Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=282851)

Farm_kid 05-08-2020 01:39 PM

What would you do?

Sorry if you saw this in the prewar forum already. I was curious what people with no interest in modern cards would think. I post here to see what folks more tuned into modern releases might do.

Two years ago I bought a Topps Series 1 Jumbo Box that I opened.

I just realized that one of the cards was not a base common but rather an SSP Variation! Not autgraphed, not serial #d, just an SSP.

The card is still in pack fresh condition (soft sleeve and Card Saver 1).

So if you were going to sell it (to buy more T206s of course!) would you first get it graded? or just try to sell it raw? There are none on ebay right now.

Three ungraded examples have sold on eBay since last February.
$250 BIN
$369 ? Best Offer accepted
$349 ? Best Offer accepted

swarmee 05-08-2020 01:55 PM

Generally, you can see that the market for those cards is mainly for Master set collectors or player collectors that don't need them graded. Otherwise, the other sellers would have taken the time to get them graded. If it was Topps Heritage instead, I would have said graded because they are more people that grade those SPs.

AGuinness 05-08-2020 04:37 PM

I would sell it raw, unless it's Trout (and even then, I'd probably still sell raw).
What card is it? Let's see a pic!

Farm_kid 05-11-2020 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGuinness (Post 1978857)
I would sell it raw, unless it's Trout (and even then, I'd probably still sell raw).
What card is it? Let's see a pic!

It is a Trout Card!

Thanks for the good ideas. I think I am leaning towards grading. The long wait time are what's holding me back from grading.

AGuinness 05-11-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farm_kid (Post 1979660)
It is a Trout Card!

Thanks for the good ideas. I think I am leaning towards grading. The long wait time are what's holding me back from grading.

Dang, that is so sweet! Congrats on a great hit!

Be sure to take a loupe and spend some time looking at it (especially corners and edges), as it cannot be assumed that every card out of a pack will be a PSA 10. I think that's far from the case. If the grade will be a difference maker, then a hard look with a critical eye will help (for instance, you'd be happy with PSA 9 or PSA 10, but PSA 8 wouldn't be worth it).

The Blowout card forum is another resource you may want to explore, both in terms of gauging if it's worth to grade and also for a possible sale on their B/S/T section (if you don't have an account there, just read up on their rules as it is run a bit differently than Net54). And if you go the eBay route, it may be worth a few minutes to look at COMC's auction fee structure to see if it might help you make the most of a sale there.

No matter, what a thrill to pull such a great card from a pack! Congrats!

swarmee 05-11-2020 02:37 PM

Good recommendations Garth. If you're worried about turnaround time, use either Beckett or SGC right now. Beckett would need to be at one of their guaranteed-ish turnaround times (10 days or less?).
COMC auctions would probably be a good place for it, but I'm more likely to list this kind of card BIN since set builders who still need it may pay higher in a straight transaction that in a bidding situation to mark it off their list.