Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Was given a card ... Need help (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=204088)

Eamon 04-05-2015 01:33 PM

Was given a card ... Need help

Was given a card in a will.

Not claiming anythingg just need help.

Can someone pm me.

Also have no ibterest in selling either way.

bnorth 04-05-2015 02:07 PM

If you post a picture I am sure many of us could help you.

Bestdj777 04-05-2015 02:18 PM

Yea, would be very happy to help out as would a lot of others. Will need to see a photo first though. What info are you looking for?

jb67 04-05-2015 02:20 PM

He wants to know if the card is real. I just received a PM from him. I told him to post here.

Bestdj777 04-05-2015 04:01 PM

I figured as much and can probably answer without even seeing it.

ALR-bishop 04-05-2015 04:14 PM

Esate Plans

Chris---did someone leave you one of them as well ?

Bestdj777 04-05-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1398513)
Chris---did someone leave you one of them as well ?

Haha, my grandfather gave me a card once that he found in an old house. A beater 70s Topps card that he pulled out of his wallet and handed to me. Thankfully he is still alive. If I wasn't there I would assume the card was fake though as I am a perpetual cynic.

OP, feel free to PM a picture to me if you don't feel comfortable sharing and I'll weigh in with an honest opinion.

Volod 04-07-2015 05:04 PM

I see little, but perceive much...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1398510)
I figured as much and can probably answer without even seeing it.

The direction of this thread reminds me of the old Johnny Carson routine, in which Karnak the Magnificent, given a cryptic "answer" clue by Ed McMahon, would rip open the envelope and amazingly reveal the question begged by the answer. :)

begsu1013 04-08-2015 04:28 PM

trimmed. ; )

pawpawdiv9 04-08-2015 04:40 PM

its one of them Hocus Pocus cards or Topps Magic.
Hard to tell with the 'invisible' ink.

Eamon 04-20-2015 11:00 PM

hey guys - sorry I don't come on this forum very often...

The card in question was a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle RC - A lot of eyes went on this card and no one could tell if it was real or not, too close to tell. Lota of late night text messages with very willing members. My uncle was a wealthy lawyer and spent his money very wildly. This was possibly given to him when a client owed him money or purchased in a bar.

I sent the Mantle off to SGC and just got word that it is 100% in fact a 1951 Bowman Mantle. I will most likely be holding on to it for a little while. Eventually it may find itself into someone elses collection, maybe not.

I may even grace you guys with a photo someday. Thanks

begsu1013 04-21-2015 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eamon (Post 1403481)

let me grace you first...

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaim...51mantle71.jpg
http://caimages.collectors.com/psaim...51mantle51.jpg

and since it sorta looks like the 51...

http://caimages.collectors.com/psaim...antle8berk.jpg

hcv123 04-21-2015 05:45 AM

Anyone wanto to hear a joke??

Quote:

This was possibly given to him when a client owed him money or purchased in a bar.

A guy walks into a bar carrying a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle.........ouch!:eek:

Quote:

hey guys - sorry I don't come on this forum very often....

So what are you sorry for?

Quote:

I sent the Mantle off to SGC and just got word that it is 100% in fact a 1951 Bowman Mantle. I will most likely be holding on to it for a little while. Eventually it may find itself into someone elses collection, maybe not.

In fact there was some previous speculation it might have been a 1975 Mickey Rivers or actually only 50% in fact a 51 Bowman Mantle- good thing SGC confirmed it to be 100% in fact a 1951 Bowman Mantle. I wonder if eventually will be in a few hours?

Quote:

I suppose this will happen when we are deemed "worthy".

My mind will not stop - too many places to go with this. Somebody else please chime in with something else amusing!

Bestdj777 04-21-2015 06:02 AM

Nothing amusing to chime in with but I'll repeat my assessment that it is likely fake.

ALR-bishop 04-21-2015 07:00 AM

Willing

Howard-- your attitude indicates you were not deemed to have the willing eyes necessary to see the card. If you want late night messages with pictures of it improve your attitude:)

As for me, as a retired lawyer, I am just hoping for no rich lawyer jokes. Lawyers do not think lawyer jokes are funny, and no one else think they are jokes

Bestdj777 04-21-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1403526)
As for me, as a retired lawyer, I am just hoping for no rich lawyer jokes. Lawyers do not think lawyer jokes are funny, and no one else think they are jokes

When you were practicing, did you often get paid in baseball cards and/or pick them up at bars? I have yet to have a client send me a card.

KCRfan1 04-21-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volod (Post 1399228)
The direction of this thread reminds me of the old Johnny Carson routine, in which Karnak the Magnificent, given a cryptic "answer" clue by Ed McMahon, would rip open the envelope and amazingly reveal the question begged by the answer. :)

Karnak: "Hi diddle diddle....." McMahon now laughing and repeats " Hi diddle diddle..." Karnak gives annoyed look at McMahon, rips the end of the envelope and pulls out the note card and reveals the message - " How do you greet your diddle diddle first thing in the morning" . McMahon now roars with laughter.

