Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A Few Notes on the 2015 MLB Regular Season: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=212081)

clydepepper 09-28-2015 11:38 AM

A Few Notes on the 2015 MLB Regular Season:

**CONTENT UPDATED**

First, Matt Williams and Jonathan Papelbon are so out of there:

Acquiring Papelbon was arguably the worst deadline deal this year- consider the following:

Thru July 31, Washington was 54-46 in first place by 3 games; their closer, Drew Storen had saved 29 in 31 opportunities with a 1.64 ERA

Since the move, Washington is 27-32 and 8 games out; Storen's ERA as a setup man before he disabled himself was 9.22

Jonathan receives the Milton Bradley teammate award for this year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the strangest stats coming out of this year is the triple total of 6-4, 260 lumberjack Evan Gattis...he has an amazing 11 after only having one his first two years.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dick Stuart section:

Pedro Alvarez has 23 errors this year as a full-time first baseman and has 133 errors in 682 career games (albeit with a lot of third base futility included before they tried to hid him across the diamond) - next stop for Pedro - the other league, where his acute fielding ballets won't be used.

By the way, the Pirates have made 121 errors this season - second in the Majors to...

Oakland with 122 and whose shortstop, Marcus Seimien, has 34 errors and whose thirdbaseman, Brett Lawrie, has 24...and none resulting from Gattis headed his way at full speed!

__________________________________________________ __

Awards:
NL MVP - Harper
NL CY - tie between Greinke & Arrieta (both deserve it)
NL Rookie- Bryant

AL MVP - Donaldson
AL CY- Price just a little better than Keuchel
AL Rookie- Correra

__________________________________________________ ______

Post-Season Predictions

Wild-Cards:
Cubs over Pirates
Yankees over Astros

NL Playoffs:
Mets over Dodgers
Cardinals over Cubs

Cardinals over Mets

AL Playoffs:
Blue Jays over Rangers
Yankees over Royals

Blue Jays over Yankees

World Series:
Blue Jays over Cardinals

Mountaineer1999 09-28-2015 08:32 PM

Pirates with 2nd best record in baseball and have to play in the damn wild card game against Arietta! Thats a helluva reward. If they were in the NL Least they wouldve gone 120 - 42. This format sucks.

Beatles Guy 09-28-2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 (Post 1456993)
Pirates with 2nd best record in baseball and have to play in the damn wild card game against Arietta! Thats a helluva reward. If they were in the NL Least they wouldve gone 120 - 42. This format sucks.

As a Cards fan, I agree. Do away with the divisions and just take the top 5.

RTK 09-30-2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1456769)
First, Matt Williams and Jonathan Papelbon are so out of there:

Acquiring Papelbon was arguably the worst deadline deal this year- consider the following:

Thru July 31, Washington was 54-46 in first place by 3 games; their closer, Drew Storen had saved 29 in 31 opportunities with a 1.64 ERA

Since the move, Washington is 25-30 and 9.5 games out; Storen's ERA as a setup man before he disabled himself was 9,22

Jonathan receives the Milton Bradley teammate award for this year.

Agree 100%, why they traded for him is beyond me, they really didn't need him. It disrupted the team dynamic, stupid move by the GM.

cubsfan-budman 09-30-2015 08:42 PM

If the cubbies can beat the pirates (a coin flip in my estimation), the cubs have done well lately vs. the cards and (imho) the cards are slipping.

im probably biased :)

Runscott 10-01-2015 04:03 PM

I'm hoping for a scenario that involves the Yankees missing out altogether. A tie with any of the three AL West teams for the final wild card spot is possible.

digdugdig 10-01-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 (Post 1456993)

Well, thank goodness then, for the wild card.
Without it, the Bucs would be going home.
The Cubbies have the 3rd best record in baseball and, unfortunately, only the 3rd best record in their own division and are probably very content to have to play a "winner take all" game on the road.
Glass half full, half empty .........

Mountaineer1999 10-01-2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digdugdig (Post 1457857)
Well, thank goodness then, for the wild card.
Without it, the Bucs would be going home.
The Cubbies have the 3rd best record in baseball and, unfortunately, only the 3rd best record in their own division and are probably very content to have to play a "winner take all" game on the road.
Glass half full, half empty .........

They could seed the teams like others sports or play a 3 game series. Pirates 6 - 0 vs Mets and pretty much owned NL East & West. Yes im biased.

Prof_Plum 10-02-2015 05:48 AM

I think I heard this right.......

When the Cubs beat KC on Sept 28 1-0 it was the first time in MLB history that a 1-0 game was won by a walk-off home run from a pitch hitter (Denorfia).

ALR-bishop 10-04-2015 11:08 AM

Playoffs

Everyone sees it through their own biases. As a Cardinals fan, I see the system causing the team with the best record required to play the team with the 2nd best record, Cubs or Pirates, in first round. I will be routing for whichever of those 3 prevail...even if it is the Cubs :)