Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Card Show Advice (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=208850)

rdixon1208 07-17-2015 06:07 PM

Card Show Advice

I'm planning to start setting up at shows this year. I live in the Houston area. We have a small monthly show, two Tristar shows, and a couple other mid sized shows.

I have some ideas in mind but I wanted to ask what yall like to see most from dealers at a show? If any of you have set up before and want to share your experience that would be cool too.

brewing 07-17-2015 08:51 PM

I've done it a few times.
My #1 tip is price everything.
Have an idea what is going to sell and what won't sell. Leave the stuff that won't sell at home. Pack a lunch.

7nohitter 07-18-2015 09:31 AM

Yes, price things clearly. Also, have a good, positive attitude and interactions with people.

In the past I've made grab bags to lure people over....$5 a bag....in one of the bags you have to put a 'good' card so it creates buzz. This has always worked for me.

Leave the 88 Donruss at home!

Leon 07-19-2015 09:10 AM

I hear local stuff usually sells well. You might have some of that if possible. I plan on doing some more shows in the future too.....but probably not local as I want to stay in vintage. And for the most part, pre-war cards at shows in the Dallas area don't do well.

Laxcat 07-19-2015 09:59 AM

I haven't been to a show in some time. UT, A&M, Baylor, Tech, etc stuff did really well in Austin.

buymycards 07-19-2015 05:47 PM

shows

Hi,
Here are a few tips:

1. Have everything priced and arranged before you leave home so you can get set up quickly. Have your items boxed up so they can be loaded on a cart for easy loading and unloading.

2. Arrive early and get set up right away. The busiest time for sales to other dealers is before the show starts. The best time to buy items from other dealers is also before the show starts, so arriving an hour early may pay off. Have a little extra money with you in case you find something right away that you can't live without.

3. When you price your items, be aware that no one will pay your price. Be prepared to accept offers, because everyone will try to get a lower price.

4. It will be a long day and you may not be able to get away from your table. Eat a good breakfast, take a banana and some water to eat during the day.

5. Take plenty of quarters, $1's, $5's, $10, and $20's. It is surprising how much change you will go through during the day.

6. Bring some plastic shopping bags and small boxes for your customers to use for the items they buy from you.

7. Turn off your cell phone, make eye contact with your customers, say hello, and don't eat while customers are at your table.

Good luck! Just have fun and don't worry about making money.

Rick

Rich Klein 07-20-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1432909)
I hear local stuff usually sells well. You might have some of that if possible. I plan on doing some more shows in the future too.....but probably not local as I want to stay in vintage. And for the most part, pre-war cards at shows in the Dallas area don't do well.

Not only that but most local card don't do well in the Dallas area. And that's not just at the shows but at least Triple Cards has told me that as well.

Pre-1970 Cowboys should be OK in Dallas, other than that it's truly hit and miss.

In Houston, with the Astros resurgance; I think you would be fine with Houston cards

And yes, please price everything and on the front.!