Exhibitman 04-21-2015 11:01 AM

I'm a lawyer and I think lawyer jokes are hilarious. At least the funny ones are.

Volod 04-21-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1403569)
Karnak: "Hi diddle diddle....." McMahon now laughing and repeats " Hi diddle diddle..." Karnak gives annoyed look at McMahon, rips the end of the envelope and pulls out the note card and reveals the message - " How do you greet your diddle diddle first thing in the morning" . McMahon now roars with laughter.

I remember that one - June of 1968, I think. Those were the days. I'll bet Carson liked lawyer jokes, divorced three times in a community property state. I wonder if the thread will ever be "graced" with a scan of the card in question.:D

KCRfan1 04-21-2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volod (Post 1403642)
I remember that one - June of 1968, I think. Those were the days. I'll bet Carson liked lawyer jokes, divorced three times in a community property state. I wonder if the thread will ever be "graced" with a scan of the card in question.:D

I was channel surfing and stumbled across an infomercial selling Carson's shows in a dvd set. One clip had Carson do a magic trick for a boy who was about 6-8 years old. Carson liked magic tricks, and he put a quarter in his own hand, showed it to the boy, and through slight of hand made the quarter " disappear ". The kid was amazed, and excitedly said, " how did you make the money disappear "? Carson did not miss a beat and said, " You get married three times ". Too funny! McMahon, of course, roar's in the background.

Must be nice stumbling onto a Bowman rookie Mantle card, found in dad's/granddad's closet or where ever it was. Chest of drawers, the attic, the basement, closets, briefcase, envelopes, tin cans, it's amazing where rookie Mantles turn up. It's almost like it's too good to be true.....

Eamon 04-21-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1403868)
I was channel surfing and stumbled across an infomercial selling Carson's shows in a dvd set. One clip had Carson do a magic trick for a boy who was about 6-8 years old. Carson liked magic tricks, and he put a quarter in his own hand, showed it to the boy, and through slight of hand made the quarter " disappear ". The kid was amazed, and excitedly said, " how did you make the money disappear "? Carson did not miss a beat and said, " You get married three times ". Too funny! McMahon, of course, roar's in the background.

Must be nice stumbling onto a Bowman rookie Mantle card, found in dad's/granddad's closet or where ever it was. Chest of drawers, the attic, the basement, closets, briefcase, envelopes, tin cans, it's amazing where rookie Mantles turn up. It's almost like it's too good to be true.....

Card was actually displayed on his desk where he practiced for probably 25-30 years. He always had it in a 1.5 inch thick mint maker case. I always urged him to send it in but he never was concerned. I had a feeling it would become mine. He also had 2 ruth balls, a 36 yankee ball and many other mantle cards. He also had 2 children and many other nieces and nephews. I was lucky to get one piece from him. I will be forever grateful.

KCRfan1 04-22-2015 07:44 AM

Sadly, human nature tends to make us jump to conclusions that may or may not be true. I am certainly at fault in this area, make my share of mistakes, and this appears to be one of them. I apologize to you for jumping to a conclusion that I should not have went to. What you have is an item, regardless of value, that belonged to your dad, and will provide you with memories for the rest of your life.

begsu1013 04-22-2015 07:20 PM

I, for one, would still like to be "graced".

Eamon 04-22-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRfan1 (Post 1403948)
Sadly, human nature tends to make us jump to conclusions that may or may not be true. I am certainly at fault in this area, make my share of mistakes, and this appears to be one of them. I apologize to you for jumping to a conclusion that I should not have went to. What you have is an item, regardless of value, that belonged to your dad, and will provide you with memories for the rest of your life.

It was my uncle but thanks.

begsu1013 04-22-2015 09:31 PM

this will probably come off in a negative tone, but:

your uncle had other cards and mantles, however had the 51 rook sitting on his desk for years and you wound up with it, not his kids?

grace!

Eamon 04-22-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1404256)
this will probably come off in a negative tone, but:

your uncle had other cards and mantles, however had the 51 rook sitting on his desk for years and you wound up with it, not his kids?

grace!

His two kids got everything my man. They are my first cousins, grew up together. They each got a couple hundred thousand (cash and items)... like I said 2 ruth balls, a 36 yankee ball and tons of other cards... I know there was a 53 mantle in there as well.

I used to bring my friends from 4th 5th 6th grade to his office downtown just to go see the real deal rookie card. The year topps did the mantle reprints that everyone was chasing I was 11 or 12. I would take my friends down there on our bikes just to see the card. He knew I loved it.

His house that they are selling is on the market for 500k and the office building he owned is on the market for 725k....

I'm sure they aren't butthurt that he left me a card that I admired as a child that they know I will keep AND is worth nothing compared to his fortune left.

And his kids one male one female... do not care for sports whatsoever. So take it for what thats worth.