Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   World Series game 7......which team are you rooting for ?.....and why ? ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275274)

tedzan 10-30-2019 03:06 PM

World Series game 7......which team are you rooting for ?.....and why ? ?

So, we have two Cy Young pitchers going tonite. This the first time in World Series history that former Cy Young winners
will face each other in the 7th game.

Tonite's game may not match Don Larson's Perfect game 63 years ago, but I'm expecting an exciting game tonite.

As a young teenager, I saw this entire game between the Dodgers and Yankees. I will never forget it.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...photoAutog.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference

baseball tourist 10-30-2019 03:10 PM

Nats

Have to root for the underdogs here. Added to that the Washington franchise started in Montreal (a great town that). It痴 a shame the Expos left. Looking forward to a great game.

RL 10-30-2019 03:23 PM

Nats.... Soto and Max

ullmandds 10-30-2019 03:29 PM

I'm excited...hoping game 7 is AWESOME!!!!! I'm pulling for the underdog Nationals because it's been so long that Washington's had a champion...and I have a lot of friends in the area.

It seems many Orioles fans have jumped ship!!!!

jbsports33 10-30-2019 03:41 PM

I am a big Red Sox fan - and can still show support to other teams,
at least NL teams in the WS that are not playing the Sox.

Go Nats!

Jimmy

mantleman 10-30-2019 03:47 PM

Washington Nationals given their Montreal Expos affiliation!!!

YOUPPIE!!

Peter_Spaeth 10-30-2019 03:54 PM

Both teams are likeable, but as an AL person, the Astros. Verlander must be beside himself at his mediocre post-season.

Cmount76 10-30-2019 04:04 PM

The Nats bullpen has been suspect all year and I really like the team that the Astros built. Not an Astros fan, but they are fun to watch.

A close one - but I think Houston pulls it out.

JollyElm 10-30-2019 04:04 PM

I still see the Astros as a National League team and the Nationals as the Expos...so I can't wrap my head around any of this.

iwantitiwinit 10-30-2019 04:12 PM

I'm hoping the Yankees pull this one out.

conor912 10-30-2019 04:14 PM

Nats bc the Astros and Harper are punks and I want them all to be disappointed.

h2oya311 10-30-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1927351)
Nats bc the Astros and Harper are punks and I want them all to be disappointed.

disagree 100% on the Astros being punks. They are a very like-able group (from my somewhat tainted perspective). How can you not root for a guy who, if a height restriction were in place, would only barely be eligible to play?

Go 'Stros!

egbeachley 10-30-2019 05:00 PM

I知 sitting in Section 206 across from the big screen at Nats Park for the viewing party

Go Nats!

BeanTown 10-30-2019 05:07 PM

Astros as I feel they are the best team

frankbmd 10-30-2019 05:20 PM

Against all odds, I知 betting on a homeless sweep. Go Nats.

Fetamore 10-30-2019 05:28 PM

The Astros are the better team and should win. I love a good game and will be
Happy with either team winning.

Rhotchkiss 10-30-2019 05:42 PM

Nats. I am lifelong Washingtonian and a Nats fan.

Keith H. Thompson 10-30-2019 06:09 PM

Conflicted Detroit Fan

For me it is Scherzer and A. Sanchez vs Verlander. I went to Houston and saw G1. The Astros fans that I met in the seats and in the streets were likeable and knowledgeable fans, although a young girl sitting next to me asked "if I were a coach or player?" perhaps because I was scoring the game in detail and in my usual understated Detroit colors.

I've attended one or more World Series games in either the American League Park or National League Park and often both -- 19 out of the last 22 years. I find the diversity of fans representing different parts of the country fascinating. There is a huge difference between the Bronx and St. Louis, for example.

My daugher-in-law comes from a Washington fan base, and she and my son's family including their twin 7 year old daughters and 3 year old son all went to G4.

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 10-30-2019 06:44 PM

I知 mostly just rooting for an entertaining game. It痴 been a pretty good series so far.

But I知 a Grienke fan from his days in KC, so hopefully he continues to pitch well.

ejharrington 10-30-2019 06:49 PM

Jose Cruz and Rusty Staub played for Houston. Go Astros!

commishbob 10-30-2019 07:09 PM

My best friend is related to the Lerner family by marriage and I went to Spring Training as their guest a few years ago. Was treated like a king. As an Orioles fan I know I'm supposed to hate them but Go Nats!

GasHouseGang 10-30-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1927349)
I still see the Astros as a National League team and the Nationals as the Expos...so I can't wrap my head around any of this.

