Upon receiving the card, it looked a little odd without my glasses on and I just put the card away assuming everything was fine, as I have never seen a fake from this issue and never suspected they were not a problem. I no longer have and ebay account due and have not made contact with the seller, as I am unable to.

Am I angry?

No, I am glad to have the card for display purposes and really don't want my money back. I am however wondering how many fakes are in baseball card collections, as this guy seems to have sold a lot of them. I'm also glad I no longer have to look at bad i-phone images as no one scans cards anymore.

One other note:

This card arrived in a card saver II with a tiny portion of the bottom corner clipped off. I thought this was a little odd to do this on a NMMT-NMMT+ card but now assume this makes it easier to keep track of the counterfeits from the real ones.

The card as it was listed:

PARKHURST #66 BILLY REAY MONTREAL CANADIENS NMMT / NMMT+

Seasons Greetings to all from Canada.

Zach Wheat 12-26-2013 12:14 PM

Counterfeits

I am missing something. Are you suggesting that he knowingly sold you a counterfeit card? Given his feedback, is it possible this was an error on his part?

Just curious. Seems like we need more information. Sorry you ended up with a counterfeit card....it happens to the best of us...me included.

Z Wheat

RUSH2112 12-26-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Wheat (Post 1220573)
I am missing something. Are you suggesting that he knowingly sold you a counterfeit card? Given his feedback, is it possible this was an error on his part?

Just curious. Seems like we need more information. Sorry you ended up with a counterfeit card....it happens to the best of us...me included.

Z Wheat

Error - slight possibility, which is why I did not post his ebay member I.D.

Not sure what other information you need but I will be scanning a real one beside the counterfeit card, in the near future.

My own rules are when buying, are to buy only cards with honest wear or moderate to heavily toned cards. I also always consider a card with such things as tape residue ect. I do however draw the line at paperloss and because I broke my own rules, I take full blame for this transaction.