Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Anybody put a 1966 Philadelphia Football set together? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191410)

K-Nole 07-26-2014 02:52 PM

Anybody put a 1966 Philadelphia Football set together?

I am putting this set together with my son and am having fun with it.
Curious if anybody else has done it?
What was the hardest part, funniest part...

Footballdude 07-26-2014 03:39 PM

I am working on that set as well, along with 60+ other sets at the same time, but I don't know of any cards in the set that are particularly hard to find. Right now I am 42 cards short, and the hardest thing for me will be being able to afford the Sayers and Butkus RC's.

I really like all of the Philadelphia sets because of their straightforward designs.

Good luck in your effort. I imagine collecting cards with your son is very fulfilling and makes the hobby that much more enjoyable.

refz 07-26-2014 07:20 PM

I love the Philadelphia sets, good luck!!

jefferyepayne 07-26-2014 07:47 PM

I put it together a while back and don't recall any specific cards that were trouble but I was doing it raw and not at a particular grade level.

jeff

oddball 07-26-2014 10:27 PM

The key rookie cards (Sayers, Butkus, Hayes) in any grade will cost you some dough. I have found the centering overall to be tougher than normal with this set, so keep that in mind if you're picky about that. Also, you will find many of the ones available for purchase, especially on ebay, will probably have the dreaded diagonal cut, which I personally don't like. Therefore, some of the graded commons may be a little more pricey than normal, especially if they are low population (if you're into the higher-graded stuff). A raw set in lower to mid-grade, though, shouldn't be too bad, except for the big rookies. Good luck!

Footballdude 07-26-2014 11:49 PM

That's good intel Oddball. I wasn't aware that "diamond-cuts" were a problem with that set. I sometimes have a hard time noticing those, especially if they are otherwise centered decently.

mojorob 07-27-2014 10:47 AM

K-Nole 07-28-2014 07:01 AM

Thanks all.

Yes, doing these sets with my son is amazing.

I have a 22 year old that loves football but never got into the cards hobby as I was out of it too back then.
But then I got back in about 3 years ago and he was getting out of the "pokeman" craze and we started watching MLB channel and NFL network and he liked/likes the old shows that show players. Then we go thru and find those players that were just on and it is a good Dad/Son thing to put the two together.

We like to do our sets on order, however, two weekends ago we went to the first card show in Topeka,Ks in the last 10 years (A sign that maybe our hobby is making a comeback?) and asked dealers as to if they had some 1967 Philadelphia. THey had some, that helped our set of those, but this one dealer said he had no 1967, but had a huge stack of 66's that he would make me a good deal on.
I looked at them, there were 64 of them, all in good shape, and i asked him how much. he sold them to us for $30!!! So we got a good start on the 66 too.
We will finish our 67 set in August easily, as we have a purposed deal with a seller that will leave us needing only about 6-7 cards. Then we will start the 1966. Just hope we can do the Butkus and Sayers fairly cheap.

mojorob 08-02-2014 07:28 AM