Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is there a specifc thread to ask for a legit check? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=282727)

Seven 05-05-2020 11:46 AM

Is there a specifc thread to ask for a legit check?

Hi All,

I didn't want to post in the improper place, but there's an ebay auction of an ungraded card that I was interested in, and I wanted a better set of eyes then my own to take a look at it to determine whether or not it's real. The Seller has good feedback and has multiple auctions running, though I doubt that means much. Thanks!

Edit: Also I'm not sure of the etiquette when it comes to posting listings. Thanks again

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-BOWMAN...53.m1438.l2649

RL 05-05-2020 01:00 PM

after reading the sellers feedback, I would not buy from her

Seven 05-05-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL (Post 1977858)
after reading the sellers feedback, I would not buy from her

Appreciate the insight. Any particular reason why? What should I be on the lookout for?

vthobby 05-05-2020 01:24 PM

high value fraud...

Her last 2 or 3 Negatives were $1500 and up and they claim fraud. She is in Canada which sucks also. The Mantle appears diamond cut but also trimmed on the top edge. Stay away/

Peace, Mike

bobbyw8469 05-05-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 1977863)
Her last 2 or 3 Negatives were $1500 and up and they claim fraud. She is in Canada which sucks also. The Mantle appears diamond cut but also trimmed on the top edge. Stay away/

Peace, Mike

But even AUTHENTIC only, the Mantle has some value.

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-05-2020 01:33 PM

Card is 100% trimmed, and rather violently at that.

vthobby 05-05-2020 01:35 PM

Bobby.....

That was implied.......he was asking an opinion on the card. If someone does not know that a 1952 Bowman Mantle holds value regardless then they have been living in Norway under some Moss. :)

It's most likely an atuhentic on the 1 to 10 scale. Values are all over the internet for an Authentic slabbed 1952 Mantle.

I's stay away regardless due to the recent negatives and her being in Canada.

You could get the same thrill and spend $1000 in overseas online gambling.

Good luck winning or ever getting your money back! Same thing! :)

Peace, Mike

Seven 05-05-2020 02:25 PM

Thank you everyone, for weighing in on this. Definitely going to stay away, I could tell something was a little off but I wanted to defer to better judgement.

drcy 05-05-2020 02:47 PM

As far as board etiquette goes, this is the Pre-War section so the post war section is more appropriate. Though, in reality, it was fine to post your post in this section.

It is always okay to ask about the authenticity of an auction item, even when it is ongoing.

Some people complain about "outing" ongoing auctions, but asking about authenticity is fine and what the board should be about.

And the rule against outing an auction is just some people's opinions, and there is no written rule anywhere on this board against it.

Leon 05-06-2020 01:51 PM

+1...

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1977888)
As far as board etiquette goes, this is the Pre-War section so the post war section is more appropriate. Though, in reality, it was fine to post your post in this section.

It is always okay to ask about
the authenticity of an auction item, even when it is ongoing.

Some people complain about "outing" ongoing auctions, but asking about authenticity is fine and what the board should be about.

And the rule against outing an auction is just some people's opinions, and there is no written rule anywhere on this board against it.

grainsley 05-07-2020 01:02 PM

I'm just trying to figure out why Canada is such a bad place!:D

vthobby 05-07-2020 01:45 PM

Love Canada.....

Grant,

I love Canada......Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa...... absolute heaven!

All I meant was the Covid Situation and mailing from Country to Country.

I'd buy the item from Canada if the seller was 100% and the item was something I wanted!

No offense intended! I love Canada! Aucune infraction prévue! J'adore le canada!

Peace, Mike
Paix, Mike :)

grainsley 05-07-2020 01:59 PM

Je suis tres jolie, merci bien, mon ami!

(I have always thought it was a nice place, in spite of the mail being slower than usual here, which we were used to!)

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 05-07-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1977866)
Card is 100% trimmed, and rather violently at that.

Just curious about how you can tell 100% that it has been trimmed. Off centered cuts are fairly common in 1952 Bowman (i.e. one corner higher than another).

Check out this listing from the latest REA auction:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=65598

Severely higher on the top right corner. But yes, just because it's in an SGC holder doesn't necessarily mean this one isn't trimmed as well. *sigh*

I'm not questioning your judgement, I just want to know what else you are looking for. Is there an edge characteristic?