Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deacon White (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269337)

BumBum 05-23-2019 06:53 PM

Deacon White

Just some musings on Deacon White, one of baseball's earliest stars (1871-1890). A major aspect of my PC is collecting Chicago Cubs stars, including dating back to the 1800's, which is how White appeared on my radar. He was on Chicago's 1876 team (inaugural year in the NL), and was selected to the Hall of Fame by the Veteran's Committee in 2013.

What I find astounding is how few baseball cards there are of Deacon White ever produced. The Trading Card Database lists only 7 total! And some I'm not sure I even consider to be "cards". Moreover, the PSA pop report shows only two reported from the Old Judge series. Now, I get that Pre-War cards were produced only sporadically and a lot of players are missed. But I am surprised that a player of this caliber was also missed by more recent sets featuring retired players. The only place where Deacon White shows up in a modern issue is in 2012 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions, but even still, it is only as a short print (I had to buy the whole stupid set just to get this one card!). How did he not at least make it into any of the countless Panini Hall of Fame releases?

I am sure that his selection to the Hall of Fame being only very recent has something to do with this, but how could he be this far off of the radar?

Chris Counts 05-23-2019 07:04 PM

I used to own a couple Scrapps cards from about 1888, and I could have sworn there was a Deacon White in there. He's with the Detroit Wolverines.

Kenny Cole 05-23-2019 07:05 PM

There is a Deacon White in the Scrapps.

scotgreb 05-23-2019 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 354134

Huysmans 05-23-2019 09:00 PM

With all due respect, try collecting early Hockey Hall of Fame members, where there are VERY FEW IF ANY cards to collect, especially for members like Steamer Maxwell, Dick Irvin, Clint Benedict, Charlie Gardiner, Bouse Hutton, Hugie Lehman, Jack Marshall, etc.

triwak 05-23-2019 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to acquire his Scrapps, but lost out in a private auction. Settled for the Buchner. Happy to get anything.

oldjudge 05-23-2019 11:59 PM

There are at least two different poses of 1886 Tomlinson cabinets, eight N172 poses, Fearnaught Old Judge proof cabinets of many if not all of the N172 poses, and an N173 of at least one of White's poses.

insidethewrapper 05-24-2019 10:35 AM

Since he retired in 1890, not many "baseball cards " issued before this date. Probably only Old Judge and Buchner Coin, "Scrapps " ,Detroit Currency 1887 & 1888. Most Deacon cards will be in Cabinets as previously mentioned Tomlinson and some team cabinets etc.
Only been in HOF recently so not in many of the HOF issued sets yet.

I'm sure Joe G. has a complete list of his cards.

His most famous card is in the Old Judge Set where he is listed as a Mgr. McCreachery.

Joe_G. 05-24-2019 01:32 PM

Ah yes, Deacon White, one of my favorites! He can be a tough card if you want a photographic example, easier if you expand to Buchner or Scrapps.

I consider Deacon White's cards (excluding team cards) as follows (in chronological order):

- Tomlinson Cabinets (April 1886) - Portrait & Action Pose
- N284 Buchner Gold Coin (1887)
- Fearnaught's Studio Proofs for Goodwin & Co. (April 1888) - Nine poses (all nine poses known as studio proofs have a matching N172)
- N172 Old Judge Fb (1888) - Nine poses
- N173 Old Judge Cabinet (1888) - One pose (w/ Detroit)
- Y95 Scrapps (H. D. Smith & Co.) (believed to be early-to-mid 1888)
- WG1 Playing Card (1888)
- N172 Old Judge Fc (1889) - two poses re-issued w/ Pittsburgh
- N173 Old Judge Cabinet (1889) - One pose (w/ Pittsburgh)

You see a lot of Old Judge cards from 1888 and 1889 but they are tough, many with fewer than 5 known.

Here is the most valuable Deacon White card (one of two copies known, not in my collection, same card Mike mentioned above):
https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...greachery-mgr/

Here is my Graig Kreindler painting of Deacon White based on his Tomlinson portrait.

WillowGrove 05-24-2019 08:51 PM

Joe that's a great Kindler. Wow. Deacon White sure looks like the perfect subject for Graig; inherently old timey.

Joe_G. 05-25-2019 08:26 AM

Here are the nine poses of Deacon White as Fearnaught's Studio proofs for Goodwin & Co. Each of these poses would be issued as N172 Old Judge cards. These proofs hit the hobby back in 2006 when Hunt auctioned off the Deacon White collection that had been held by the family for a couple generations. About half of these are only known copies, others had up to three copies. I'm happy to have a couple in my collection.

oldjudge 05-25-2019 10:11 AM

I think the Fearnaughts are Deacon White's most beautiful cards. Thanks for posting the images.

jerrys 05-25-2019 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Joe,

Nice display of Deacon White proofs.

Just a point of interest: At first glance the Fearnaught's Studio portrait photo of Deacon White you show looks like the same photo on the Tomlinson cabinet. Although the photos were likely made at the same photo session, they are different.

oldjudge 05-25-2019 11:58 AM

Jerry-They are different. Check the collar. The Fearnaught image was used on White’s N172.