I totally agree Darren. I'm cheering for the Astros because my wife's relatives all live there. Otherwise....

robkas68 10-30-2019 07:26 PM

Nats

I am actually on a plane getting ready to take off to Houston right now. I am sort of cheering for the Nats but I really don稚 mind either team. It isn稚 like the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers where there is a strong reaction either positive or negative.

timn1 10-30-2019 10:38 PM

Congrats to the Nats

I love the Astros as a team but the Nats were great and they deserve it - also it's always fun to see a first-time winner-

Stampsfan 10-31-2019 12:20 AM

Conflicted Too

I feel somewhat sad and bittersweet. As someone who grew up in Montreal and attended many, many games every year, I知 unsure if I am happy for my old team, or just saddened that the Expos could not get there where my old home town could celebrate.

tonyo 10-31-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1927349)

Ditto on the astros.... I often wish the AL would trade the Astros to the NL for the Brewers !

tonyo 10-31-2019 08:01 AM

I usually always lean toward the underdogs if the Braves aren't playing
So, was pulling for the Nationals at the start of the series-
After the series went to 3-3, I felt like the Nats had lost their underdog status, but I still was pulling for them to complete the road-team-wins-every-game thing. Plus I like watching Scherzer pitch.

ejharrington 10-31-2019 08:35 AM

I hope the result of last night's game will give MLB managers pause before they pull from the game future-HOF starting pitchers who are dominating and only 80 or so pitches in for a relief pitcher. Let the studs pitch!

tedzan 10-31-2019 09:11 AM

World Series game 7......which team are you rooting for ?.....and why ? ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejharrington (Post 1927472)
I hope the result of last night's game will give MLB managers pause before they pull from the game future-HOF starting pitchers who are dominating and only 80 or so pitches in for a relief pitcher. Let the studs pitch!

DITTO ! When Hinch (manager), rushed to remove Zack Greinke, who had pitched brilliantly, allowing only ONE HIT in 6 innings, and with a
relatively low pitch count,....I could not believe it.
I was rooting for the Astros....my wife's brother lives in Katy, Texas (Houston suburb). We visit them often, and we have seen a lot of Texas.

Furthermore, with the small lead that the Astros had going into the 7th inning, you would think Hinch would bring in one of his key relievers.
And it didn't help the Astros' cause much when their offense failed to drive in RUNS when they had several opportunities earlier in this game.

Anyway, after 95 years, I guess the Washington franchise deserved to finally win a World Series. Good for them.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Peter_Spaeth 10-31-2019 09:20 AM

Interesting contrast between Hinch panicking and Martinez leaving Scherzer in to repeatedly pitch his way out of jams.

Snapolit1 10-31-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1927480)
Interesting contrast between Hinch panicking and Martinez leaving Scherzer in to repeatedly pitch his way out of jams.

Sportswriters were ripping Martinez all night for leaving Scherzer in too long. Was unanimous that he messed up huge. Until of course he didn't.

frankbmd 10-31-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1927364)
Against all odds, I知 betting on a homeless sweep. Go Nats.

Trust me, I知 a doctor.:D

Hankphenom 10-31-2019 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1927426)
I feel somewhat sad and bittersweet. As someone who grew up in Montreal and attended many, many games every year, I知 unsure if I am happy for my old team, or just saddened that the Expos could not get there where my old home town could celebrate.

My feelings exactly in 1965, when my Senators won the AL pennant in Minnesota!

Tony2311 10-31-2019 12:53 PM

Congrats to the Nats and fans - great series!!

Residing in Houston (Cypress, TX) for ~40 years I am a dedicated Astros fan. Two points to last nights game:

1) AJ Hinch taking Greinke with a pitch count of 80, giving up one run, two walks and replacing him with Harris. Although Harris pitched will in the post season, he was used repeatedly.

2) The Astros had their chances: 1/8 RISP, 10 LOB, RISP with 2 out = 5, the entire lineup left 21 LOB.

The only negative IMHO, Soto...He will receive his share of fastballs in the back as to how he plays the game and shows up the opposing pitchers/team. Before anyone jumps on my statement, I do not condone Bregman carrying his bat down to 1B - he apologized and handled it well with the media and fans.

guy3050 10-31-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 1927426)

MY THOUGHTS ON THE NATS WIN
I have no ill feelings towards the Washington team, they deserved the win, they played hard and never gave up. But it's really a stretch to see many people saying how this was finally a win for the Expos franchise ! The majority of fans in Montreal see absolutely no redeeming value for our baseball history other than the fact that this was a team that was built on the skeleton of another. To create an equivalency between our history and this win being our vindication is absolute rubbish in my opinion. Having sat in Jarry Park and Olympic stadium in the early and late 70's, listening to Ted Tevan religiously, and believing that parade of his would happen, being at game 3 of the 81 NLCS, screaming at Jerry White's 3 run homer, following every game on the radio, when there wasn't 24 hr sports coverage, and a handful of broadcasts, checking box scores in the next morning's paper for late games on the west coast, or falling asleep with a small transistor radio under my pillow. The 80's, the 90's, 1994, 2003 September, and too many other things I could write a book about. All these memories cannot be reconciled with a WS series win by the team in Washington, and never will. BRING BACK MY BELOVED EXPOS TO MONTREAL "NOS AMOURS"

Cmount76 10-31-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmount76 (Post 1927348)
The Nats bullpen has been suspect all year and I really like the team that the Astros built. Not an Astros fan, but they are fun to watch.

A close one - but I think Houston pulls it out.

Precisely why I am NOT a betting man...