Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Opinions on Graded vs Raw (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=279752)

gustomania 02-26-2020 11:23 AM

Opinions on Graded vs Raw

So, I collect mainly Koufax in low-mid grade.

Been toying with the idea of some raw in low grade just to throw in some magnetic or a book.

Just curious how people here collect vintage and their thoughts on graded or if people have a preference to raw and why?

jchcollins 02-26-2020 12:20 PM

I don't have a preference, and would just buy raw, but I also don't like to be surprised. With midgrade vintage online, at least you know that a PSA 5 should not have creases, etc. or something you cannot see / would be surprised by if you were holding the card in your hand and it was described as "EX."

There is a lot of subjectivity in grading, especially in the mid-to-lower grades, but for technical standards I still think the TPG's do a good job of helping you to buy sight-unseen. A 5 should not have creases, a 7 should be centered 70/30 or better, etc. etc.

hcv123 02-26-2020 04:04 PM

Buy what you like

Raw - in person with a ruler, Loupe, and black light in hand!

JollyElm 02-26-2020 04:40 PM

I would urge you to always keep in mind price differential.

I used to be full-on into non-graded (I abhor the term 'raw' :cool:) with everything in binders, but when I was trying to finish off some sets, it became obvious to me that the prices being asked for graded cards wasn't significantly more (your experience may vary) than their non-graded counterparts, so I began buying slabs and it changed my opinion drastically. (Wow, that's a long run-on sentence.) This was before all the ballyhoo regarding card doctors, but I have always only bought graded cards that in no way appeared doctored, especially with regard to trimming. It used to be that when you got a graded card, you knew exactly what you had, an EX, EXMT or NRMT card, so there was a great level of comfort involved and the card was protected within its slab. Nowadays, you have to be even more diligent in determining whether or not a slabbed card has been messed with, of course, but if there isn't much of a difference in the price between something in a slab and something in just a toploader, it may do you well to buy graded cards here and there.

Good luck!

CobbSpikedMe 02-26-2020 05:23 PM

I collect mostly raw (un-graded for Darren) cards for my sets. I'm not concerned about condition at all so I really don't care about it being graded a 3 or a 5 or whatever. I do have graded cards, but they are all either prewar cards that I like the look of in a slab or I want to protect them from further damage, or they are my PSA 8 80's rookies or PSA 8 Jim Wynns. I really like those ones. Anyway, that's my take on the graded vs. non-graded.

Also kind of funny that I say I don't care about the grade but I collect PSA 8 80's rookies and Jim Wynns. I guess I never thought about that before. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

ALR-bishop 02-26-2020 08:56 PM

Agree that ungraded cards are not raw, they are in their natural state

jchcollins 02-27-2020 02:17 PM

Also it has been my experience that if you want to buy - say an early 60's Mantle base card raw / ungraded in VG condition vs. a PSA 3, it's not going to be a huge price differential. That comes in for TPG's really in grades 6 or 7 and higher, at least for postwar vintage. For example I have a '59 Willie Mays in a 6 that I might be able to sell for more than a '59 Mays I had raw that I just listed as EX-MT. But it really depends on the eye appeal, and the specific card and player. There are still deals to be had on midgrade non-graded, but for my money slabs of the same thing aren't usually that much more expensive - so for peace of mind, that's the direction I tend to go in.

gustomania 02-28-2020 09:27 AM

Great insight, appreciate all the responses!!! I really do like the look of raw in a magnetic personally.

Although I do have a questions in regards to the bigger sized cards like the 1955, how do people store those raw (never heard of a magnetic that fits them).

Thanks again, really appreciate the knowledge and expertise on this site.

mintacular 02-28-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gustomania (Post 1958416)
Great insight, appreciate all the responses!!! I really do like the look of raw in a magnetic personally.

Although I do have a questions in regards to the bigger sized cards like the 1955, how do people store those raw (never heard of a magnetic that fits them).

Thanks again, really appreciate the knowledge and expertise on this site.

There are non-recessed screw downs you can buy, just put your card in a pre-57 vintage sleeves which is wider before putting it in there to prevent surface damage, there are also 8 pocket sleeves for the wider pre-57 cards

swarmee 02-29-2020 03:06 AM

A lot of people keep their raw cards in Cardsaver Is so they can shuffle them around in their hands and look at them easier. A whole lot thinner and cheaper than magnetics or graded cases.